News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

future second generation charger restoration

Started by jason41987, October 23, 2011, 07:39:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jason41987

well ive decided to go with the 5.7 liter hemi... plan on using it as a test bed to some extent for alternative fuels and technologies when ive reached a point where i will be doing this with a car.. until then i do most my experimentation on 4 cycle lawnmower engines, or motorcycle engines... one thing i intend to start dipping into for my own experimentation at first is converting an engine (first a motorcycle engine) to camless operation using solenoids built into the valves to fire them electronically based on the position of the crankshaft determined by the crank position sensor and tunable with a proper ECU... benefits of this is greater fuel efficiency and greater power, and when finished should make a conversion to an alternative fuel source that much more efficient... but first i have to try this out on smaller scale before i do it to my car... so its a ways off

elacruze

Quote from: jason41987 on October 29, 2011, 11:48:43 AM
well ive decided to go with the 5.7 liter hemi... plan on using it as a test bed to some extent for alternative fuels and technologies when ive reached a point where i will be doing this with a car.. until then i do most my experimentation on 4 cycle lawnmower engines, or motorcycle engines... one thing i intend to start dipping into for my own experimentation at first is converting an engine (first a motorcycle engine) to camless operation using solenoids built into the valves to fire them electronically based on the position of the crankshaft determined by the crank position sensor and tunable with a proper ECU... benefits of this is greater fuel efficiency and greater power, and when finished should make a conversion to an alternative fuel source that much more efficient... but first i have to try this out on smaller scale before i do it to my car... so its a ways off

This is not a new idea, and it is not do-able. Sorry.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

jason41987

elacruze

Quote from: jason41987 on October 29, 2011, 04:07:17 PM
thats funny... rather naive, but funny

It's been tried, and it's been made to work in laboratory conditions but not in anything like a usable street engine with any appreciable power.

Unless you can point me to some weird science I haven't heard about I'd say I'm not the naive one.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

jason41987

there are no usable street engines that use the technology.. thats a fact.. but thats why its called experimentation.. in tests and prototypes it works, and there are issues with it that need to be ironed out.. but thats what the experimentation and testing is all about... and i find problems of mechanical engineering to be fun and interesting to solve, much like some people enjoy a crossword puzzle.. and i do have a background in mechanical engineering so that surely helps

the best way to control the actuators would probably be using an algorithm that uses the location of the crank positioning sensor to determine when and how long to fire each solenoid, pretty close to how distributorless ignitions work.. thats the easy part, making them reliable enough and with some sort of a fail safe... should one actuator fail youd want it to fail in a way that youre not going to smack a piston into a valve or damage the engine which would have a similar effect to breaking a timing belt/chain.. so you really need to find a way for them to fail safely

Mike DC

Well, I was only ever trying to convince you that your mileage goals wouldn't be a cost-effective way to cheapen the project in the long run.   But if your mileage goals are part of the point of the project and not just a means to cheapen the whole thing, then I won't try to talk you out of it any further. 

Best of luck on the efficiency pursuits.   There isn't much that hasn't been tried before but it can be fun to play around with the concepts.