News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 Charger chassis measurement and lift points

Started by pkianka, July 23, 2014, 06:59:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pkianka

I am continuing the metal work on my 68 project which got sidetracked.  I have some questions for the body/frame experts on this site....

1. How can I locate the exact chassis lift/mount points that should be used when mounting the car to a body fixture table? Similar to what is discussed in this thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,85375.100.html
I have quarters and rockers to replace and I want to ensure the vehicle is supported properly and at the correct height at all points. I plan to make or buy an adjustable body cart with multiple lift points to act as the fixture table. Any other ideas here would be appreciated as well.

2. How do I find the "datum" line and centerline of the vehicle in order to take accurate chassis measurements? I have a copy of the frame specs with measurements but many measurements are taken from the datum and center reference points. Is there a recommended procedure to find these lines or is there another way to accurately get the measurements?

Thanks - Pete

pkianka

Don - That is an amazing job you're doing there.  I thought I had mine taken apart pretty far but yours has to be a world record!

Ok so maybe the height measurements from the datum line referenced in the frame spec diagram is not as important, but how did you ensure your chassis was in the correct place from the beginning? Before you started bracing it and locking it on to the jig you made (nice jig by the way)?

There were specific points at which the factory supported the chassis when it was being built would you say it's important to follow that?  Or just have the chassis level and unmovable on a jig?

I am thinking about purchasing a Uni-Dolly which is 100% height, width and length adjustable.  Thoughts?  Comments?

-Pete

mopar4don

Quote from: pkianka on July 23, 2014, 03:01:44 PM
Don - That is an amazing job you're doing there.  I thought I had mine taken apart pretty far but yours has to be a world record!

Ok so maybe the height measurements from the datum line referenced in the frame spec diagram is not as important, but how did you ensure your chassis was in the correct place from the beginning? Before you started bracing it and locking it on to the jig you made (nice jig by the way)?

There were specific points at which the factory supported the chassis when it was being built would you say it's important to follow that?  Or just have the chassis level and unmovable on a jig?

I am thinking about purchasing a Uni-Dolly which is 100% height, width and length adjustable.  Thoughts?  Comments?

-Pete

Thanks, When I first got into it, I never thought I would go as far as I have. But I don't do things half way! I do the best I can to do it right!
It sounds like what you are planning to fix, you may not need a dolly system.
I would suggest reading this thread. He redid his car with it supported on jack stands.

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?8368-Family-Tradition

Hope this helps.
Don