News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Tor Red with white or black decals

Started by boss429kiwi, July 14, 2011, 02:58:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxwellwedge

Quote from: 440mop on July 20, 2011, 04:04:07 AM
Could it be that as Tor Red isn't exactly Red and was a new colour for 1970, that the decals were applied as if it was an Orange painted car?
John

Actually Tor-Red aka Hemi Orange  (EV2) is a 69-71 color. The E = first year  -  in this case 1969.

Arnie Cunningham

Quote from: Golden-Arm on July 20, 2011, 10:02:58 AM
Quote from: Arnie Cunningham on July 19, 2011, 10:40:29 AM
There are some trustworthy accounts of the quarter decals being delivered in the trunk rather than installed.....

that would seem credible, EXCEPT for the fact that pictures of the cars, at the clairpointe facility show them fully decaled. those "trustworthy sources' are anything but credible. the pictures dont lie. :nana:

Uh... Ok, I guess I have to be more clear...  Most of the cars had the decals correctly installed as the manufacturer intended.  There are cases where "incorrect" colors were applied.  There are also many discrepancies as to whether all decals were installed as intended prior to shipment.

As to the credibility of my source, unless you know the person I spoke with, keep your judgement to yourself.  Anyone who has read the internal documents regarding the shortage issues with decals will know that Plymouth considered having some installed by the receiving dealerships.
Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

boss429kiwi

Interestingly:
Tor red is very similar to Fords Calypso Coral and on Boss 429's they havea white decal (as per photo)
Vitamin C is very similar to fords Grabber orange and on Boss 429's they have a black decal

I believe white decals on Tor red/calypso coral makes this colour POP! When I changed the black decals to White on my Tor red bird, it actually changed the look of the colour. It made the colour brighter, no kidding.

It just works and goes together, so I guess the designers new what they were doing..

gary
NEW ZEALAND (aka Paradise)
1973 De Tomaso Pantera GTS widebody
1970 Superbird, 6pack, 4 speed, Tor-Red, Buckets, restored by Julius
1970 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed, calypso Coral, white shaker
1970 Boss 429 KK2457, Concours, Calypso Coral (SOLD)
1957 Chevy truck, big rear window, ocean green, STOCK!.....nice!