News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

daytona and superbird headlight doors are different?? really???

Started by DoubleDlover, October 13, 2011, 04:00:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoubleDlover

So for the last 20 years i have been thinking that these doors are the same. I was just informed there are different!!!! width and length.. really?? Have i been a moron all these years and been wrong??? what the heck is wrong with me....

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

maxwellwedge

Quote from: DoubleDlover on October 13, 2011, 04:00:23 PM
So for the last 20 years i have been thinking that these doors are the same. I was just informed there are different!!!! width and length.. really?? Have i been a moron all these years and been wrong??? what the heck is wrong with me....

The person you got the info from is the moron!  :lol:

DAY CLONA

Quote from: maxwellwedge on October 13, 2011, 05:03:27 PM

The person you got the info from is the moron!  :lol:

While the outer doors are basically the "same", dimension wise, and will interchange, there are slight differences between Superbird and Daytona(outer fiberglass) headlight doors, whether it's a vendor thing?, or production date thing?, I don't know.....I was fortunate to look at the collection of NOS headlite doors that the late Ron Adair had in his vast collection of NOS parts years back, and he had pointed out the small differences between Tona and Bird......something I never noticed either, and I reproduce headlite doors :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

pettybird

A383Wing

I heard and thought that the horizontal portion of the wing was the same also between the 2 cars....yes? No?

maxwellwedge

Quote from: DAY CLONA on October 13, 2011, 07:24:35 PM
Quote from: maxwellwedge on October 13, 2011, 05:03:27 PM

The person you got the info from is the moron!  :lol:

While the outer doors are basically the "same", dimension wise, and will interchange, there are slight differences between Superbird and Daytona(outer fiberglass) headlight doors, whether it's a vendor thing?, or production date thing?, I don't know.....I was fortunate to look at the collection of NOS headlite doors that the late Ron Adair had in his vast collection of NOS parts years back, and he had pointed out the small differences between Tona and Bird......something I never noticed either, and I reproduce headlite doors :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

Nos and Originals probably had slight running changes and/or bandaid-ed up tooling.

pettybird

Quote from: A383Wing on October 13, 2011, 09:01:26 PM
I heard and thought that the horizontal portion of the wing was the same also between the 2 cars....yes? No?

the daytona wing is significantly wider.  the 'bird wings taper in while the daytonas are a lot more upright.

FJ5WING

Quote from: pettybird on October 14, 2011, 09:31:09 AM
Quote from: A383Wing on October 13, 2011, 09:01:26 PM

the daytona wing is significantly wider.  the 'bird wings taper in while the daytonas are a lot more upright.

please define "wider"...front to back? left to right? are you talking about the pedestals or the blade?  :shruggy:
wingless now, but still around.

moparstuart

the blade is wider left to right , other wise they are the same  
   pedistals or sides are totally differerent

pettybird

from the front or back,

bird wing like this:  /---\

daytona wing like this:  I----I

62 Max

pettybird

all right smarty pants YOU explain it in ASCII   :lol:

put one of each car tail-to-tail and it becomes obvious.  if you're used to looking at 'birds the daytona almost looks like the wing uprights are doing this \---/

A383Wing

I know the pedestals are different, I was referring to the center blade...I was under the impression that that piece was the same for both cars...

or not?

DAY CLONA

Quote from: A383Wing on October 14, 2011, 07:38:59 PM
I know the pedestals are different, I was referring to the center blade...I was under the impression that that piece was the same for both cars...

or not?

The Superbird's center section is approx 55 1/2", while the Tona is 57 1/2"........

mike

xs29j8Bullitt

Quote from: DAY CLONA on October 14, 2011, 11:26:23 PM
Quote from: A383Wing on October 14, 2011, 07:38:59 PM

or not?

The Superbird's center section is approx 55 1/2", while the Tona is 57 1/2"........

mike

Here is pair of pictures (actually the backgrounds of the pics) taken a few minutes apart.  The pics show the horizontal airfoil stabilizer (blade) from my Daytona laying on my Superbird's wing.  One end is lined up with end of the 'Bird's horizontal stabilizer, while the other end clearly overhangs the other side of the wing...  Not the best pics, but the length difference is shown,,,
After 8 years of downsizing, whats left...
1968 Charger R/T, Automatic, 426 Hemi
1968 Polara 4Dr Sdn, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1968 Polara 4Dr HT, Automatic, 383
1969 Charger 500, 4 Speed, 440 Magnum
1969 Daytona, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1969 Road Runner, 4 Speed, 426 Hemi
1970 `Cuda, Automatic, 440-6BBL
1970 Challenger T/A, Automatic, 340 6 Pack
2004 Ram, Automatic, 5.7L Hemi
2009 Challenger SRT8, Automatic, 6.1L Hemi
<This Space Reserved for a 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 8Sp Automatic,

A383Wing

OK...thanks....I guess my source of info a while back was wrong.....

Bryan

moparstuart

Quote from: A383Wing on October 15, 2011, 02:44:00 PM
OK...thanks....I guess my source of info a while back was wrong.....

Bryan

other than length they are the same