News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Chasing Classis Cars

Started by Paul G, November 08, 2011, 08:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BananaDan

I've been watching Wayne and CCC for years, love it.  The old mechanic is awesome also.  I think he does very well, they sell lots of high end cars, he represents clients as a buyer or seller in auctions and restores very high end exotics.  I think he's one of the top Ferrari experts around too. I remember one episode where he flew around the country in his client's private jet to look at a GTO judge that was going to be in an auction.  They woke up the next day (auction day) and flew somewhere else in the morning before the auction started to look at another judge, flew back sat in the auction and the guy bought the judge and another car.  The client spent like $850K just on the two cars, and who knows how much he spent on the jetsetting around and fees to Wayne to be his advisor.  In another episode, he drives to a friend/client's house who has an old car he has finally decided to sell.  He pulls into his driveway with his truck/trailer and this middle-aged overweight sloppy mess of a guy waddles out to say hi.  The guy looks like he's practically homeless.  They open the garage door and he's got Duesenberg sitting there, mint.  Wayne looks at him and says yeah, I think we can get $1.2MM to $1.5MM for it and the guy says yeah, that's what I'm thinking.  I'm in the wrong line of work man...   :shruggy:

Definitely living the life.
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

aussiemuscle

Quote from: Red 70 R/T 493 on November 08, 2011, 10:46:15 PM
I haven't seen the show, but it HAS to be better than "Desert car Kings".....
i don't mind wayne carini's show, but there's not much of the 'restore' part of the process, it's mostly him preparing the car for auction and fretting as it goes under the hammer. His business is certainly the top end of the market.

DCK on the other hand tends to look more like a bunch of backyarders, restoring cars between sips. I did enjoy the bit where they revealed the boss hordes the rarest bits for himself, and the son sneaks in to his stash to steal bits to finish the cars. their two biggest problems are snakes and thieves (human snakes).

bobs66440

Quote from: BananaDan on November 09, 2011, 11:02:37 PM
I'm in the wrong line of work man...   :shruggy:

Definitely living the life.
My thoughts exactly!

68 Bullitt Charger

The place is not that far from me"F40 Motorsports" in Conn. I had called him several times while he was in town to help on a 9-11 benefit Classic Car Show and not only did he not respond, his secretary was nasty and lied everytime she advised I call him back instead of saying he was not interested. If I had a $300K classic car for him to sell at profit I'm sure he would have called me back, however donating a couple hours at a 2500 cars, car show, he was not interested. Personally he is a "Jerk*off". :flame:
Some of the Mopar Ride's in Stable.....
58 Pymouth Fury "Christine"
65 Ply Satellite 9.43@141 mph
58 Ply Fury "Christine"
64 40th anniv 880 Custom 383 Pwr Everything!

I'd rather be hated for the person I am, than be loved for the person I am not!!!!!!

bobs66440

That sucks, but it's not surprising...

68blue

Interesting show, I've never seen most of the cars he handles though.

moparstuart

Hd theatre or velocity  has been my favortie car channel for the last couple years  ,  great shows  or at least better then most . 

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Ghoste

I cannot say I know him well but just as someone I encounter regularly through work I will step up and say that Wayne is not a bad guy and not a jerk off.  The show thing has taken over his life a little bit (IMO) and forces him to be a little different than he once was.  When he turns up at auctions people HOUND him like mad.  I can understand him not getting back to someone with a request because I think he is likely bombarded with requests.  Nasty secretaries on the other hancd get no sympathy whatsoever from me.  I am definitely not trying to make excuses for someone else, I'm just saying that I have met the man several times over the years and had private conversations with him after hours and once again, what we see on television probably has little or nothing to do with real life.  It's staged for your entertainment.

68 Bullitt Charger

Sorry, there are no excuses for him as people were murdered on 9-11!!!! He has the ability to use his 15 minutes of fame and help a Benefit which had Celeb's and Televised on OCC and other channels. I did not appreciate the response, the ignoring and the disrespect he and his staff showed. Yes a Jerk*ff. Sorry. :RantExplode:
Some of the Mopar Ride's in Stable.....
58 Pymouth Fury "Christine"
65 Ply Satellite 9.43@141 mph
58 Ply Fury "Christine"
64 40th anniv 880 Custom 383 Pwr Everything!

I'd rather be hated for the person I am, than be loved for the person I am not!!!!!!

aussiemuscle

Quote from: 68 Bullitt Charger on November 10, 2011, 09:28:29 AM
The place is not that far from me"F40 Motorsports" in Conn. I had called him several times while he was in town to help on a 9-11 benefit Classic Car Show and not only did he not respond, his secretary was nasty and lied everytime she advised I call him back instead of saying he was not interested. If I had a $300K classic car for him to sell at profit I'm sure he would have called me back, however donating a couple hours at a 2500 cars, car show, he was not interested. Personally he is a "Jerk*off". :flame:

she probably never bothered to tell him... :pity:

DougMN

Quote from: Paul G on November 08, 2011, 08:10:38 PM
Anyone else watch this show? How does this guy make any money? Every time I watch an episode where he takes a car to auction, he looses money on it or barely makes any. I am not a business man, but, seems to me, if you run that way long enough, you go out of business.
The way it works is you lose a little on every deal but you make it up in volume.

Darkman

Just saw an episode where he was trying to Auction off a sky blue Dodge Power Wagon W200 (dual cab) - 87 I think it was.

Wayne said "it was meticulously restored", "it has a new hemi crate motor in it". I kind of lost a bit of respect for him, as I thought he knew better (it was not restored) - maybe just used the wrong word.

The owner had over $150k in it but it passed at $30k (the reserve was $40k). It was a very nice truck and indeed beautifully "rebuilt", but showed little interest

Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

moparstuart

Just watched a show where he and a partner bought and old custom car show curcuit ( auto rama ) street rod show winner from 1964  , and had been parked in a garage since the 60's  untouched .   He decide the best way to sell it was to ship it all the way to california and sell it at gooding ? WTF he's the expert but decides to sell a street rod at gooding ?  There was nothing else there like it and no real interest in the car .   It sold for 30 k what he had bought the car for.  He had to transport it to california and had travel costs and auction fees ?   Why wouldnt he sell it at mecum or even barret jackson a more street rod friendly auction house .

:shruggy:           
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

bakerhillpins

He seems to sell a LOT of cars with Gooding and I suspect that he ships several cars all at once out to the auction all of which probably give him some sort of price break on all ends which to some extent gives him more room. I am sure that the show isn't hurting his pocket book either.

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.