News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 problems

Started by 73chargercali, January 16, 2006, 11:44:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73chargercali

i did a swap from 318 to 440 on my 73 charger and have ran into a problem, the car trys to start even fires a few cylinders but won't run. i poured some gas down the carb and it ran for about 25 seconds then i shut it off (no exhaustjavascript:void(0);
devil) i tryed it again and no luck at all just a couple of puffs and no start. i have a 66 distributor with points and the rest of the ignition is stock 73 charger components, minus the msd blaster 2 coil.

does anyone have any advice on how to overcome this dilema?

RD

have you checked to see if your fuel pump is actually getting the fuel to the carburetor? next, check to see if you have a good spark on #1 piston.  sounds like a fuel problem to me from what you said.

to check if you are getting fuel, remove fuel line to carb, disconnect coil wire to distributor, crank motor over with fuel line directed towards a container.  If fuel comes out then you have either a timing issue, bad spark, or well, it could be a shietload of things.  OR you could just hit the throttle on your carb and look into the primaries to see if fuel is being pumped into your intake (jeez...me and my brain sometimes)
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

73chargercali

yeh its weird i can pump the throttle all i want and no gas gets squirted into the carb yet i have a glass fuel filter that i can see bubbling and filling with fuel. i have a very minor leak between the pump and the carb but not major enough to stop any flow.( more air than fluid, takes and drains back real slow) the spark is decent not strong but it seems to be there when i use a plug and check but i can't get a reading with a timing light???

Chryco Psycho

sounds like th ecarb is old & needs to be rebuilt , , if there is fuel in the carb it should squirt when the throttle is opened