News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

frame rail advice

Started by deanj309, December 04, 2011, 07:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deanj309

Hi everyone,I removed my front floor pan,footwell pan and trunk pan.I esed a wire wheel to brush out loose dirt and a little surface rust,they are almost mint.my question is what should I use to coat the inside of the frame rails before the new pans are welded in.converter,epoxy? it.thx everyone

NHCharger

I brushed on a nice thick coat of SEM rust inhibitor, then sprayed on some rubberized undercoating. Tape off the top flanges of the frame rails before you spray any undercoating inside the frame rails.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

green69rt

Clean up those insides as much as you can!!!  But in the long term don't worry about them a lot.  A forty year old car has some rust and you can keep it down with some work.  I stripped the insides of mine with a wire wheel and somehand sanding then shot it with some Metal Prep from POR15.  If you use POR15 don't even think about skipping this step.   Then wipe the excess off with a damp cloth and either brush or spray on POR15 or another rust resistant paint.   The places where you will be welding the floor, use a weld thru primer to prevent rust.  Once your are done then just forget about it because this is one of the places that you can't go back to and you will worry about nothing

Just think about it, you have a forty year old car and you need to worry about rust inside the frame fails now!!!  Do what you can and move on.

bill440rt

If you had the area sandblasted clean, epoxy primer would be the way to go.
If you wire wheeled them clean, then a rust-inhibitive paint such as POR-15, Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator, etc is a very good second choice.

FOLLOW THEIR PREP INSTRUCTIONS ON CAN!  :yesnod:
If the finish is smooth from a wire wheel, then POR-15 may not stick properly. The surface needs to be fairly rough in order for good adhesion. You could rough up the surface with some sandpaper, etc. POR-15 likes either a rough finish from rust, if the surface is clean and left rough from sandblasting that is OK, too. It needs it to "bite".
Mask of the top flanges like NH stated to coat the insides, and then paint the flanges with weld-thru primer.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce