News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hedman Shorty Headers?

Started by bobs66440, November 05, 2011, 07:53:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobs66440

I am rebuilding my 440 and am looking to make 475-500hp / 500+lbft tq. I have a set of HP manifolds and have read all the debates about headers vs. manifolds and agree that headers can be a way to make cheap hp (I like cheap). It seems that the Hedman Shortys (1-3/4" tubes) would be a good compromise. Has anyone had any experience with these? I also noticed that they have 1/4" flanges as opposed to the TTI 3/8" ones. Will they be leakers? I am looking for the most trouble-free setup but still want the numbers (I know, I want it all).

Also, I'm looking at the Summit or Proform mini starters. Any experience? Opinions?

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Year/...mp;Ns=Price|Asc

Thanks guys!   :2thumbs:

mhinders

Bob, while I was searching for EFI stuff I stumbled upon a site with very nice stepped headers for Mopar bigblocks. I think correctly stepped headers is very interesting if purchasing new headers, and looking for numbers... I will try to look for it again...
Martin
Martin
Dodge Charger 1967, 512 cui, E85, MegaSquirt MS3X sequential ignition and injection

BSB67

It is a personal choice.  If you want exhaust manifolds, you are building a new motor, and you want 500 hp, that is easy enough.  If you are indifferent to exhaust manifolds, and you want maximum power, get the headers.  I have not used the shorties, I would presume that they are somewhere in the middle.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

bobs66440

Yes, Mopar Muscle did a test with long tube, shortys and HP Manifolds on a 440. For that particular motor, there was a significant difference between the shortys and long tubes...but a HUGE difference between the manifolds and long tubes. The shortys were in the middle but much closer to the long tubes.

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/mopp_0106_manifolds_vs_headers/viewall.html

BSB67

Quote from: bobs66440 on November 06, 2011, 07:11:12 AM
Yes, Mopar Muscle did a test with long tube, shortys and HP Manifolds on a 440. For that particular motor, there was a significant difference between the shortys and long tubes...but a HUGE difference between the manifolds and long tubes. The shortys were in the middle but much closer to the long tubes.

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/mopp_0106_manifolds_vs_headers/viewall.html

A lot of missing details in that article, and I would not extrapolate or draw too many conclusions from that.   Details of the build, and how it was set up on the dyno are needed.  This is why I believe this: As an example, my nearly stock (ported 915 heads with stock valve sizes)  440 charger (4250 lbs at the time) with a 222 @ .050" lift, .455" lift cam would run 12.90s at 109 mph.  That comes out to about 450 engine dyno hp.  Using the results from Dulcich's article would suggest by simply adding headers to my car, it would go 12.2 at, get this, 116 mph. And to put into further perspective, it means that with slicks, gear, and converter, that 4250lb car with a stock ish 440, could run 11.40s.  This is simply preposterous.

That said, manifolds can kill a bunch of hp, specifically in big overlap cam applications. 

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

chargerbr549

I am running these headman shortys on my 74 Dodge half ton 2wd pickup with a factory stock 440, as far as my experience with these they fit very well and they made a definate improvement over the very restrictive factory pickup manifolds. As far as leakers for the most part they seal up well but one header over time will start leaking but im going to try a copper or an aluminum gasket next time I replace the gaskets.

Kevin

Lunger

If your looking to save more money get the mini starter from mancici racing 126.00 , had one in my 440 for the last 10 years. As far as headers you get what you pay for , the hedmans will be fine , but if i ever buy again it will be the tti's
BULL OF THE WOODS