News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

newbie needs advice on changing to tilt steering column

Started by sm73charger, September 13, 2011, 09:10:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sm73charger

Hey guys, I have a 73 Charge SE with a straight steering column and a T-floor shifter and I am wanting to switch to a used tilt steering column because I cannot afford a new one.

Can anyone tell me what donor cars (makes,models,years) are compatible so that I could get one out of to make the switch.  Thanks a bunch.

Chryco Psycho

this will require fabrication , but the closest match would be a Cordoba Column into 79-80

Kern Dog

I used a tilt column from a 77 Cordoba with  a floor shift automatic.  It fit from the firewall to the dash and the wiring plugged into my Duster without modifications. On the engine side though.......Since these columns were from the same supplier that built steering columns for General Motors, there was a Hybrid sort of connection between the firewall and the steering box. Stock non tilt mopars had a shaft and the coupler. From the firewall forward, the tilit columns had a shaft stub with a rag joint, then a shaft with a coupler. The shaft is too long for use in an A body, but may be closer in other models. I'd measure YOUR car from steering box to firewall, then compare the #s to the Cordoba column. I had to shorten and reweld the shaft to fit my car.