News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

2 Superbirds from the woods in South Carolina

Started by gymratt30, October 30, 2011, 09:45:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RamZCharger

Really looking forward to the next installment  :2thumbs:.  Thanks for sharing.

oldcarnut

Quote from: Musicman on November 01, 2011, 01:20:08 PM
Amazing stuff... what a nice story! Can't wait to hear more...

... and here I though my friend and I were the lucky ones finding a one-off A12 Super Bee down there in SC  :scratchchin:
Speaking of which, hows the car doing with the guy he made a trade with for it?  I think the Corvette is still there in the yard. 

Mike, how's Harry doing?  I haven't talked to him in quite a few years since I misplaced his number.  I remember the first time I saw the wing over the bushes too about 1992-93 while I was driving back and forth for a couple years.  Drove my Superbee up there a few times to chit chat with him about them and some other things.  Everytime I stopped by with the wife he used give me a bunch of them pears off the trees in the back to cook.  Was always a nice guy to me.  Glad to hear the Red one is finally done.

billssuperbird

jonw29

Quote from: Musicman on November 01, 2011, 01:20:08 PM
Amazing stuff... what a nice story! Can't wait to hear more...

... and here I though my friend and I were the lucky ones finding a one-off A12 Super Bee down there in SC  :scratchchin:
Us SC people are pretty good people.

RallyeMike

I nominate this one for "Feel Good Thread of The Year".

Good luck with your father/son projects!
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

kw mopar

Best thread yet. Great to see the guy have a soft side and let the cars go. Love the pics and story. keep them coming. How many finds like this can possibly be out there still? Congrats. Rob.

gymratt30

few random shots before tree removal
"2 superbirds sittin side by side"

gymratt30

gymratt30

gymratt30

trees are "carefully removed.....making a path...

miller time

im in love :o
when their done the old mans going to be one jealous son of a mother, so what all is usable out of the one with the motor? i know you said you got it running, but is the trans, radiator, wiring, brakes some or all usable? and did yall decide whose is whose?
:2thumbs: good luck and god bless

Musicman

Again, great story... all I can say is Thankfully he allowed someone to remove them (His Children) before thay had died from a case of complete and utter neglect.

hemi68charger

Quote from: miller time on November 01, 2011, 10:25:11 PM
when their done the old mans going to be one jealous son of a mother...

Or he's going to be one grateful mother (figuratively speaking of course).... Sometimes it's better to let your "children" go in order for them to grow and flourish..
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Davtona

Quote from: hemi68charger on November 02, 2011, 05:36:05 AM
Quote from: miller time on November 01, 2011, 10:25:11 PM
when their done the old mans going to be one jealous son of a mother...

Or he's going to be one grateful mother (figuratively speaking of course).... Sometimes it's better to let your "children" go in order for them to grow and flourish..

I agree with Troy. I think it will be more like that. Proud parent.

gymratt30

I can assure you guys, he(the guy i bought them from) is a "proud parent",  we talk weekly/monthly, (ACTUALLY HAD lunch with him yesterday) .... he has been "in " on the red bird's progress over its 4.7 year term.... he's made a few trips with me during the resto, and our time spent with him, my son and myself had been all good. he has never had sellers remorse, and is tickled to see the cars staying local. he's mentiond many times, that he would have let them "rot" because he knew he would never have the money to fix them "right."
again , I dont want to get to far ahead of my self and story, but as I stated the red car is now done, and he was happy a as a kid in a candy store to  drive his 4 SPEED, HEMI BIRD off the trailer and into its new home.
THOSE PICS WILL COME LATER....
gotta try to keep this thead in some type of order

C_stripes

Great story. I'm glad to see you and your son working on two awesome cars. Also good to see some young kids in the hobby. Good luck with the build on the white car.
I'm smarter than I act, But I don't act smarter than I am.

The70RT

<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

hemi68charger

Quote from: gymratt30 on November 02, 2011, 09:04:40 AM
...again , I dont want to get to far ahead of my self and story, but as I stated the red car is now done, and he was happy a as a kid in a candy store to  drive his 4 SPEED, HEMI BIRD off the trailer and into its new home.
THOSE PICS WILL COME LATER....
gotta try to keep this thead in some type of order

As they say up North,,, "Yew betcha.."
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

gymratt30

someone asked... if the white car is "usable"....and who gets which car....
well, we (my son and I ) will both end up with each a car, (his pick was the red car, due to the "High impact" color plus its a 4 speed car) ... However Because we have almost "over restored it" ...We both are in agreement... the red car is HIS, But its more of a show car now, we may elect to trailer it to meets, shows ect, but the white car ..on the other had is going to be our down and dirty driver..... it wont be fully restored, my son and I will have the metal work done by a pro, however all other aspects will are going to do ourself, ... we just want it to be a decent driver, and we can pull up at a car show or cruise in and say ...."yea its a real bird"... may look a bit ragged around the edges" but she's real.
That way, we will have the best of both worlds... a trailer queen and a everyday driver.
lastly I also feel good about this plan, because it my sons car is the red bird, and we both enjoy the driveability of the white car, when and IF the market value of these cars go back up... my sons car will be a "nicely restored " car with little drive time.

70gtx440dana

Great story.......I look forward to following this one through to the end. Keep the material flowing for those of us that can't wait for more details!!!  :drool5:
70 Road Runner FJ5 383-4speed Air Grabber
70 GTX FE5 440-4speed Dana 3.54
70 Charger R/T FJ5 440-4peed Dana 3.54

miller time

[/quote]

I agree with Troy. I think it will be more like that. Proud parent.
[/quote]

he will be proud and but i think he will be a bit jealous, i know i would sure be  :2thumbs:

i cant wait to see the red car all done, your son has a very good taste to want it for the 4 speed, youve taught him well, unlike all his friends that will probably never know how to shift gears unless its on one of these new "automatic manuals" just dont let him teach his freinds how to shift on it lol

Mopar John

I have just read about how you ended up with the 2 Superbirds. WOW! A great story with an even better ending. I am glad he decided to let you buy the Birds before they were too far gone and rotted down into the ground! Like every one else I will be waiting for more updates and pictures!
Thanks! Mopar John

wingcarenvy

Great story! I can't wait for the next installment.

mauve66

ok, 3 pages down, about a hundred more to go, we're still waiting....................... :popcrn: :popcrn:

awesome tale, nice to know the guy lived long enough to see at least one of them done AND get to drive it again

impatiently waiting for the next installment
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak