News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone replace their green turn signal lenses in dash-what did you use???

Started by Mfr426, January 17, 2006, 08:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mfr426

I was working on my instrument cluster in my 69 Charger and noticed that the green lens for the turn signals were so brittle that they had cracks all across them. I'd like to replace them so that I dont have to look at the cracks in my nicely restored dash. Anyone find any kind of green plastic that would work to replace them? Or, does anyone make a replacement for the lenses? Thanks for any help.

Mike R in Reading PA

myk

"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

8WHEELER

I have looked around and can't find anybody that sells the green lenses. I have a couple spare dashes
so I used the best ones out of the 6 I had, They are kind of unique, and I think hard to find something
just the same color. I would give some dash resto places a call, I have bought things like NOS speedo
tumblers at the Clock Doc in TN, impossible for me to find them anywhere else 6yrs ago, I think somebody
re-dose them now.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Mfr426

Thanks Guys! Here is what I am planning on doing: I'm going to go to Michaels or AC MOORE and try to find something plastic in this shade that would work. These craft stores have some very unique items that seem to work well for resto uses. I've found many things there that I've used in the past.

TO get the hole perfect I am going to find a pipe (in my spare parts bin in the basement) and using a pipe cutter I'll cut the end off. It's usually quite sharp at that point and I'll use that to "punch" the correct size lense out. I have a hole punch set (this is a fantastic kit to have) but it does not go up large enough. This lens looks to be about 1" across.

I'll let you know if that works.

Thanks!

Mike R

8WHEELER

Yeah, Micheals has some cool stuff as well as BenFranklins, I feel a little strange in those places 50 women To 1 man
but I have made some neat stuff out of some of there products.

Good Luck

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Mfr426

NZ68RT

I bought a set from Performance Car Graphics for $9, not listed on the website I just happened to ask if they could do them when I was ordering some other parts. Saves a lot of work and they are good pieces.
- 1968 Dodge Charger 440 R/T
- 1972 VH Valiant Charger ( Australian ) 360 4 speed
- 1967 Plymouth Barracuda Hardtop 273 auto

hotrod98

While you're at Michaels, pick up a couple of those paint pens in the art department. They're labeled Silver metallic if I remember correctly and they're perfect for replacing the silver around gauges and clusters. Looks like factory. There are a couple of different widths. The trick is to start at one point and move continuously around the part. If you screw up, just wait for it to dry and do it again. Looks great. Looks almost like chrome. I did the cluster and the ac controls in my cuda.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

472 R/T SE

I'm contemplating putting a small pencil size shift light I have on the backside to shine thru the high beam hole.  The light's supposed to be pretty bright.  I can't use the dimmer switch anyhow.  :icon_smile_big:

Mfr426

I wish I had read that comment about Performance Car...I ended up going to Michaels and getting a transparency and some green paper and making a set. The color is dead on but it took some time for sure to make...

Thanks all.

Mike R in Reading PA