News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Nice lookin' Superbird Clone -HEMI 4spd - Ebay

Started by WINGIN IT, July 18, 2011, 01:21:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Brock Samson

Quote from: WINGIN IT on July 19, 2011, 10:38:46 AM
Quote from: 70Sbird on July 18, 2011, 03:39:24 PM
from the pictures it looks to be a well done car with a window plug and trim, only oddball thing was the T/A -AAR styled exhaust

ACK ! :eek2: How did I not notice that ! 
That kills it for me...   Not that it couldn't be changed , but dang thought this one was true to a tribute.
Dang fools ....

BFD...  :shruggy: a lot of folks sure git their panties inna bunch over this stuff.  :lol:

Old Moparz

I don't understand why people are dog piling on held1823's view on not liking clones. I didn't at all get the impression that there was any arrogance in his posts, only arrogance from the ones ruffled by it.  :shruggy:

His point is very valid for not liking them, but it's the opposite of my own. I'm with the others who don't have any issues with them, & sometimes even more so. My plans include adding a wing & a cone to my '68 Charger, but I may not do a rear window plug or change the tail panel. I don't care if it's right, only that the plug is one of the ugliest things on a Charger & it would be a huge expense & a ton of work to add something I hate.

By the way, the Superbird in the auction looks fine to me.   :coolgleamA:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

xpbprox

Quote from: Patronus on July 19, 2011, 08:44:01 AM
If I were going to inherit a wing car I might be a douche bag too!   :icon_smile_blackeye:
Hahaha

held1823

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on July 19, 2011, 11:26:54 AM
Quote from: held1823 on July 19, 2011, 09:42:24 AM
"my" daytona? i do not own a daytona. is the daytona i mentioned cloned to a 1970 charger? no, but it did leave the factory with 1970 fenders and hood. is it missing the nose cone? yes, it has been missing for many years. is it still the genuine article? yes. do i care if others disagree with my thoughts on fakes? not even when they show their intelligence like the one individual above.

it is amusing that one person's perspective can draw such scorn. apparently the consensus is that everyone should be appreciative of the practice of replicating a car. i do not mind being in the minority, or for being a "douche" for my opinion. 

So basically you can come on here and express your opinion on clones and the rest of us cant state that we disagree?

re-read my comments. they make no mention of me being against anyone else stating their support of clones or of them taking offense to my opinion. it has been a pretty civil disagreement. opinions are opinions, including the name calling, and at the end of the day, the only opinion that should matter to someone is their own. the idea that mine could keep this thread alive, speaks volumes in regard to the topic. i will once again offer to keep my "douche-bag" opinion to myself, in order to not disrupt a wonderful forum board.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Old Moparz

Quote from: held1823 on July 19, 2011, 07:34:16 PM

re-read my comments. they make no mention of me being against anyone else stating their support of clones or of them taking offense to my opinion. it has been a pretty civil disagreement. opinions are opinions, including the name calling, and at the end of the day, the only opinion that should matter to someone is their own. the idea that mine could keep this thread alive, speaks volumes in regard to the topic. i will once again offer to keep my "douche-bag" opinion to myself, in order to not disrupt a wonderful forum board.

Others have been even more opinionated with a more "in your face" attitude, I wouldn't worry too much.   :cheers:
               Bob                

randr

Cant we all get along!? :slap:
Lets see some photos of your dads daytona! :2thumbs: i like pictures! Is it B5? F6? F8?, ??, ?? hemi? 440?
lets turn this thread around so we can all  :drool5:
Pictures!!!!!!!! :icon_smile_big:
I'm Bored! what to do next......

ACUDANUT

Quote from: xpbprox on July 19, 2011, 01:37:17 PM
If I were going to inherit a wing car I might be a douche bag too!   :icon_smile_blackeye:
Hahaha

I have seen cleaner threads get locked because of this childish language.

xpbprox

Quote from: ACUDANUT on July 19, 2011, 08:11:34 PM
If I were going to inherit a wing car I might be a douche bag too!   :icon_smile_blackeye:
Hahaha

I see your point but look, this toaster cooks eggs too.

Old Moparz

Quote from: xpbprox on July 19, 2011, 08:30:14 PM
Quote from: ACUDANUT on July 19, 2011, 08:11:34 PM
Hahaha

I see your point but look, this toaster cooks eggs.

Man, I sure could use one of them, my timing to cook more than one item sucks.  :2thumbs:
               Bob                

DAY CLONA

Quotei will use the upcoming meet at the brickyard as an example of my opinion. (once again, it is just one man's personal opinion.) how many "daytonas" or "superbirds" will it look like are in attendence? enough so that the mystique and rarity of the cars is misrepresented. even when forthright owners state their car is a "recreation" or a "tribute", the vast majority of people could believe that what they are seeing is the genuine article. the general public will not think to check v.i.n numbers and fender tags; they will simply see what their eyes tell them. incredible machines such as john's and gene's may not receive the reverence they are due, when the 1970 charger turned daytona parked next to one of them looks to be of equal provenance.  

Old Moparz.......you see no arrogance in that comment?, it's a thinly disguised  passive/aggressive comment that clearly states that a clone shouldn't be in the same presence of the so-called "real deal" during the brickyard event,....Hmmmmm how many of those so called "real deal" wingcars are going to be "rebodies" or VIN swapped cars?,....how many wearing cloned repro parts?.....perhaps they should be ostracized as well?

Lets face it, the presence of cloned cars of any type have always been looked down apon by some, not because they dilute the history, but the hyped value of the originals, whether that value in some eyes is the status or pedigree that they feel comes from owning such a car, or the portfolio value of an original on the market....some take offense to cloning a car, because it entitles other to obtaining something they feel others shouldn't be able to obtain readly , it breaks down the exclusiveness,....and some don't like that. but won't admit it, so they snobbishly condemn clones....
Most of the Aero board here is about their "love" for wingcars, plain and simple, and their quest to obtain one, whether it be a so called "original" or a clone,....

OK so my rant is done :icon_smile_big:....By the way the Superbird clone is "bitchin" in that Curious Yellow color, much better looking than LimeLight anyday!

Mike

Patronus

Quote from: held1823 on July 19, 2011, 09:42:24 AM
"my" daytona? i do not own a daytona. is the daytona i mentioned cloned to a 1970 charger? no, but it did leave the factory with 1970 fenders and hood. is it missing the nose cone? yes, it has been missing for many years. is it still the genuine article? yes. do i care if others disagree with my thoughts on fakes? not even when they show their intelligence like the one individual above.

it is amusing that one person's perspective can draw such scorn. apparently the consensus is that everyone should be appreciative of the practice of replicating a car. i do not mind being in the minority, or for being a "douche" for my opinion.  

I certainly understand your point, its what you're saying..
Perhaps I read it wrong.. do I have this right? So no one besides...um, you.. and a few hundred others should be the only ones driving around in
Ma's family jewels? Even the guy who formed the metal with his own skill and determination and made his own? with his own hands?!? So that YOU can have a retirement fund? That, my friend, just ain't gonna fly..
Anyway, I will apologize (if I may) since you've taken it so hard. It just struck a nerve.

'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Old Moparz

Quote from: DAY CLONA on July 19, 2011, 10:26:55 PM

Old Moparz.......you see no arrogance in that comment?, it's a thinly disguised  passive/aggressive comment that clearly states that a clone shouldn't be in the same presence of the so-called "real deal" during the brickyard event,....Hmmmmm how many of those so called "real deal" wingcars are going to be "rebodies" or VIN swapped cars?,....how many wearing cloned repro parts?.....perhaps they should be ostracized as well?

Mike

Mike,

In an earlier post he stated that there was no intention to step on others......

Quote from: held1823 on July 18, 2011, 05:32:04 PM

i knew my earlier comment might not be a popular one. it was not intended to single out anyone, nor dismiss the effort and workmanship that talented people put into building a car to suit their own tastes. it was merely a personal opinion of this practice. the money is yours, not mine, and in no way am i trying to dictate how you should spend it. i fully understand the cost concerns of a genuine musclecar, as i have owned a few over the years. my very first car was a (real) 1970 super bee, a rather simple model to clone. what strikes me as ironic is that back in the day, building a "sleeper" was more in vogue. today, it seems there are more "super bees" running around than chrysler ever built. i cannot imagine what it would be like to own a true 1969 z/28, since a six cylinder camaro would seem to be the more rare model of the two.

someone asked why anyone would take issue with cloning a vehicle. i will use the upcoming meet at the brickyard as an example of my opinion. (once again, it is just one man's personal opinion.) how many "daytonas" or "superbirds" will it look like are in attendence? enough so that the mystique and rarity of the cars is misrepresented. even when forthright owners state their car is a "recreation" or a "tribute", the vast majority of people could believe that what they are seeing is the genuine article. the general public will not think to check v.i.n numbers and fender tags; they will simply see what their eyes tell them. incredible machines such as john's and gene's may not receive the reverence they are due, when the 1970 charger turned daytona parked next to one of them looks to be of equal provenance.

i type this with what might be taken as a heavily biased opinion. my parent's have owned their daytona since september of 1969. inheriting this car will be the only way i can ever own a wing car. with only 500 or so of them built, they were never intended to be sitting in everyone's garage. it truely saddens me for the uniqueness and rarity of a daytona, superbird, or even a brand X musclecar to be so easily distorted. no one has share my opinion, but i hope that no one is offended by it. i will let this ramble be my final comments on the cloning subject, and hope that they do not create any hard feelings. this is too nice of a board for one person's opinion to matter, especially from someone such as me, who is on the outside looking in.

I'd be one of the last people to agree with his viewpoint on replica cars, but to get all bent out of shape over his opinion seems like an overreaction to me. There are a few others on here spewing things that seem to be borderline reasons to get banned, yet a politely posted, dislike for a clone gets more people upset?  :shruggy:

Anyway, the only thing that I might agree on with him is that original wing cars do have an edge in being more appealing than a clone, a replica, or a tribute car. If these cars were priced more realistically, I'd own one & not even give a thought to building one.

Bob
               Bob                

Aero426

At the end of the day, the fact that Daytona and Superbird clones exist and will continue to be built has NO effect on the value of the factory built cars.   Zero.  Zip.  Nada.   The Shelby Cobra model is the perfect example.   Look at all the replica Cobras built through the years.   If anything, it has perpetuated the legend and kept it alive.   All those fake Cobras have done nothing to diminish the value of the original cars which are now nearing unobtanium status for mere mortals.   Just like the Cobra buyer, if someone has the money and wants a wing car, in almost all cases, the potential buyer will not consider a clone.     I also believe that almost all the guys who own the nice clones aspire to step up to the real thing if presented with the right opportunity.    The clone can be a stepping stone.  

WINGIN IT

Thanks for posting the pics Tan Top - and getting back on topic.  :yesnod:

The rest of useguys take your Clone haters vs. Real Deals debate to another thread  :rotz: :nana:  :violin: :horse:

Aero426

People might be interested to know that the seller of the Hemi Bird clone has previously owned several factory built Daytonas and Superbirds through the years.   

moparstuart

Quote from: Aero426 on July 20, 2011, 10:08:27 AM
People might be interested to know that the seller of the Hemi Bird clone has previously owned several factory built Daytonas and Superbirds through the years.    
SO NOT ONLY IS A CLONE A STEPPING STONE , some owners of original cars can cash in on a payday and then step down into a clone and still have a wing car !!!
  my buddy jim cordell bought the bronze basket case daytona out of canada , restored it in white and added a/c  enjoyed it and drove it for a bout 5 years , sold it paid off his house , bought a viper and is now slowly building a clone .  I think it now has fender scoopes on it since these picture .
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

DAY CLONA

QuoteI also believe that almost all the guys who own the nice clones aspire to step up to the real thing if presented with the right opportunity.    The clone can be a stepping stone.   

Sorry, I have to be one of the few that disagree with you Doug,...I see an automobile as just a mere machine, nothing more,... there's no "stepping up to the so-called "real thing"..." for me, clone or not, it's just a machine at the beginning, or end of the day, if one wants to pay ALOT extra for a bunch of "so-called" numbers on the dash, or fender tag, to have a "pedigree", or "portfolio Investment" that's fine,....... for me,I'd rather spend that extra cash on performance, and modern upgrades.
...I have, and have had my share of "numbers matching" cars, they all get modified, or cloned,.....numbers and originality, or rarity, or "pedigree" mean nothing IMHO

Mike

71green go

Man I find this kind of thread an embarrassment for the hobby...
Clone or no clone......copies of General Lees or not..
Who really cares at the end of the day what a person does with his property?.....why should anyones opinion of what THEY would do make so many people upset......Its just a car
I don't mind clones, but sure appreciate seeing the real deal 100% more then a copy......I think clones have their place, and draws more people to appreciate cars as a hobby when they see them at local car shows........Most real $100,000 plus cars rarely attend these shows...at least where I live.......

I see no Harm done about held's comments.....But I do see Harm to the hobby about other comments...name calling to me is childish.... :Twocents:

superbirdtom

hey anyone notice he even put in the trunk stops?  MOST CLONERS DON'T GO THAT FAR.

moparstuart

Quote from: superbirdtom on July 20, 2011, 01:04:54 PM
hey anyone notice he even put in the trunk stops?  MOST CLONERS DON'T GO THAT FAR.
i didnt put them in on purpose , much easier to get stuff in and out of the trunk , I drive my car and the trunk is full most of the time

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Aero426

Quote from: DAY CLONA on July 20, 2011, 11:40:24 AM
QuoteI also believe that almost all the guys who own the nice clones aspire to step up to the real thing if presented with the right opportunity.    The clone can be a stepping stone.  

Sorry, I have to be one of the few that disagree with you Doug,...I see an automobile as just a mere machine, nothing more,... there's no "stepping up to the so-called "real thing"..." for me, clone or not, it's just a machine at the beginning, or end of the day, if one wants to pay ALOT extra for a bunch of "so-called" numbers on the dash, or fender tag, to have a "pedigree", or "portfolio Investment" that's fine,....... for me,I'd rather spend that extra cash on performance, and modern upgrades.
...I have, and have had my share of "numbers matching" cars, they all get modified, or cloned,.....numbers and originality, or rarity, or "pedigree" mean nothing IMHO

Mike

Mike, when I said "almost everyone" aspires to the real deal in my post, I realized you are one of the few exceptions as you have made the above point repeatedly on various forums.    You are never shy about sharing this opinion.    

69_500

This car is a very nice looking clone. One that looks like it would be fun to just tool around in.

While we are all just tossing out opinions I'll throw mine out there. I'm a bit like Held on this one. I am not a huge fan of the clones. Yes it would be fun to clone one and drive, but man oh man I want the real thing. I am still holding out for a real Daytona, but once again its just my opinion. I thought about going the clone route, but the closest I could get to that was just thinking about it. I like cars that are the way they were originally.

hemigeno

I'll put on my Moderator's helmet, grab the riot shield and baton for a few seconds here...

Everyone's entitled to their opinions, and we should be able to agree to disagree without being disagreeable in the process.  Topics have been locked for not much more bickering than what's been going on here so far, in part because things don't tend to end well when comments start going beyond stating a personal opinion someone holds and diving into what others should or should not think.

Let's leave the overall discussion about cloning right where it is, and stick with this thread's original topic...

4-speed Hemi 'Bird   :drool5: !!

:2thumbs: