News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I need honest opinions.

Started by jb666, July 18, 2011, 08:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb666

One simple question.

If you saw this on a stranger and knew nothing about the person, would you assume he/she was racist?

This is not intended to turn political. My question is a first impression yes or no.  :popcrn:

TK73

1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

last426

I would not get to the meaning of the ink, I would just know the guy was likely a low life, had poor impulse control, and I would react with him accordingly.  I would likely think him uneducated and would not hire him.  I would recommend any friends stay away from him and none of them date him.  I would speak slowly to him, knowing that I would have to repeat myself over and over until he finally understood.  And if he were a client I would gladly represent him and take his money.  A tattoo says a lot.  Kim

jb666

Keep'm coming! I'm having a debate with someone and need some input.

Quote from: last426 on July 18, 2011, 08:41:59 PM
I would not get to the meaning of the ink, I would just know the guy was likely a low life, had poor impulse control, and I would react with him accordingly.  I would likely think him uneducated and would not hire him.  I would recommend any friends stay away from him and none of them date him.  I would speak slowly to him, knowing that I would have to repeat myself over and over until he finally understood.  And if he were a client I would gladly represent him and take his money.  A tattoo says a lot.  Kim

I have one question for you -- Do you have any tats?

terrible one

Looks cool to me, no way would that alone put any negative thoughts in my head about a person.

bull

It really must say a lot for you to be able to prejudge someone to that extent. :eek2:

charge69

No tats here and do not really care about someone having one or not. That said, if you are covered in tats, I cannot help but think lower of you and your insecurities. Bound to have them (insecurities).

I am a USMC Vietnam combat vet and spent lots of time out of country (U.S. that is) back then. I still remember guys getting drunk and getting a tattoo on liberty , usually in a foreign port somewhere. No problem with it, just not my thing, then or now and have never let it bother or influence me unless it was the "prison tattoo".

That particular tattoo does look racist to me and I would think of the person with it accordingly.

Patronus

You sir are a problem
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

jb666

Quote from: charge69 on July 18, 2011, 08:58:25 PM
No tats here and do not really care about someone having one or not. That said, if you are covered in tats, I cannot help but think lower of you and your insecurities. Bound to have them (insecurities).

I am a USMC Vietnam combat vet and spent lots of time out of country (U.S. that is) back then. I still remember guys getting drunk and getting a tattoo on liberty , usually in a foreign port somewhere. No problem with it, just not my thing, then or now and have never let it bother or influence me unless it was the "prison tattoo".

That particular tattoo does look racist to me and I would think of the person with it accordingly.

That's wonderful. But, your opinion of ink aside you need to realize to a lot it's a means of expression. It's body art.  Tats reflecting a person's level of intelligence is an absolutely absurd thought... Nor do they scream "Hey, I have a low self esteem!".

Now, the idiots "getting drunk and getting tattoos" .. That's a different story.

Ghoste

Simple fast first impression- no.

charge69

I do respect your opinion and .... you asked and I answered honestly. Probably too old to "get" the expession or body art thing. Never did and never will, I suppose.

There was a time when a tattoo almost always said military or former military as it just was not as prevalent in the general population as it is now and ..... I am just too "old school" to see it differently.

Funny now how most of the military frowns on tats, at least publicly displayed, and the general population just seems to think its cool. There is a difference between a tattoo and being "tatted up" and the way people are accepted. Just the way it is.

That tattoo still speaks to me as a racist symbol though. Is it yours or someone you know?

jb666

Quote from: charge69 on July 18, 2011, 09:20:46 PM
I do respect your opinion and .... you asked and I answered honestly. Probably too old to "get" the expession or body art thing. Never did and never will, I suppose.

There was a time when a tattoo almost always said military or former military as it just was not as prevalent in the general population as it is now and ..... I am just too "old school" to see it differently.

Funny now how most of the military frowns on tats, at least publicly displayed, and the general population just seems to think its cool. There is a difference between a tattoo and being "tatted up" and the way people are accepted. Just the way it is.

That tattoo still speaks to me as a racist symbol though. Is it yours or someone you know?

Neither, no... Just in a discussion with someone and figured I'd get some honest opinions here  :cheers:

I'm not knocking you, your opinion or most certainly your past service to our country. Thank you  :2thumbs:

TK73

Quote from: jb666 on July 18, 2011, 09:04:18 PM

Now, the idiots "getting drunk and getting tattoos" .. That's a different story.

Same with joining the Corps too   :D
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

jb666

Quote from: TK73 on July 18, 2011, 09:24:48 PM
Quote from: jb666 on July 18, 2011, 09:04:18 PM

Same with joining the Corps too   :D

I don't know anything about that so I can't comment  :shruggy: All I'm talking about is getting tanked and getting a tat... Waking up the next day thinking "What's this pain I'm feeling on my shoulder!". OOPS.

Charge69, thought you'd like this... Cool post count.

moparguy01

I do believe I would get a better idea of whether it was racist or not within the first 5-10 minutes of talking to them. I would not automatically assume it, but it would put me "on edge" so to speak that I would pay closer attention to their actions and words.

jb666

Quote from: moparguy01 on July 18, 2011, 09:30:36 PM
I do believe I would get a better idea of whether it was racist or not within the first 5-10 minutes of talking to them. I would not automatically assume it, but it would put me "on edge" so to speak that I would pay closer attention to their actions and words.

Well said. I hadn't thought of it like that. Good approach.

charge69

Thanks for the quick reply and I am not condemning you or the person who has the tattoo. Just giving an honest answer to your question. Thanks again for the reply and .... you are welcome for my service.

By the way, General Lee's are really not my thing but I do not dislike them at all. I would much rather see a well-done GL than a junkyard full of old MOPARS!  Your is an outstanding example of the genre. Congrats on the the time and energy ( and money) put in yours to make it right and an outstanding example of the restoration hobby. It is a real tribute to an icon of the automotive world. I followed your thread and cannot imagine the frustration and headaches you endured.

bull

One thing to think about is that while tats are forever (typically), opinions aren't always. Maybe this tat is on the arm of a former white supremacist who now builds Habitat for Humanity homes for poor black people down in Tennessee. :shruggy: I don't think you can really assume anything. People are very complex.

charge69

I did not realize the post count was at "426" a moment ago!!  Almost as good as "happy Hemi day" being April 26th !! Oh well, forward we march!

69 OUR/TEA

Quote from: jb666 on July 18, 2011, 08:29:14 PM
One simple question.

If you saw this on a stranger and knew nothing about the person, would you assume he/she was racist?

This is not intended to turn political. My question is a first impression yes or no.  :popcrn:

Hell no!!!!He'd probably hit you over the head with his banjo and command his bloodhounds to chase you out of his camp !!!!!

That's funny right there I don't care who you are !!!!!!

Cozmo

I feel that the rebel flag represents Southern pride, not racism.  I would not think a person was a racist based upon that tattoo.

Brock Samson

:shruggy:   makes me think of this though...  :lol:

Cooter

Being southern myself, I do not need to be talked to slowly, or stayed away from until you piss me off...
However, I see a tat that states the person is proud to be of southern hertitage, clearly sees all who judge him/her as a typical "White Trash", should reconsider being the Grim Reaper is intertwined in the tat...

Southern pride is nothing to be ashamed of...Taking that pride and forcing others to listen to BS White Supremist garbage is another debate entirely...Basically, I don't see Racism no more in that tat than I do with the Confederate Flag on the roof of my car.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

nvrbdn

i wouldnt think racist thoughts at all, better not show my kid or he will love it.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Kern Dog

I don't know if the tattoo denotes any racism, but it does look like something a biker or a wannabe would have. I have NO tattoos and plan to stay that way. Sometimes I see tattoos on a person and assume that they are a dirtbag. I'm certainly not always correct. I HATE tramp stamps on women. They just scream "I like all the guys to have something to look at while pounding me." Not classy in any way. A man with "sleeve" tattoos or ink on his face seems to be the mark of a man that has given up on a respectable, normal life. There was a  guy that worked at a local convenience store that had his FOREHEAD done. The boss made him wear a hat.
I work in construction, and there are several guys I have met over the years that have ink. They were decent guys for the most part.