News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

No turning back from here.

Started by Ryan, September 17, 2011, 08:20:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger_fan_4ever

Oh ya nothing like original paint stuff :). I got the lime 70 door from my brother he picked it up years ago and hung it in the rafters. Original paint of a r/t, still has the door vin still.

Ryan

Good looking project.
How did that roof skin fit? That's next on my list.
69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: Ryan on June 07, 2012, 06:17:57 PM
Good looking project.

Typical amd fit lol. Hammer and cutting wheel required. The edges that go onto the drip rails had to be trimmed as it was too wide to fit in. It also fit the rear inner structure too tight in the c pillar area. Had to take a block of wood and a hammer tot he inner section to let the skin sit down on it.

Ryan

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on June 08, 2012, 06:46:08 AM
Quote from: Ryan on June 07, 2012, 06:17:57 PM
Good looking project.

Typical amd fit lol. Hammer and cutting wheel required. The edges that go onto the drip rails had to be trimmed as it was too wide to fit in. It also fit the rear inner structure too tight in the c pillar area. Had to take a block of wood and a hammer tot he inner section to let the skin sit down on it.

Well that doesn't sound too bad.

2014 viper TA

Ryan

Not too much progress recently unfortunately.
I did get a little work done on the drivers door gap though. It was way too tight towards the bottom so I cut it open and welded it back up. The end result came out great.

2014 viper TA

b5blue

Patronus

Thats the only part of mine that fit up great. Looking at all the resto threads lets you see just how different each stamping can be.
Looks good though, have you picked a color?
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Ryan

Quote from: Patronus on July 08, 2012, 08:41:37 PM
Thats the only part of mine that fit up great. Looking at all the resto threads lets you see just how different each stamping can be.
Looks good though, have you picked a color?

You know I think it may have been my car more so then the panel. My factory quarter was the same way. I tried 2 different doors.

As far as color goes I'm not sure. I may do it black again But I may go for Q5. Factory color was F5 but I really don't think I want to paint it that color and since the fender tag is MIA I suppose changing the color is ok.

2014 viper TA

Ryan

well after a couple months of not touching the car due to other projects I finally got back at it last weekend.
I started welding the passenger quarter and the dutchmman panel. The dutchman panel is going to need some work as is the window corner on the quarter panels. Passenger side is a joke, the drivers side is close.

The dutchman panel is too short by 3/16 - 1/4" both sides are going to need to get slit and opened up to get the gaps looking good.

pics to follow.

2014 viper TA

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: Ryan on September 12, 2012, 11:41:47 AM
well after a couple months of not touching the car due to other projects I finally got back at it last weekend.
I started welding the passenger quarter and the dutchmman panel. The dutchman panel is going to need some work as is the window corner on the quarter panels. Passenger side is a joke, the drivers side is close.

The dutchman panel is too short by 3/16 - 1/4" both sides are going to need to get slit and opened up to get the gaps looking good.

pics to follow.

Surprise eh  :brickwall:

Sides had to be slit and both corners reworked on mine. Guess I was lucky the length was ok. The window corners were not as bad as other pics i saw on the forum.

Still a PITA.

Keep goin :)

Dino

Quote from: Ryan on July 08, 2012, 01:37:21 PM
Not too much progress recently unfortunately.
I did get a little work done on the drivers door gap though. It was way too tight towards the bottom so I cut it open and welded it back up. The end result came out great.

Are you going to adjust the corners as well?  They are always too tight and on all 2nd gens should be cut, reshaped and welded.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Ryan

Quote from: Dino on September 13, 2012, 11:03:44 AM

Are you going to adjust the corners as well?  They are always too tight and on all 2nd gens should be cut, reshaped and welded.

I already did. It was touching before I made a few cuts and got out the hammer. It still a little tight compared to the gap on the straight edge but I think it looks acceptable. The photo is also a little misleading.

2014 viper TA

Ryan

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on September 13, 2012, 09:47:02 AM
Quote from: Ryan on September 12, 2012, 11:41:47 AM

pics to follow.

Surprise eh  :brickwall:

Sides had to be slit and both corners reworked on mine. Guess I was lucky the length was ok. The window corners were not as bad as other pics i saw on the forum.

Still a PITA.

Keep goin :)

Ya but what can you do. I honestly enjoy fixing some of these issues as it tests my skills and just makes me that much more proud of my work.
I was very impressed with the finished product on your dutchman panel / window corners. The gaps came out great!

2014 viper TA

Dino

Quote from: Ryan on September 13, 2012, 01:49:15 PM
Quote from: Dino on September 13, 2012, 11:03:44 AM

I already did. It was touching before I made a few cuts and got out the hammer. It still a little tight compared to the gap on the straight edge but I think it looks acceptable. The photo is also a little misleading.

:2thumbs:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Ryan

Some pics of the dutchman panel. Spot welder worked wonders on this panel :coolgleamA:
Still need to slice the sides to finish the gaps.

2014 viper TA

Ryan

Pics showing spot welds on the passenger side of the rear window channel.
Passenger side quarter has been welded for the most part. Still a few more welds to make. Also started ripping out the floor pan. I am excited for how easy the floor pan is going to be..... well at least the removal of it.

2014 viper TA

Ryan

Progress on the floor and torsion bar crossmember

2014 viper TA

Fred

Coming along very nicely. Good job.  :2thumbs:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

SmashingPunkFan

Quote from: Ryan on September 16, 2012, 11:00:20 PM
Progress on the floor and torsion bar crossmember

Me likey. Do you have any closeups of the frame rails? :drool5:
Tonight I'm Burning Star IV.
Projects:
1970 Dodge Charger SE (Main Project)
1973 Dodge Charger 400 cid. (Work in progress)
1988 Mustang 2.3 liter 4 cyl.

Looking for Seat tracks for bucket seats.

Ghoste

It sure is scary when you see a unibody car all stripped down that far.  :o :lol: 

You're doing a good thing there.

Ryan

Been making some progress on the floor and torsion bar crossmember the past few days.
I'll have to say this crossmember is one of the better pieces that AMD makes. The fit is very nice.
On a less positive note I really wish I would have decided to replace the floor and crossmember before I started installing the US car tool connectors  :slap: Thankfully I only did one.

2014 viper TA

lexxman

That looks alot easier to do with the floor out. I did mine with the floor still in the car. Just had to open the floor at the ends. Looks good, keep the pictures coming. :2thumbs:

Ryan

Quote from: lexxman on September 22, 2012, 10:50:25 AM
That looks alot easier to do with the floor out. I did mine with the floor still in the car. Just had to open the floor at the ends. Looks good, keep the pictures coming. :2thumbs:

I couldn't imagine doing it with the floor still in  :o

Did you use the AMD crossmember or did you find a used one? I'm up in the air if I'm going to weld this thing in or not. For the most part its OK but a couple things are making me want to find a used OEM piece.  The torsion bar mounts are a little crooked (they look like they will still work though) and the crossmember is narrow in a few spots compared to the original.

2014 viper TA

lexxman

I found a really nice orginal part for $200.00 and it went in pretty easy. I have some pictures on my page. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3238088/1969-dodge-charger/page-7 The AMD looks good and if youthink it will still work,I'd use it. Since you have it in place,how norrow is it?

Ryan

Quote from: lexxman on September 22, 2012, 06:00:01 PM
I found a really nice orginal part for $200.00 and it went in pretty easy. I have some pictures on my page. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3238088/1969-dodge-charger/page-7 The AMD looks good and if youthink it will still work,I'd use it. Since you have it in place,how norrow is it?

It meets the rockers on both sides. What i meant by too narrow is that the frame rail towards the rocker should measure 2 5/8" but the AMD one measures only measures 2 1/8" its not a huge issue but it isn't correct.

2014 viper TA