News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Paint matching

Started by Ghoste, January 13, 2006, 03:56:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

I found a decklid that is in much better shape than the one on my car.  If I try and get the color matched to put it on in place of the old one, can I expect it to be pretty close?

694spdRT

If you have a good painter it should not be a problem. My buddy has a bittersweet '69 AMX with an older metal flake finish and he had to have a front fender touched up after a little accident. Once it was repaired and blended the repair is not noticeable.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Ghoste

Yeah, I've seen a lot of great blow-in's but my worry was with it being such a large section and no blending in really, am I not just begging for a glaring mistake?

694spdRT

I was trying to look at your signature pic but, I can't tell real well . Doesn't the roofline come down and help break up the rear area? Even if it is off a little that would help hide the transition.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Ghoste

No, there is about a six inch panel that goes all the way around the deck lid.  On either side of it and under the back light.  I could live with it if it's close because the car will need a complete body job, well, it needs it now.  But if it's a real obvious change, I'm not sure I could take it being like that for the next year.

Drop Top

It greatly depends on the one doing the matching and how bad the rest of the paint has faded. You say the rest of the car needs painted anyway. I would buy the deck lid and put it away in the rafters. Then when you get the car painted thats when you bring out the other lid. No need in doing it twice. You've gone this long with it. Whats another year? If the paint on the car is faded its going to be really hard to match without fading/blending into the 1/4s and that adds to the expence of the job greatlly.

Ghoste

It's not that faded, it just needs some bodywork and the repaint is obviously going to be needed after that.  It's just that with this year being the 40th anniversary of the Charger, there are a lot of shows happening for the fastbacks so it'd be nice to hit some of them and have the car looking as nice as I can reasonably make it.
The deck lid that is currently on the car looks like it was probably rusted on the lip above the taillights.  I'm only guessing but it appears that it was a difficult (or impossible) spot to try and patch so they rolled the lip back a little and in effect made the panel shorter.  Now when you're behind the car, it gives the appearance of the trunk being opened a 1/4 inch.  No big deal but one of those things that bug you.