News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1969 B-body A/C - Heater box overhaul , wanna follow along ?

Started by gtx6970, December 08, 2011, 09:52:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rikubot

I was afraid you'd say that haha. That's the chapter of the two at least.
'69 Charger, 440/727

euroZ06

Sorry to resurrect the old thread, but i need help.

The first few pics here are gone, and im trying to fix my evap hose issue. I just replaced my compressor to make ac work, and it works, but the water condensate drips in the foot well (from the big black box). So i assume its an issue with the drain, but i cant find where the drain is supposed to be... can i get to it without taking things apart? The system itself looks like a fresh restoration.
68 charger, 383, 727, 3.55

The evaporator/condenser whatever you want to call it screws onto a drain pan which has two tubes that poke through the box and through the firewall.

You can see the tubes poking out the bottom of the box, they also should just be poking out from the firewall in the engine bay.

euroZ06

Ok, i think i saw those two, except they are not that color, they look bronze and i see them in engine bay... so why am i leaking inside? Both footwells (more so on passenger side).

Is there a way to remove the pan without taking everything apart? I cant really see the pan, i only see the black box under there (where the foot wents are and where the moisture forms..).

Is it coolant or condensation?

If condensation it could only be if the drain tubes are blocked or condensation is forming elsewhere in the box. I'd give them a poke with something incase bugs have turned them into a home.

Bronzedodge

The temperature valve, mounts w three unusual screws on the firewall from the engine compartment; or the internal valve or connectors could be leaking coolant.  Anti-freeze smell would be the giveaway.
Mopar forever!

euroZ06

Def water. The whole system seems brand new, but was done before i got the car.

I can see condensation forming on the box.

I will try to poke the tubes.

euroZ06

Hii!

So its summer again, and it means that i have recharged my ac system and... its leaking again.
Was leaking water primarily on the passenger side, would leak water on the drivers side after extended use (an hour).

So i took cloth hanger, and compressed air and went at it. The passenger side started working, yay! The water is dripping out of the tube... the drivers side, however, came back with a vengeance!! After a few minutes of ac system operating, it starts to pour inside the car out of the vents (at the bottom).

1. Does the tube bend in any way? I can only push the cloth hanger straight. It doesnt bend to go anywhere.

2. Any ideas what to do next? Is there an easy way to remove the train to investigate? The tube that goes outside sits tight, i cant move it. The whole system looks brand new (car has 2k miles after restoration).

3. Can i just spray some silicone inside the tube, to block off that end, so that all the water goes out the passenger side tube? (Why is there two tubes anyway...).

4. Does anyone have pictures additional pictures of the tray and under the ac system? Everything is closed off on mine, and without taking things apart, i cant see anything. The two pics above are great, but i cant see inside the tray or how it connects to the rest of the system.

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

euroZ06

Quote from: cdr on June 23, 2019, 11:41:19 PM
There are pictures of the pan above your post

The pic is angled. I cant see inside the pan/where the tubes fo.

Im trying to see where is disconnect between the pan and the tube.

cdr

Quote from: euroZ06 on June 24, 2019, 01:32:23 AM

The only way to fix it is pull the box out & take it apart, it will come out with the dash in place.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

euroZ06

Quote from: cdr on June 24, 2019, 01:26:53 PM
Quote from: euroZ06 on June 24, 2019, 01:32:23 AM

The only way to fix it is pull the box out & take it apart, it will come out with the dash in place.

Any way to just pull out the tray, without pulling out the whole system?
What could be broken there?? If i were to guess, the tube is somehow not attached, but i cant find pictures of where it attaches and how.

euroZ06

And also, can i just spray silicone into the driver side tube to block off that end? The passenger side drains just fine...

cdr

Quote from: euroZ06 on June 25, 2019, 04:47:48 PM
And also, can i just spray silicone into the driver side tube to block off that end? The passenger side drains just fine...

no do not do that. it is probably plugged up with deteriorating insulation & rat shit

euroZ06

Quote from: cdr on June 26, 2019, 09:50:31 AM

no do not do that. it is probably plugged up with deteriorating insulation & rat shit

I sprayed compressed air into it (from a ballon). Nothing :( should i try again? Can i just unscrew the tray without taking the whole thing apart?

cdr

Quote from: euroZ06 on June 26, 2019, 11:36:36 PM
Quote from: cdr on June 26, 2019, 09:50:31 AM

I sprayed compressed air into it (from a ballon). Nothing :( should i try again? Can i just unscrew the tray without taking the whole thing apart?

The only way to get to the tray is to remove the box

euroZ06

Does the tube inside the tray go straight back? Or does it kink up? How is the tube attached to the tray?

Charger jUNkiE

Awesome article and follow along.  Question.  Is there a secret to the area where the heater tubes slide into the heater core and the o-rings. This looks like a potential future leak right here.  What can I do or is there a special o-ring or lube to make this last 100000 miles like the last one did?

marshallfry01

I'm currently restoring the HVAC box on my 69 383 car. Does anyone sell the condensation drain trays for these original style systems?? I can't find one online. Mine has a big rust hole in it.

I know one thing, I'll never restore another factory style A/C system. So much of this shit is discontinued. I hate aftermarket parts but if I do another charger it'll be vintage or classic air.  :RantExplode:
1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.