News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Barret jackson white super bird auction on tv today

Started by petercharger, January 18, 2014, 04:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69_500

If you do a search for board member hctub you will find pictures of the car from when he owned it.

Kowal

Quote from: 69_500 on January 19, 2014, 04:41:45 PM
How many more times can that Hemi 500 come up for sale with the same false statements. It does not only have 1,295 miles. That's how many miles since it was first restored in the 80's. Car had many thousand more miles on it at that point.

So silly me.   I kept thinking about this comment and did some research.   This '500 sold at BJ in Arizona in 2008 for 181.5, West Palm in 2010 for 148.5 and then again in Arizona this past weekend for the remarkable 181.5.

The first two times they bragged about the miles, this time the comment was missing (though I didn't think to stick my head in to check the odometer).

I suppose those that have been on this site for years already knew this.    Since in '08 and '10 I was completely obsessed with Lift Off Hood cars, I totally missed it.
'69 Hemi Charger 500, '70 U Code Challenger R/T
(These two and a bunch others at www.dkowal426.com)

"P. J. O'Rourke:  The old car ran perfectly, right up until it didn't."

arrow

Kowal

Ghoste

I've noticed the trend with a lot of sellers, and more especially dealers, and too many of the auctions where they discount the mileage prior to the restoration.  Sort of like saying the panels and paint are new so therefore the miles are too.
The auction houses keep saying, well thats what the odometer indicates and that is what the seller claims, who are we to prove whether its 1000 or 101000. 
Sad really sad in my opinion.

Kowal

Quote from: Ghoste on January 22, 2014, 09:05:41 AM
I've noticed the trend with a lot of sellers, and more especially dealers, and too many of the auctions where they discount the mileage prior to the restoration.  Sort of like saying the panels and paint are new so therefore the miles are too.
The auction houses keep saying, well thats what the odometer indicates and that is what the seller claims, who are we to prove whether its 1000 or 101000. 
Sad really sad in my opinion.

My friend and I were looking at a Buick that he had interest in at BJ.   We asked about the mileage and the owner/restorer immediately said "oh, I turned that back to zero"!   It does seem to be new trend, ridiculous.    We know its an old car and it was driven before!

70Sbird

I'm guilty of this "rollback" as well...... :icon_smile_big:
When I sent my speedometer and gauges off to be overhauled, I had them reface the odometer wheels and set the odometer to "0"
Of course the odometer had 99,704 on it when I sent it in and now my car has 105,000 miles on it +/-
:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

Scott Faulkner

Ghoste

How would you call it if you were telling people interested in buying it?  (and obviously yours was nearly zero again anyway so...?)

70Sbird

Quote from: Ghoste on January 22, 2014, 11:08:43 AM
How would you call it if you were telling people interested in buying it?  (and obviously yours was nearly zero again anyway so...?)

The car has 105K +/- If I'm asked...I was just trying to be a smart-ase.
If I was not within a margin of error (296 miles) of being at 100K miles (zero on the odometer) I would have put it back at the displayed miles.

I believe that a cars "actual" mileage is part of that cars history and documentation. I'm not a fan of resetting to zero just because the car has beed "restored". Where does that begin or end? What if I just restored the engine, or the instrument cluster, the interior, or the ashtray, or replaced the battery? at what point is it justified?
I dont thing it is ever "OK"

Scott Faulkner

Kowal

Quote from: arrow on January 21, 2014, 09:37:26 PM

Was the black hemi 500 from Montana at BJ  ???

Wasn't at B-J, but was at Russo-Steele.   Their website said it sold for 220K.    Big money!

ACUDANUT

Quote from: FJ5WING on January 18, 2014, 04:39:54 PM
Im looking at how awful the body work is and that what I see from TV!

When was that one restored? the belly was body color and the nose to fender seals are in backwards and my wife even noticed the deck lid didn't line up not to mention how much she laughed at the nose to fender alignment.

500 for a bench seat white car?????? :shruggy:

Any pic's of what you are talking about.  I did not notice it. ?

Aero426

Car definitely had some things to straighten out.   Nose gasket stuck out like a sore thumb.   Wing decals mounted were too high.