News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

R/T Cloning And Non A/C Dash Questions (Woes)

Started by Rustymuscle, August 21, 2011, 10:09:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rustymuscle

I'm picking up speed in finishing my '69 Charger but am running into some snags and need some DC advice. First, I'm having a devil of a time finding the right R/T badge for the rear valance. Since this was a non-R/T originally, the rear valance badge (between the two taillights) was the "Charger" insignia and has THREE holes (see image below).

I've picked up R/T badges from both Year One and another smaller vendor, and both have been incorrect - both in size and fitment.

Question: Was there an actual difference from the R/T and the non-R/T's tail panel? Do the rear R/T tags fit the non-R/T cars? Have I just not gotten the right part yet, or am I stuck either cutting up my already painted car to weld in a reproduction R/T panel or living with no R/T tag in back?

Lastly, I've heard a lot of conflicting views on converting an A/C-equipped car to a non-A/C dash. Can I simply replace the bottom corner vents with block off plates as well as the center lower dash pad? Will the non-A/C pads fit on an A/C-equipped dash? And does anybody sell the radio delete plate?

Thanks!
-Kevin
1969 Dodge Charger R/T, 535ci Wedge, 727 w/ GV, Dana 60
1970 Dodge Super Bee
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT HEMI

Troy

The tail panels are the same but the holes for the emblems are not. I don't know the measurements off hand.

If I remember right, the non-A/C dash doesn't even have holes for the A/C vents. Those trim pieces in the end don't cover the holes - they just clip in to small square holes in the flat metal (which may not exist on the A/C dash). There's probably a way to make the work though. The center pad should mount the same way as an A/C pad so I think you're ok there. I'll try to check mine later today if I make it to the garage after my niece's birthday party.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Rustymuscle

Thanks for the input, Troy. Looks like I'm in trouble, because the R/T tag won't cover the holes made by the "Charger" tail emblem...and I hate the idea of drilling holes into the car.

Let me know on the side vents. I'd like to use the block-off plates, but if they don't work, then they won't work.
1970 Dodge Super Bee

Troy

I hate to admit it but I'd have to look to see how a 69 is done. In 68, there is a Charger emblem and the triangle emblem on the tail. When you got an R/T its emblem replaced the triangle but the Charger emblem was still there. With the giant tail lights on the 69 maybe they didn't have room for both.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Rustymuscle

Unfortunately, a little homework discovered the following:

The hole pattern is different from a '69 R/T and a '69 non-R/T. Here's a pic from a R/T tail panel hole pattern:

Troy, unlike the '68, the '69 either had the "Charger" script tag (with the arrow emblem) or just a larger "R/T" emblem without the Charger script. See the following examples:

Now, my question is: is there a decal equivalent of the '69 R/T emblem which doesn't require me to drill into my tail panel, or a drill pattern to drill into my tail panel? I can't be the only person whose cloned their Charger into a R/T...

That, and any info about converting my dash to non-A/C and a radio delete plate.

Thanks again.
1970 Dodge Super Bee

Lennard

The end caps do not cover the complete holes where the vents normally are at the end of the dash and the closed "center dash pad" does fit and mounts the same as the "center dash pad" with the vents.

doctor4766

A decal can be made but won't look as good as the correct badge.
In fact I'll be doing one for my car soon.
Gotta love a '69

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Lennard on August 22, 2011, 01:22:32 AM
The end caps do not cover the complete holes were the vents normally are at the end of the dash and the closed "center dash pad" does fit and mounts the same as the "center dash pad" with the vents.

:iagree:

The Non-AC dash frame is different from the AC dash frame for the corner AC vents.

The Non-AC center pad will interchange between the frames...
Chris' '69 Charger R/T