News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

decode build sheet for tach - clock - nothing

Started by FJ5WING, October 07, 2011, 09:39:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FJ5WING

Would someone be able to help me determine what way my car was equipted? When I picked it up it had an old Balkamp tacometer in the dash which kinda looked pretty cool. I want to be able to return the dash to factory specs and have all three items readily handy. I have the build sheet and tried to decode it through the 70 Charger decoder but it didnt help me out completely.

Thanks Guys!!!!! :icon_smile_cool:
wingless now, but still around.

hemigeno

The broadcast sheet will be coded for "N85" if it originally came with a tach.

In 1969, that would be denoted on Line 9, towards the righthand side with a "5" typewritten under "Gov Tach 8-"  I don't have any 1970 B-sheets in front of me, but I think they're similar.

:cheers:

FJ5WING

Thanks HemiGeno!

I ended up finding it on the Charger decoder for 70 Chargers. It was listed on line 10 for 70 cars.

My car didnt have the tach or the clock :icon_smile_blackeye:..Now I have to decide fi I want to use the NOS tach or the quartz converted clock or the old Balkamp piece then theres always just the bullet plate. :scratchchin:
wingless now, but still around.

hemi68charger

Quote from: FJ5WING on October 07, 2011, 10:12:57 AM
Thanks HemiGeno!

I ended up finding it on the Charger decoder for 70 Chargers. It was listed on line 10 for 70 cars.

My car didnt have the tach or the clock :icon_smile_blackeye:..Now I have to decide fi I want to use the NOS tach or the quartz converted clock or the old Balkamp piece then theres always just the bullet plate. :scratchchin:

Ahhh, just put the tach in... It looks cooler.  :icon_smile_big:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

pettybird

Quote from: hemi68charger on October 07, 2011, 12:41:21 PM
Quote from: FJ5WING on October 07, 2011, 10:12:57 AM
Thanks HemiGeno!

Ahhh, just put the tach in... It looks cooler.  :icon_smile_big:

and everyone's under the impression it came there anyway.

hemi68charger

You have a hole in your firewall above the bulkhead connector or is there still a dimple? (mopar forensics) If not, then the car didn't come with one....... But shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, most car show participants would even have a clue...  :icon_smile_big:
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

WINGIN IT

What does a dimple have to do with a tach? Splain!  :shruggy:

nascarxx29

The dimple is the inset punch on the firewall for the Tach gromet location.Gives you a tell if the tach is factory
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

b5blue

I read someplace the 70 factory stock tach will not play well with an ECU type pointless ignition system.  :scratchchin: (Look into that if not using a points dist. system)

A383Wing

all of my cars that have tachs have no problems with Mopar Electronic ignition....when I went to MSD in the Daytona, then it would not work..had to buy a tach adapter

but both my OE 66 tachs in the dash still work fine with ECU

WINGIN IT

Quote from: nascarxx29 on October 07, 2011, 05:59:42 PM
The dimple is the inset punch on the firewall for the Tach gromet location.Gives you a tell if the tach is factory

Thanks good to know, so if you installed a tach afterwards and put the factory grommet in , you couldn't tell unless you had the buildsheet.

hemi68charger

Quote from: WINGIN IT on October 08, 2011, 08:04:17 AM
Quote from: nascarxx29 on October 07, 2011, 05:59:42 PM

Thanks good to know, so if you installed a tach afterwards and put the factory grommet in , you couldn't tell unless you had the buildsheet.

Structurally yes. But if the fender tag is on the car, the fender tag will reflect the body modification (N85) creating the hole for the tach lead grommet. Or, in the case of one installed after-the-fact, there will be no N85........
Troy

pettybird

ALSO, the hole is punched rather than drilled, so it's really clean if you feel it with your finger.  you won't get that kind of precision with a drill.

N85 doesn't appear on all tags, either--lynch rd didn't use it. 

hemi68charger

Quote from: pettybird on October 08, 2011, 09:25:32 AM
ALSO, the hole is punched rather than drilled, so it's really clean if you feel it with your finger.  you won't get that kind of precision with a drill.

N85 doesn't appear on all tags, either--lynch rd didn't use it. 

Good point.............   :2thumbs:
Troy