News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Put the speakers in my door panels but you'd have a hard time finding um.

Started by 70charginglizard, January 14, 2006, 09:15:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70charginglizard

Well I went back and forth as to where I was going to place my front speakers in the lizard. at one point I was going to put um in the kick panels but found clearance to be just way too much of an issue. I tried squeezing them into the vents but that proposed other problems. Like getting air. So after much deliberation I settled with chopping the inside of the door panels as I've seen a lot of other people do. But I did it to where the speakers are inset into the doors and the door panels have slit cuts in them to allow the sound thru but the vinyl has not been disturbed.
A lot of work. Took me about 6 hours to do both sides but you'd never know I have door speakers by the looks of things.

Doesn't sound to bad either. The sound actually penetrates the vinyl pretty well.

Passenger side Pics-
70charginglizard

70charginglizard

70charginglizard

bull

Charger4404spd

Mefirst

Mopar440+6

Nice! Very clean install. I was considering putting a set of speakers in the doors but I think Im probably going to end up fiberglassing a set into the kick-panels...
"If you cant fix it with a wrench, get a hammer. If that doesn't work, get a bigger hammer!"

General_01

That is pretty cool. I would have never thought of that. Thanks for the idea. :2thumbs:
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

69pistolgripRT

1969 RT 440 Pistol Grip 4-speed

Savannah, Ga

Charger Aficionado

Ingenious!  (How I'm gonna do mine now!  That and the two under rear headliner, one in rear deck, and the 3-speaker dash should sound GREAT...  I think I will go for a 2-way door speaker though...  Did you trim ANY metal at all on the door frame?

70charginglizard

Quote from: Charger Aficionado on January 14, 2006, 10:05:47 PM
   Ingenious!  (How I'm gonna do mine now!  That and the two under rear headliner, one in rear deck, and the 3-speaker dash should sound GREAT...  I think I will go for a 2-way door speaker though...  Did you trim ANY metal at all on the door frame?

Yeah, I had to cut away about 1/2 inch uppper and lower so I could get the speakers in. I mounted them inside so they could be flush and not push on the door panels. I am very happy with the results and would recommend the process for someone looking for a hidden system.
70charginglizard

69charger2002

i also think you did a killer job. that's hwo i'm gonna do mine. i ended up putting baby tweeters with stick on tape in the upper corners of my pillar posts. hate it. i'm going to do what you did now. excellent job, and thanks for sharing that.
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

69bananabeast

Great , wish I had thought of that I cut holes out of door panels for mine  :rotz:
1969 Charger  446
1970 Charger  318
1932 Ford Rat Rod   (under construction)

Silver R/T

I was considering doing same with mine but sound still would not be as clean behind vinyl
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

TruckDriver

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

CB

1968 Dodge Coronet 500

tick68charger

I think ill go with the dual voice coil dash speaker I hear it sounds like you have both speakers instead of one. It has a left and right hook up mounts right where the old mono speaker mounts. No cutting
which is a plus for me.

70charginglizard

Quote from: CB on January 15, 2006, 05:16:17 AM
cool dude!
How you managed not to cut in the vinyl?
There is a mesh material between the cardboard and the vinyl. As your cutting the cardbord you can feel it after the last ply of carboard is cut. From there you are very careful not to cut too deep. Kind of nearve racking but if your careful it can be done. A very good zacto knife and patience is a must!!!
70charginglizard

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: tick68charger on January 15, 2006, 11:45:37 AM
I think ill go with the dual voice coil dash speaker I hear it sounds like you have both speakers instead of one. It has a left and right hook up mounts right where the old mono speaker mounts. No cutting
which is a plus for me.

Thats what I did in my car from www.customautosound.com

Kelly you did a great job!    :cheers:

What are you going to use to cover the wire through the door for appearance/weatherproofing?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

CB

Quote from: 70charginglizard on January 15, 2006, 12:29:57 PM
Quote from: CB on January 15, 2006, 05:16:17 AM
cool dude!
How you managed not to cut in the vinyl?
There is a mesh material between the cardboard and the vinyl. As your cutting the cardbord you can feel it after the last ply of carboard is cut. From there you are very careful not to cut too deep. Kind of nearve racking but if your careful it can be done. A very good zacto knife and patience is a must!!!

thanks for the tip ! :)
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

FastbackJon

Exellent job!

I went about it the same way on my '66 and '67. I mounted a pair of 6x9's to the back of the trunk divider, and they can't be seen from the interior of the car, but they sure can be heard!

I would like to mount some more speakers up front, but it seems like drilling the holes for the speaker wires to run through to get to the inside of the door would be a PITA, and I'd end up having to take the whole door off to drill them.
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

haueter66

haven't tried it yet, but I was thinking maybe a right angle drill?

eSJayDee

/QUOTEI think ill go with the dual voice coil dash speaker I hear it sounds like you have both speakers instead of one./QUOTE

I'd recommend against those by Custom AutoSound.  Yes, it's remarkable how they manage to replicate the surround aspects of 2 speakers w/ just one centrally located one, but I was/am somewhat disappointed w/ the sound quality.
Someone makes 2 small separate speakers that are mounted in a frame that goes in the std 4x10 mount.  Although I don't have personal experience w/ them, I'd suggest giving them a try rather than the DVC types.
I did a review of my sound system maybe 6 months ago if you want to dig up the thread.

mustanghater

New Muscle car forum
http://usav8.com/aamc/index.php
www.myspace.com/spencespeed

70charginglizard

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on January 15, 2006, 05:03:14 PM
Quote from: tick68charger on January 15, 2006, 11:45:37 AM
which is a plus for me.

Thats what I did in my car from www.customautosound.com

Kelly you did a great job!    :cheers:

What are you going to use to cover the wire through the door for appearance/weatherproofing?

Im not too worried about the speaker wires other than chafing issues and I put in some gromets in the holes for that. The doors will pretty much so be closed during the shows. So no ones going to see the wires untill I open the door.
If you have any sugestions (other than painting the speaker wire from the body to the door) I'd like to hear um. 
70charginglizard

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

69_500

Sweet looking installation. I'd love to do something along those lines with the 500, but then again the AM doesn't sound too good no matter what stereo it is being played on. I need to find a AM/FM radio to put in the car.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Gonna move this to the interior section for tech refrence
Quote from: 70charginglizard on January 15, 2006, 10:05:15 PM
[quote author=Just 6T9_CHGR.... link=topic=8402.msg101084#msg101084 date=1137362594

If you have any sugestions (other than painting the speaker wire from the body to the door) I'd like to hear um.

Radio Shack sells a black spiral wire loom that would look nice there.  It would be able to flex enough when you open/close the door as well.  I agree you wont see the wires at all.
Chris' '69 Charger R/T