News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

540 stroker ??

Started by Highbanked Hauler, September 16, 2011, 05:16:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highbanked Hauler

Questions again,  I have been talking to a guy who has a 440 stroked to 540, OK The engine has a 7-1  CR. I asked why and he said its to get the 540 stroke. Is that possibly true or is he blowing smoke. The price is 3500 which i thought was low for all the work that had been done... :shruggy:  Thanks..
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

BSB67

The only logical reason one would build a 7:1 CR 540 is because they wanted too, for what ever reason.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

tan top

Quote from: BSB67 on September 16, 2011, 05:23:48 PM
The only logical reason one would build a 7:1 CR 540 is because they wanted too, for what ever reason.

:yesnod:

a 540 in a  OEM 440 block  , bet there has been serious clearencing  , for the rods / crank !! going on , !  to the bottom of the bores & oil  pick up cast boss ! prolly running an external oil line for that kind of stroke  :scratchchin:
:shruggy:  building a motor that big stroke  , is putting a lot of stress on  a stock OEM 440 , needs ductile iron main caps & block girdle ,  :Twocents:
maybe ok with out , for a while  , or longer  :-\  if your not going to take if over 55 hundred !  & just use it for low down  torque :Twocents:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

suntech

The low CR could be that it was planned to run it with a blower, and high boost :scratchchin:

Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

Cooter

Never ceases to amaze me how little people know bout Stall Converters, Dome psitons[pop ups!?], and stroker engines. Sounds like your guy might be full-ochit as they say....Only one way to find out..Ask him to pull the oil pan and snap some pics of his engine if it's out of the car.

"I had to build it @ 7.1:1 compression to get the 540 C.I. out of it"..."I only bought the stroker crank/rods cause they came with the pistons and decided to mill off the tops until the compression droped enough to run on Grandpappy's cough syrup"...
"I got one dem 440 Hemi's out in the shed too. It has 25.4:1 compression Special, "Diesel" pistons in it." "We dyno'd it out and it made 5689 HP at the wheels of course, cause I just saw where saying 1000 HP at the wheels on YouTube ain't cool no more"...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: suntech on September 16, 2011, 05:48:37 PM
The low CR could be that it was planned to run it with a blower, and high boost :scratchchin:

That was the only thing I could think of. I also thought the price was a little slight for all that was done to it when you see a rebuilt 440 go for 5-8 K   and a crate motor for up to 10K  Iam not pressed for a motor so I just keep watching and learning.  :P
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

mauve66

hawaii racing sells the short block 520 and 540 on ebay for 3200-3500, i've always been told that the 520 would be ok in a stock block but the 540 would be pushing it a little if you put NOS to it also, read somewhere that a 540 in a stock block needs to stay below 600hp or you might as well get a mega block
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

69charger440

He is not talking about compression. I think the guy is refering to the rod length. (7.100) Just a thought!! :2thumbs:
1969 Charger 540 Blown Hemi 1000HP, 69 Road Runner 500 Stroker 665 HP

Chryco Psycho

I like to stay around 512 CI for a street duty / long life build
the 7.1" rod is normal so that could be the misunderstanding for sure

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on September 17, 2011, 02:16:30 AM

Thats why I am here asking questions.. I am not up on engines, collision and paint yes HP, no..    

Just checked again  and ( YA'LL ARE RIGHT)  It is rod length.. I'll learn someday!!!!!!!
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

69charger440

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on September 17, 2011, 02:31:52 PM
Quote from: Chryco Psycho on September 17, 2011, 02:16:30 AM

Thats why I am here asking questions.. I am not up on engines, collision and paint yes HP, no..    

Just checked again  and ( YA'LL ARE RIGHT)  It is rod length.. I'll learn someday!!!!!!!

Glad we could be of help!!! :2thumbs:
1969 Charger 540 Blown Hemi 1000HP, 69 Road Runner 500 Stroker 665 HP