News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

big block aluminum head choices

Started by Brightyellow69rtse, September 16, 2011, 07:16:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brightyellow69rtse

ok guys im torn weather to get aluminum heads for the 440 or stick with the 452's i have

ive read the stealths will fit my crappy hedman headers but they need $ put into them am i correct?

if memory serves me correct the eddys are fine outta the box but i need new headers. what headers fit these heads? tti is a little much right now unfortunatly

is there any other good alternatives out there?

this is for my 440 .055 over,zero deck kb icon pistons,scat hbeam rods, street dominator intake,  heres the cam  http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LUN-60303LK/

any infor would be greatly appreciated thanks, mike

dstryr

My Stealths were fine OOTB but I did upgrade to comp cams locks and retainers.  All heads should be checked OOTB and I do think Stealths now come with comp cams locks/retainers. 

Doug's headers will fit the stealths like a glove. :Twocents:
dstryr, since 1986.

Bill of Rights
Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Not available in all states. Some restrictions apply.

Brightyellow69rtse

anyone know how the hedman or hookers fit? i just checked the ceramic dougs, almost 700 :(

Chryco Psycho

Hedmans with prevent the mini starter fitting , hookers flange is too high & has to be ground down to fit flat against the head
the other issue with cheap headers is gasket failures & burned wires , it may not take long & you will not only spend more fixing problems caused by cheap headers but the time & aggrevation will add up too

bill440rt

Eddy's & TTI headers. Done. Problems solved.

:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Brightyellow69rtse

eddys and tti is prolly the best way to go im sure. do the tti's really fit that good? the ceramic coated ones are almost $900

bill440rt

Yes, they do!
I never had headers on any of my previous cars before. So when I wanted to run them on my latest project, I didn't want to have to face a nightmare fit problem. The TTI's are a breeze. The only "mod" I had to do, was that the headers had a small dimple to clear a mount embossment on the driver's side of the engine block. Turns out, the header wasn't dimpled enough, so it wasn't sitting flush enough against the cylinder head & it gave me a small exhaust leak. So, rather than dimple the header more & ruin the polished ceramic coating, I just whipped out the die grinder & shaved the embossment on the block a little. No harm done, & the headers fit perfect now.

FWIW, I've heard Doug's are a near identical match to the TTI's. But, they are almost comparable in price now.

Might I also suggest Remflex gaskets. They are AWESOME!!
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Brightyellow69rtse

i was just looking at their site they say not to use the coated headers on an engine breakin. if i go with coated headers i guess ill have to make my hedmans fit for breakin anyway.

68blue

Another vote for Eddy heads and TTI Headers. The fit was very good on my 383.

70sixpkrt

QuoteEddy's & TTI headers. Done. Problems solved
I agree.
Quotei was just looking at their site they say not to use the coated headers on an engine breakin
I agree. The heat on a breakin will ruin the coating.

440-6pk, 4-speed, Dana 60 with 3:54  
13.01 @107.93 (street tires spinning all the way down)

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: Brightyellow69rtse on September 16, 2011, 09:33:46 PM
i was just looking at their site they say not to use the coated headers on an engine breakin. if i go with coated headers i guess ill have to make my hedmans fit for breakin anyway.

During engine break ins the exhaust temps get VERY hot...    higher than during normal usage. This temp will discolor and ruin the coating on most coated headers...   
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip