News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

...long time winged car owners

Started by 69 DAYTONA, November 09, 2011, 10:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69_500

For me its just simple. Personally I will have to say that I have not ever seen another car that can hold a candle to the absolute beauty of a 1969 Daytona. They are like art to me. I can just sit and stare at a Daytona for hours upon hours and just every once in a while I"ll notice something new or unique about a particular car.

I like Doug have been brainwashed though since a young age with growing up around these cars. Only unlike Doug I"m still wingless and just have the 500. One of these days though one of these days I'll get my Daytona. And you can bet your bottom dollar that once I get one, there will never be another day that there isn't one in my garage. Once it gets into this Liebrandts family it isn't leaving.

70Sbird

I still remember the first Wing car I ever saw. I was about 13 at the time out on my bike during the summer in the mid 70's when a red Daytona with a black tail stripe crossed an intersection near me. I can still see this like it was yesterday in my little hometown. I never saw it again but always remembered how cool I thought it looked, I always wanted one, the rest is history.
I made it into the mid 80's before I could even think about buying one. At the time I had about $3,000, but the wing cars were about $6,000, I would try a "Troy Trade" (Scott Trade back then) and come up with $6,000 and they were $9,000. I always seemed to be at least a couple grand behind the curve. We moved to Charlotte NC in summer of 2001 and the first piece of mail we received in our mailbox was the DSCA newsletter with an ad for a disassembled project Superbird for sale in Georgia. we drove down the following weekend and I brought the car home September 10, 2001. a date I will always remember. I have always liked the Superbirds better than the Daytonas, no real reason, other than I like the look of the Roadrunner, and the blacked out 'eyes"

Scott Faulkner

RallyeMike

I just wish I was qualified to respond  :icon_smile_blackeye:
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

A383Wing

Quote from: RallyeMike on November 10, 2011, 09:04:44 PM
I just wish I was qualified to respond  :icon_smile_blackeye:

I just wish I was qualified....

I have always like the looks...could not afford a real one...so we built one...had the parts before the car was found

Bryan

Mopurr

14 yrs for us now and took almost 2 yrs to find it.

When I was 6 my brother got a new 69 Charger......I fell in love.......I didn't know wing cars existed until I saw a row of Superbirds at the 82 street machine nationals......I was almost hanging out the window of Brent's Camaro as we were leaving the grounds to keep seeing them

So from then on always kind of wanted one......then Followed Robert & Linda Barnick a couple times to shows and really got the fever.

I don't care what the value is or how rare......it is just the car.....there is something about it......my first love will always be 69 Chargers and they made the Daytona with them.

F6Bee

You just will not find the look of a wingcar anywhere else.  The wow factor is pretty clear.  Been looking for probably close to 15-20 yrs, but the dice never rolled right.  Like others have stated, the cars always stayed 5k plus ahead of my finances.

Been lucky to own some nice cars including a few lift off hoods and other 6 packs, but maybe one day that wing car will end up in my driveway.  Looking for a 4 speed Daytona it seems like forever, and I really should of pulled the trigger on one about 10 years ago for about 60k if I remember right.

I remember in the 80's local Buffalo guy had Superbirds in just about every color, think he had 7 at one time.  You aero history guys had to know him.  Think he is down to maybe a couple, drives his Petty blue one to the local shows.

nascarxx29

I remember Steve Bataglia my friend bought a petty blue superbird off him.I got its picture and vin wrote down .Car ended up going to Barry Kanick in PA
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

pettybird

Quote from: learical1 on November 10, 2011, 03:05:38 PM
Just think.  If your uncle hadn't stuck his arm out of that elevator back in 1980, some other family may have found and adopted you and you could have turned out normal. :D :slap:

Ha!

Charger_Dart

I owned my Bird for many great years and I think it was a combination of the uniqueness and the NASCAR heritage that attracted me to the cars. I have never owned a car that I was so passionate about. I dream about owning another one someday.... I did some crazy things with it - how many of you have put your winged car inside a supermarket and trusted the stock boys to not wreck it. You should of seen the faces on the customers shopping when I drove it in and out of the store - LOL

68 Charger R/T & 68 Dart GT Convertible

SBBob

WOW!  Does this bring back the old memories.  My dad was more than a MOPAR fan he was a Plymouth guy thru and thru.  I knew who Petty was in the 60's.  Although my dad never even owned a V8 Plymouth (he was a MPG - slant six guy) I new all about Plymouth's.  I was hooked big time in 1968 when the BEEP-BEEP horn was invented.  I graduated in 1969 and had to have a Roadrunner.  Our local dealership did not have any 70's left, but the dealer in the next town had 3.  While there I was exposed to a Superbird sitting in the show room for the first time.  I have NEVER forgotten the attraction (LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT) that I felt.  Could not afford it new so ended up with a standard 70 Roadrunner.  No big deal as they were going to make a 71 version I would just get one in the future after collage.  Well we know that never happened and I spent the next 10 years looking at every Wingcar that came up in the Auto Trader.  Found mine in 1982 so I am sure that makes me a long time owner, but cannot count the many many great adventures I have had with the car.  What I like the most is the interaction every time I stop for gas or on display at a local car show.  Living here on the West Coast we get to see many old cars.  I drive for a living and see at least 2 - 60's cars, 10 - 70's cars and lots of 80's cars everyday.  See a lot of Mustangs and Camaros, but never see a Wingcar unless I am going to a car show with a buddy.  Love them of hate them, but they are the neatest, meanest and most awesome ride ever made.
Superbird Bob - 426 Hemi, 4 Speed, 3.54 Track Pack

FJ5WING

Quote from: SBBob on November 13, 2011, 11:33:02 AM
WOW!  Does this bring back the old memories.  My dad was more than a MOPAR fan he was a Plymouth guy thru and thru.  I knew who Petty was in the 60's.  Although my dad never even owned a V8 Plymouth (he was a MPG - slant six guy) I new all about Plymouth's.  I was hooked big time in 1968 when the BEEP-BEEP horn was invented.  I graduated in 1969 and had to have a Roadrunner.  Our local dealership did not have any 70's left, but the dealer in the next town had 3.  While there I was exposed to a Superbird sitting in the show room for the first time.  I have NEVER forgotten the attraction (LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT) that I felt.  Could not afford it new so ended up with a standard 70 Roadrunner.  No big deal as they were going to make a 71 version I would just get one in the future after collage.  Well we know that never happened and I spent the next 10 years looking at every Wingcar that came up in the Auto Trader.  Found mine in 1982 so I am sure that makes me a long time owner, but cannot count the many many great adventures I have had with the car.  What I like the most is the interaction every time I stop for gas or on display at a local car show.  Living here on the West Coast we get to see many old cars.  I drive for a living and see at least 2 - 60's cars, 10 - 70's cars and lots of 80's cars everyday.  See a lot of Mustangs and Camaros, but never see a Wingcar unless I am going to a car show with a buddy.  Love them of hate them, but they are the neatest, meanest and most awesome ride ever made.

what a great post!!!!! :2thumbs:
wingless now, but still around.

held1823

part of what makes a hemi bird like bob's so cool is, there is no outward indication of just how cool it really is.

sort of like a stealth mission, on the least stealth-looking car around.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

6PakBee

I don't know why.  It's something like the salmon going upriver to spawn, you know you have to but you don't know why.

SBBob

A wolf in sheep's clothing - NA! a wolf in wolf's clothing!
Superbird Bob - 426 Hemi, 4 Speed, 3.54 Track Pack

moparstuart

Quote from: SBBob on November 13, 2011, 11:33:02 AM
:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

moparstuart

Quote from: held1823 on November 13, 2011, 12:29:11 PM
part of what makes a hemi bird like bob's so cool is, there is no outward indication of just how cool it really is.

sort of like a stealth mission, on the least stealth-looking car around.
well i would never call a superbird stealthed , but maybe stealthed hemi bagded  :smilielol:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE