News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bad torque converter?

Started by 64dartgt, October 27, 2013, 02:47:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

64dartgt

I had a 904 rebuilt to stock a few years ago.  It was meant to go behind the original 318, but the motor went so I had a 71 340 rebuilt to stock with the exception of a Comp XE 262 cam, Weiand Stealth manifold and a 500 cfm Edelbrock carb.  Still has the single exhaust and 318 manifolds.  Replaced the highway geared 8.25 with a 8.75 with a 3.23 Sure Grip I had rebuilt.

I have two issues.   One is that it takes about three seconds of pressing on the gas in reverse before the car will move.  I have a rebuilt 904 in my 64 Dart with a 273 which doesn't have the issue and it is parked in the same garage.

The second is that I am thinking this combo should be able to smoke the tires and it won't.  The car just bogs (like the engine is held back by the tranny) and won't go anywhere, even power braking it.  It will spin a tire around a corner.

I am thinking about upgrading the converter to something with about a 2500 stall.  I presume the converter was replaced with a stock rebuilt converter when the transmission was done, but that it was one suited for a 318 with highway gears.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Bob

Cooter

71 is when they began to kill off compression if your bottom end is stock.
The issue with reverse...is this happening after car sits for like a week? If so, it could be draining the converter into pan. When fired up the trans pump must fill the converter all over again. Takes about 5 sec. If started every day, won't really notice tge drainback.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

John_Kunkel

"Morning sickness" caused by converter drainback can be mitigated by starting in Neutral instead of Park.

I wouldn't expect a warmed 318 to be a tire smoker. The stock converter is actually a 2500 (or better) but not with your combo....stall speed is dependent on horsepower.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

64dartgt

I agree that drainback might be the reverse issue.  I will try a neutral start to see if it goes away.

In 71 a 340 is 10.4 to 1 compression still according to Allpar.  They dropped to 8.5 to 1 in 72.  I guess a 71 motor could have been dropped already as it might have come from a 72 car.  Even then it should be about 275 hp.

Cooter

Tire frying comes from torque not hp. Stroker crank should take care of the problem.
That or boost/NOS.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"