News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

VIN trunk stamp - can you tell if its a Superbird? UPDATED - it wasn't a Bird

Started by rainbow4jd, February 15, 2015, 04:04:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rainbow4jd

I'm thinking about going to look at a real rough half shell down in Alabama that supposedly has a back Bird window glass (well technically it has a back Bird window glass FRAME as there is no glass in it).   The front clip is gone and the guy says he has a VIN tag "somewhere" but he "can't find it right now", so all I'm left to look at is the shell with the back glass frame.

I haven't gone to see it in person - yet - so I'm just trying to educate myself before hand.    

The dilemma I see is that it has ZERO provable identification (unless he finds the VIN tag) and the guy doesn't have a title - its a barn yard, back 40, got shoved down the hill, salvage kind of thing.  So, my suspicions are high - even though he's not asking for tons of money on it - WHICH MAKES IT TEMPTING TO GO LOOK!  

At best (cough cough) - the guy comes up with the VIN tag, I find a broadcast sheet, and I can easily get a salvage title for my one of one, Panther Pink, Hemi Superbird.   (hahaha)

At realistic best, this could be a trashed Bird that has basically become a body parts donor car.   And this VIN number has already been resurrected somewhere.

At worst, and most likely, its a trashed Satellite that someone tried to turn into a Bird and gave up.  Supposedly the trunk floor and floor pans are totally rotted out, so it doesn't make sense that someone would weld a Bird glass frame around a piece of trash, does it?  

Even if it proves to be a Bird, I can't really see a way to verify its identity enough to try and ever get a title.   I'm also a little concerned that if the guy SUDDENLY finds a Superbird VIN tag (lose) that he's just trying to fake one.

Anyway - you understand what I'm facing....

What, if anything, can I look for to tell me if this is a real Bird?

I know there is supposed to be a VIN stamp on the trunk lip - but I don't think it has the first four digits.  

Were there ever any Birds without this VIN stamp?

Did all B-Body's have this stamp or just Superbirds?

IF the guy can come up with other identification of some kind (like the VIN tag) - should I be concerned if there is no matching numbers on the shell?

I know the radiator cowl VIN stamp was a "some do, some don't" kind of thing, but the entire front clip is gone - so that's no help.  That's why I'm thinking the ONLY proof might be the VIN trunk stamp lip - but I don't know what to look for or IF IT WOULD HELP.

If I get some photo's I'll post - before I go visit.

And on a final note - what's a rotted out Bird Window plug worth?    As that may be the only value in the entire car?

UPDATED!    Finally got an email picture from the guy - its a standard Road Runner/Satellite HEAP!    Someone had section the quarters out of it at some point and the bottom of the car looked to be rotted out totally.  I passed.

Arnie Cunningham

There are a great many details that can positively identify a Superbird.

Look for:
no emblem holes drilled in the quarter panel scoops
emblem holes drilled in the trunk lid
the trunk lid limiting pieces welded on the hinges
the scissor jack stud in the trunk floor
the corner diamond pieces (or holes where they were) on the dutchman panel
the large C type clips that hold down the ends of the headliner
the one piece rear window interior trim with the small gap cover
the unique package tray
the unique rear window exterior trim $$$$$
and, most obvious, the wing washers welded to the quarter panels

If it is not a Superbird there should be other evidence to help identify it.
(input from others welcome - please confirm the following)
I don't think Belvederes had the inserts in the quarter panel scoops - so no holes drilled for them
Many Satellites have the upper quarter molding - so holes are drilled for that
GTXs had a unique pattern of holes drilled for the GTX emblem in the quarter scoop
Road Runners had emblems on the quarter scoops

All that is just off the top of my head - others may have more info
Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

rainbow4jd

Thanks on all of the tips!

I knew that RM 23 is the 440 (because that is my bird) - but since (I believe the trunk lip vin doesn't include those first 4, that's why I asked)

I can't believe I forgot all about those other visual cues.    jack hold down bolt (doy!)

I'll keep you all posted if anything comes of this.

rainbow4jd

Quote from: Arnie Cunningham on February 15, 2015, 05:25:49 PM
There are a great many details that can positively identify a Superbird.

Look for:
no emblem holes drilled in the quarter panel scoops
emblem holes drilled in the trunk lid
the trunk lid limiting pieces welded on the hinges
the scissor jack stud in the trunk floor
the corner diamond pieces (or holes where they were) on the dutchman panel
the large C type clips that hold down the ends of the headliner
the one piece rear window interior trim with the small gap cover
the unique package tray
the unique rear window exterior trim $$$$$
and, most obvious, the wing washers welded to the quarter panels

If it is not a Superbird there should be other evidence to help identify it.
(input from others welcome - please confirm the following)
I don't think Belvederes had the inserts in the quarter panel scoops - so no holes drilled for them
Many Satellites have the upper quarter molding - so holes are drilled for that
GTXs had a unique pattern of holes drilled for the GTX emblem in the quarter scoop
Road Runners had emblems on the quarter scoops

All that is just off the top of my head - others may have more info

Man, I must have had a brain fart when I wrote my original!  How could I forget some of that stuff I already knew!  

Thanks AC!

PS I DID learn some new ones though

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

1970 RT/SE

My first Superbird didn't have the vin stamped into the trunk edge. I was told not all did. Good luck.

rainbow4jd

Thanks RT/SE

Based on all the other stuff (like wing holes, wing bracket welds, trunk lid stops, hold down jack bolt) I feel pretty confident I could figure it out.

rainbow4jd

UPDATED:   Finally got a photo - it was a ragged out road runner or satellite.   A true junk yard stripper

pettybird

Quote from: 1970 RT/SE on March 02, 2015, 10:33:59 PM
My first Superbird didn't have the vin stamped into the trunk edge. I was told not all did. Good luck.

The factory could have made errors but are there any other cars known that are missing the rear stamp?  Neither of my cars are stamped on the core support but both are done out back.

rainbow4jd

Quote from: pettybird on March 03, 2015, 12:05:12 AM
Quote from: 1970 RT/SE on March 02, 2015, 10:33:59 PM

The factory could have made errors but are there any other cars known that are missing the rear stamp?  Neither of my cars are stamped on the core support but both are done out back.

Man, what if you didn't have the core stamp or the trunk stamp?     On this board - it would mean it didn't exist - EVEN IF YOU WERE THE ORIGINAL OWNER!  HAHA