News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Correct Wheels on Daytona

Started by johnnyseville, January 14, 2013, 11:25:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnyseville

I keep seeing the chrome Magnums 500 on most Daytonas instead of the correct Road Wheels with Trim Rings, why is that?  Are they that much better looking?  Have not seen them in person only in pics.
too many to list!

Aero426

The 15 x 7 chrome Magnums (Ford wheels) fill out the wheel openings better.      Some will say that the original 14 x 6 wheels on a Daytona look somewhat anemic. 

moparstuart

Quote from: Aero426 on January 14, 2013, 11:36:40 AM
The 15 x 7 chrome Magnums (Ford wheels) fill out the wheel openings better.      Some will say that the original 14 x 6 wheels on a Daytona look somewhat anemic. 
plus the shiney chrome makes them pop better then the brushed look on the trim rings .   :Twocents:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

johnnyseville

Kinda thought so, really like them on Troy's car.  In a delimma right now, have barebones dog dishes with the 14 " redlines, but want to improve the looks, since they cost about the same have to decide whether I want correct ones or the nicer ones. Have the same dogdishes on my Hemi, but 15" redlines.  Was thinking of picking up 2 sets to maybe get a better deal,  but they both use the same type, roadwheel and trim rings.  This is a tough one.  :shruggy:
too many to list!

hemi68charger

It is probably nothing more than personal preference. For me, my Daytona came with the 14" Road Wheels ( spoked with trim ring ). All fine and dandy, but I prefer better cruising characteristics and my preference is the 15" wheel. Since there wasn't a 15" Road Wheel offered for the B-bodies, most are drawn to the Magnum 500's in the 15" version. They look great with the chrome, give an OEM look ( if that's what you're looking for ) and they are usually new. You could go the 14" o4 15" steelie route or wheel cover. Of course, any of those hemi-versions came with the 15" steelies regardless, either with hub caps or wheel covers.....
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

hemi68charger

Quote from: johnnyseville on January 14, 2013, 11:48:12 AM
Kinda thought so, really like them on Troy's car.  In a delimma right now, have barebones dog dishes with the 14 " redlines, but want to improve the looks, since they cost about the same have to decide whether I want correct ones or the nicer ones. Have the same dogdishes on my Hemi, but 15" redlines.  Was thinking of picking up 2 sets to maybe get a better deal,  but they both use the same type, roadwheel and trim rings.  This is a tough one.  :shruggy:

Get some 15" Steelies ( 15x8's ) and get some redline radials, ( 255/60R/15's ) and cap them off with your doggies........... That'll be a nice look and stance....
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

Dave Kanofsky

The 15 x 7 chrome Magnums (Ford wheels) fill out the wheel openings better.      Some will say that the original 14 x 6 wheels on a Daytona look somewhat anemic. 

That's exactly why I have them on mine.  Mine should be 14x6 with trim rings.
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

WINGIN IT

Quote from: Dave Kanofsky on January 14, 2013, 01:00:49 PM
The 15 x 7 chrome Magnums (Ford wheels) fill out the wheel openings better.      Some will say that the original 14 x 6 wheels on a Daytona look somewhat anemic. 

That's exactly why I have them on mine.  Mine should be 14x6 with trim rings.

Yeah, as much as I like the Road Wheels , car needs something bigger. Probably going to go with what Troy said, 255 X 60 X 15s  chrome magnum 500s with redlines ( since redlines came on the car originally).

Mytur Binsdirti

My Daytona originally came equipped with red wheels (with dog dish hupcabs) & redline tires and on a R4 red car, that's just waaaay too much red, so I opted for the chrome magnum wheels with white letter tires.

odcics2

ALL B bodies look better with wheel wells stuffed with rubber!
Check out these 15 x 9.5" 'steelies'!! 
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

johnnyseville

I agree, Charger wheel wells have a large amount of space, that is why before I restored my Hemi I used to run N50x15 Micky Thompsons on Centerlines with G60X15 on the front, those looked great, but alas now they sit stored away since it was restored.  Sometimes correct is not the best looking, unfortunately.
too many to list!

Shelby67air

good info to know, restoring a 69 charger 500, dog dish hub caps shouldbe alum or stainless? are they being reproduced? whats the quility?

thanks

hemi68charger

Quote from: Shelby67air on January 14, 2013, 06:12:45 PM
good info to know, restoring a 69 charger 500, dog dish hub caps shouldbe alum or stainless? are they being reproduced? whats the quility?

thanks

500's look tuff with doggies and steelies.. Here's my former 500 with 15x7 steelies and 255/60R/15's..

I believe you can get the reproductions at BEA

http://www.beaparts.com/list_items.aspx?body=B&cat=E&subcat=18

Not sure which they are...... You can sometimes find good ones out in Mopar-cyber world.......
Troy

Mytur Binsdirti

By chance, was that 500 a fairly low mileage car with a 4-speed car and tan interior?

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on January 14, 2013, 07:42:25 PM
By chance, was that 500 a fairly low mileage car with a 4-speed car and tan interior?

Not sure about low mileage, but mine had about 70,000 when I traded it for the Daytona.. It was a console 4-speed car with saddle tan interior. It is T7 bronze. There's a T5 Copper version with a white 500 stripe people get confused with mine. That one has and and always had, steelies like I did until I got the magnum 500's for it.....

Troy

johnnyseville

The magnums really do make a difference over the dogs on this one.  Beautiful color too, you should have kept it (but still bought the Daytona).
too many to list!

5hunert

I've always felt the steelies and doggies say "Its November 1969, I just picked up my new Charger from the dealer and am on the way to the tire store to get some Keystones and L60-15s."

Shelby67air

Mines red black interior auto, needs a lot of love but I'm committed to getting it done within 2-3 years

70moparman

Quote from: 5hunert on January 14, 2013, 11:41:59 PM
I've always felt the steelies and doggies say "Its November 1969, I just picked up my new Charger from the dealer and am on the way to the tire store to get some Keystones and L60-15s."

My thoughts exactly!   :cheers:  Or Im on my way to SEMA  :yesnod:

I did like them on the Copper C500 however  :Twocents:

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: hemi68charger on January 14, 2013, 08:59:36 PM

Not sure about low mileage, but mine had about 70,000 when I traded it for the Daytona.. It was a console 4-speed car with saddle tan interior. It is T7 bronze. There's a T5 Copper version with a white 500 stripe people get confused with mine. That one has and and always had, steelies like I did until I got the magnum 500's for it.....

Nope, not the same car; the car I remember was a Hemi car. Nice enlarged picture! BTW, your buddy Pete C. was over my house last evening to buy my Whirly-jig.

moparstuart

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on January 15, 2013, 06:45:48 AM
Quote from: hemi68charger on January 14, 2013, 08:59:36 PM

Nope, not the same car; the car I remember was a Hemi car. Nice enlarged picture! BTW, your buddy Pete C. was over my house last evening to buy my Whirly-jig.
is that convertible charger pete
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: moparstuart on January 15, 2013, 07:15:49 AM
is that convertible charger pete

He looked more like Big-Afro Pete yesterday, but there's a possiblity that he could be the same person.  ;)

hemi68charger

Quote from: johnnyseville on January 14, 2013, 09:34:20 PM
The magnums really do make a difference over the dogs on this one.  Beautiful color too, you should have kept it (but still bought the Daytona).

I wish !!!!  Unfortunately, I don't have deep pockets... my 1st 500, combined with my then '68 Hemi Charger R/T project, were used to trade striaght up for the Daytona... Sometimes you gotta give up more to gain what one REALLY wants...

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on January 15, 2013, 06:45:48 AM

Pete's a great guy, I guess you know then the white '70 v-code Charger R/T used to be mine. I got his Y2 69 Charger 500 in trade. Who knows, maybe I'll paint my current one T7 Bronze, it is a great color.
Troy

Mytur Binsdirti

If you were to play a Mopar version of "6Six degrees of seperation", we all know each other & each other's cars.  :lol: