News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Charger Roof Script Emblems

Started by 69hemidaytona, July 16, 2011, 08:03:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69hemidaytona

2841886 2841887 After reading hemi Gene's and John B's threads on the restoration of their Daytonas I learned that the Charger roof script emblems have different part numbers for each side. Can someone tell me how you can tell the difference between the two? Also are there reproductions that may be confused with original factory parts?

Davtona

I do not know how to tell a 887 from an 886 other than I think it should the have 887 part number. I recently purchased a pair of what was supposed to be was 887 emblems only to find that they had both the 6 and the 7 in the part number. So I wondering if these are period correct old parts and thats how they are or if these are a later version before they did away with the 887 completly.  :shruggy:  Does any one have a picture of the backside of an 887 emblem I'd like to figure this out also.

UFO

Happen to have my original emblems off the car.

nascarxx29

I got the parts 60--70-s catalogs on CD .The parts book may list the early late diffferences between the 2 part numbers etc :Twocents:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=78860.0
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

UFO

What I noticed while looking at these is there is no evidence of them having the black painted edge.

69hemidaytona

Here is a pic of one of the emblems I just bought. It is supposed to be NOS. I bought a pair and the other one has the same 887 part number on the back. They are not in any box. If these 887 part numbers are so rare I wonder how it is that I bought 2 emblems and both just happen to be the rare number? Did I get real lucky or are mine reproduction that have the part number on them as some reproduction parts do now?

hemigeno

We had a set of dial calipers out once and tried to measure differences between the two styles (I did find a mint condition 887 for the driver's side on my car and we had a couple of other originals to check).  There honestly isn't much difference at all between the two pieces, and from what I remember it had to do with the width/angle of the beveled edge only in a couple of spots - i.e., the overall width at the base of the part that is painted black.  AFAIK, that "vertical" edge should be painted black on all of them.

The mounting pins are in the same location, so an 886 emblem will fit on both sides... which probably explains why Chrysler did away with maintaining an inventory of one of the two p/n's.

Tony, since you have a nice condition 887 emblem, I'd use it because there's no reason not to.  However, there probably aren't very many (if any) people on the planet who would know the difference without measuring.  I'm not so sure there couldn't be variances in the molds from one period's casting to another, so it may be hard for anyone to say what's "correct" with a high degree of certainty.  I wouldn't sweat it either way.

As for reproduction emblems, I don't recall anyone ever repopping the 887's, although Chrysler did re-issue the 886's themselves some time back.  Chrysler would have an interest in protecting their turf with non-licensed reproductions (your pic has a pentastar), so my guess is what you have are originals.

:Twocents: :cheers:

Mopar John

Quote from: 69hemidaytona on July 17, 2011, 10:26:37 PM
Here is a pic of one of the emblems I just bought. It is supposed to be NOS. I bought a pair and the other one has the same 887 part number on the back. They are not in any box. If these 887 part numbers are so rare I wonder how it is that I bought 2 emblems and both just happen to be the rare number? Did I get real lucky or are mine reproduction that have the part number on them as some reproduction parts do now?
Tony,
It's funny you bring this up! Back in the late 80's I bought 4 NOS emblems from Koeller Dodge thinking I would have a set for each Daytona. During the process of restoring the B5 Daytona I learned about the 886 and 887 part numbers. I started a hunt for an NOS 887. Since they were out of production for 20 + years they are very very hard to find NOS! When time was running out I was able to buy a mint condition pair of 886 and 887 from Doug Schellinger AERO426 on this site. Then at the last minute I did find my NOS 887!
About 6 weeks ago there was an auction on EBAY selling a pair of 887's for around $70.00 buy it now! I thought what the heck and bought them. I figured if they were correct I could make 2 more pair! When the emblems arrived there was no factory packaging and both emblems looked like someone had altered the 6 into sort of looking like a 7!
I contacted the seller Metro Parts and told them of my disappointment and they let me return them. I noticed that in many of their EBAY ads the emblems are laying on an old logo type paper that gives a impression of old NOS. I think most are new releases and not old NOS!
MJ

maxwellwedge

Quote from: 69hemidaytona on July 17, 2011, 10:26:37 PM

Who is selling you all this NOS? That could very well determine if it is NOS, NNS (New New stock) or flat out repop.

Davtona

Quote from: Mopar John on July 18, 2011, 06:16:27 PM

Tony,
It's funny you bring this up! Back in the late 80's I bought 4 NOS emblems from Koeller Dodge thinking I would have a set for each Daytona. During the process of restoring the B5 Daytona I learned about the 886 and 887 part numbers. I started a hunt for an NOS 887. Since they were out of production for 20 + years they are very very hard to find NOS! When time was running out I was able to buy a mint condition pair of 886 and 887 from Doug Schellinger AERO426 on this site. Then at the last minute I did find my NOS 887!
About 6 weeks ago there was an auction on EBAY selling a pair of 887's for around $70.00 buy it now! I thought what the heck and bought them. I figured if they were correct I could make 2 more pair! When the emblems arrived there was no factory packaging and both emblems looked like someone had altered the 6 into sort of looking like a 7!
I contacted the seller Metro Parts and told them of my disappointment and they let me return them. I noticed that in many of their EBAY ads the emblems are laying on an old logo type paper that gives a impression of old NOS. I think most are new releases and not old NOS!
MJ

John,

Same story here. I also had like 3 sets of the NOS emblems from back in the 80's stashed away when I also learned about the 886 & 887 difference. I picked up a set of the emblems you are refering to for about $70.00 for the pair on a buy it now a couple of months back. I emailed the seller & asked for a part number before I bought them and the reply came back 887. Thats when he added the part number to the buy it now. As it turns out they have both the 886 & 887 numbers on them. No mention of the 886 number which is also plainly visible in his reply. They have the penta star on them also but I'm skeptical as to them being period correct NOS. Unfortunately I didn't send them back.  :rotz:  Add them to the pile of other incorrect stuff. Oh the games we play.     Dave

ODZKing

There must be something different in the pins ...  :shruggy: 
99% of the time Chrysler used even numbers for right, and odd for left.  There are only a couple of occasions where they are not and naturally items that are not L-R it doesn't matter.
The other way is in the parts books, right is listed first.  So a number (for example) would be listed as 2841886-7, would be right-left.
But that is how you tell.

Charger-Bodie

I used NOS ones on my car with the two diff part numbers. I used my old sail panels for templates to drill the holes. The emblems seem idendical other than the numbers. They sway side to side and eveything with out any (noticable) difference.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Patronus

Quote from: UFO on July 17, 2011, 06:09:08 PM
What I noticed while looking at these is there is no evidence of them having the black painted edge.

I was under the impression that the '70's were unpainted.  :shruggy:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Mopar John

Quote from: Davtona on July 18, 2011, 09:18:30 PM
Quote from: Mopar John on July 18, 2011, 06:16:27 PM

Tony,
MJ

John,

Same story here. I also had like 3 sets of the NOS emblems from back in the 80's stashed away when I also learned about the 886 & 887 difference. I picked up a set of the emblems you are refering to for about $70.00 for the pair on a buy it now a couple of months back. I emailed the seller & asked for a part number before I bought them and the reply came back 887. Thats when he added the part number to the buy it now. As it turns out they have both the 886 & 887 numbers on them. No mention of the 886 number which is also plainly visible in his reply. They have the penta star on them also but I'm skeptical as to them being period correct NOS. Unfortunately I didn't send them back.  :rotz:  Add them to the pile of other incorrect stuff. Oh the games we play.     Dave

Dave,
Since you still have your 887's stamped over the 886's would you share a picture of these with us on this post? I have spoke with Tony by phone who originated this post and he thinks there may be more to this story? So far the only restamps have come in generic non Chrysler packaging! I would be curious if anyone out there has a double stamp with original packaging. This would also give a time frame of when they were produced!
Thanks! John

ODZKing

66 and 67 used 2602638.  Same as 68-70 BUT the difference is they have 3 pins on the back.

Davtona

Quote from: Mopar John on July 19, 2011, 09:12:03 AM

Since you still have your 887's stamped over the 886's would you share a picture of these with us on this post? I have spoke with Tony by phone who originated this post and he thinks there may be more to this story? So far the only restamps have come in generic non Chrysler packaging! I would be curious if anyone out there has a double stamp with original packaging. This would also give a time frame of when they were produced!
Thanks! John

Here is closeup of my emblem. The 887 is not stamped over the 886 or vice versa. Rather both numbers are raised up and cast into the emblem. No stamping. Came in just a plastic bag. Nothing identifying it as Chrysler packaging.

Mopar John

Quote from: Davtona on July 19, 2011, 09:16:33 PM
Quote from: Mopar John on July 19, 2011, 09:12:03 AM

Thanks! John

Here is closeup of my emblem. The 887 is not stamped over the 886 or vice versa. Rather both numbers are raised up and cast into the emblem. No stamping. Came in just a plastic bag. Nothing identifying it as Chrysler packaging.
Dave,
I am glad you still had these emblems and have great camera skills to boot! Now everyone can see what is being discussed on this post! The reason that I was calling these restamps is that the emblems I had, had the 7 more on top of the 6. The one that you have the picture of clearly shows both numbers cast into the emblem! Also if you look back in the post the older 887 emblem has the 7 in the same spot as the one in your picture. The horizontal line of the 7 is just above the center of the 8 next to it! It is the 6 that looks like it is out of place!
Thanks! John