News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'69 Hurst Shifter Rebuild Kit?

Started by 69Charger500, January 09, 2006, 01:26:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69Charger500

Is there a kit available to rebuild the stock Hurst 4-Speed Shifter?  Last summer, my 500's shifter was getting a little sloppy, and the gates weren't very distinct anymore...

Thanks!

Mike

70sixpkrt

Talk to Jamie at Passon perf. He rebuilt my shifter about 3 months ago. Excellent job.

440-6pk, 4-speed, Dana 60 with 3:54  
13.01 @107.93 (street tires spinning all the way down)

Chryco Psycho

often just taking them apart & cleaning & regreasing them makes a huge difference

69Charger500

I guess mine doesn't feel so much as sloppy, as it seems to have "dead end" gates right next to the correct gates?  Anybody else ever have this problem???

It seems like there is something more going on than cleaning would fix, or is this a typical problem??

Thanks again,

Mike

mridolfo

You can send it to Hurst and they will rebuild it for $90. Down at the bottom of the page.

Down at the bottom of the page.

http://www.hurst-shifters.com/FAQs.aspx?brandId=2

Chryco Psycho

often adjusting the rods slightly will clean up the gate problem
considering a couple of hours to drop the shifter out & clean & reassemble it is basically free I would try that first , it may need 1 or 2 new parts to work like new though 

69Charger500

Thanks for the info.  Now that I think about it, the trans does pop out of 2nd gear occasionally if I let it wind down under torque (also a rod adjustment issue, I believe).  I guess a good cleaning and rod adjustment is where i will start.

It does agree with my philosophy that 99% of any problems are usually resolved by the simplest, least expensive manner available...

tecmopar

Most of the time the slop in these shifters is caused by a very simple part. Its the pivot bolt that goes through the main stem. I've seen these worn almost half way through. If your not sure of what I mean, look at the shifter just below where the handle goes in and you will it. It has a 7/16 nylock nut facing the front. Hurst will not sell you one and they are not available anywhere else as far as I know. If you do need one, let me know as I still have some left, good luck.

Ghoste

Any pics and dimensions on a new one?  Seems to me like one of those things somebody with access to a machine shop could get made.

tecmopar

I looked into that when Hurst announced that it was no longer going to sell parts to anyone and because its a carrage bolt with a long shoulder it was to expensive so thats why I grabbed a bunch of them along with the stainless dust covers for the bottom. Over the years, even though I don't need them, I have checked with just about every Bolt and Hardware manufacturer, and because its a goofy size, I haven't been able to find them.

Ghoste

Well, it's unlikely that Hurst makes them so somebody somewhere must be supplying them.  Maybe not, but it seems like one of those things that would turn up in some little backwater shop.

tecmopar

Well, you could be right but as I said, over many, many years of looking I've never found them. I have found a few that were close but there was always something that wasn't right and wouldn't work correctly.

Ghoste

Well, that just bugs the hell out of me.  I have an old Hurst sitting here I'm going to take apart and look at this special bolt made of unobtainium.  I know a guy who works at a fastener shop in Ohio and I want to ask him how hard they are to make.

tecmopar

If you need it I can sell you one, as I said, I have a few still here.

Ghoste

If you mean me, I'm good.  I just feel kind of miffed about it being unavailable.  It seems like a simple thing to make so I want to investigate it.  More of a prove a point thing for me.