News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1966 Lighting problems

Started by Demonhead, October 23, 2011, 09:59:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Demonhead

I know the dash lights are rigged in series so it one is bad, none of them work. I have an original automatic car that was changed to 4-speed sometime in the past. The automatic floor shift lights are not hooked up. Will this keep all of the electroluminescent lights from working? If so, how do I address this issue? Thanks for the help!

Topher

No it won't. Have you checked to make sure there's voltage going to the power pak? You may need to twist the knob to find the sweet spot(if this is the case get a new light switch) If you have 12+v there with the light switch on, see what the output is on the White wire. Should be 230++vAC coming out of it. If you do have 230++vAC coming out of the power pak, then you have either a face or needle shorting to ground. I've seen alot of needles gone bad. You do know you can't be an official 1st Gen Charger owner without dancing with the White Wire!
Topher

67 Charger 383-4spd "the Dawg"

www.headlightmotorman.com

A383Wing

number of items can cause no dash lights:

bad headlight switch, bad fuse, bad power pack, shorted needle in dash or AM radio, a service manual would be your friend here

Bryan

Demonhead

Thanks guys. I have a new power pack installed. I am in the process of making sure I have voltage to the powerpack and out of the powerpack. I have been following shop manual to make sure wires are where they are supposed to be. Right now I have the turn signals working, the high beam light working (I know they are not connected to dash lights) and am working on the dash lights. I also am not sure the cluster is good but I do have another one. Will check powerpack first, then go from there. More to come. Thanks again!

I probably will have some headlight questions soon as well.

I want to confirm that the broken circuit with the transmission light indicator will not effect the dash lights??

A383Wing

dash lights are a special circuit....trans light circuit will not affect it