News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

RamZCharger's 68 6.4 Hemi Restomod

Started by RamZCharger, October 03, 2014, 11:48:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RamZCharger

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on February 29, 2016, 08:48:03 AM

Did that TKO 600 ever loosen up?  

Mike DC - yes it is starting to loosen up.  There is a learning curve to it all so not only does the tranny need more miles, but I do too.  I am optimistic it will continue to get better, and right now it is not bad by any means.

We also finally have the driveline vibration sorted.  There is a Tremec app that prescribes a correct driveline angle based on a series of measurements using the gyroscope in your smart phone.  You can check it out here - http://www.hotrod.com/features/1507-its-free-tremecs-digital-driveline-app-for-smartphones/.  There was some debate with my builders . . . as conventional drag racing set-up has pinion angle more extreme to provide the most hook-up grip for those whose odometers roll a 1/4 mile at a time.  I use my car more as a grand tourer and I see a lot of highway time.  We shimmed mine around 4 degrees and it has made a world of difference.

RamZCharger

Still working out some bugs.  My remote oil filter leaks, and so does the pan which Modern Muscle installed – a bit unfortunate.  The pan is most likely the easier fix and it is something not too difficult to remove.  My exhaust cutouts are not responsive, but at least they are in the closed position.  I still have a hot start problem, which makes stalls all the more awkward and filling up with fuel challenging.  I think it may be a cable thickness issue with the battery in the trunk.  My Charger is longer than my Tahoe.

For the good stuff, I have passed 1,000 miles on the clock and just like the grand of road behind me so is the vibration.  Shifting is okay, the drive by wire and clutch feel takes some learning and I think once the psychology of being stuck on a stall is no longer an issue shifting will get easier.

I sprung for Fesler hinges (get it?), in brushed aluminum.  This is extravagant and financial reason is at a low, however I did pick up on a black Friday sale for a considerable discount.  If you have the patience I would wait for a similar promotion.  Fesler had great communication and kept me up to date on progress as the product in brushed is built to spec.

My trunk is a slam-it-jam-it-home situation that is painful but evidently I am stuck.  My builders think the quarters are too high, not noticeable except when closing the lid.  So, we had to add a couple shims to help, and so the finished trunk would not need too much modifications.  My builder Mike made some stellar brackets for the lid which tie it all together beautifully, and seamlessly.  Hat tip sir.

RamZCharger

The hood hinges are nothing short of magnificent.  The pictures do not do them justice, I am very pleased with how it has all come together in the engine bay.  From the hydroboost reservoir, to brushed catch can, to clutch reservoir, to the valve cover fins.  I have also upgraded engine hardware to stainless, because who needs a savings account anyway . . . and my intelligence is back there on the road with the two strips of rubber.  Ignorance truly is bliss.  

RamZCharger

Now for some trickery . . .  something I would like to show you which will stay out of sight but not out of mind because it is just too cool.  The aluminum block-off plate for the wiper motor now has more purpose.  The bolts have been drilled out and replaced with carriage bolts pointing threads toward the inside.  We installed a smaller first generation Camaro wiper motor on the other side of the firewall, and wipers work!  The travel is a little short, and would do in a pinch, but we will adjust the wiper arms for a longer sweep.  The motor is two speed and activated via switch under the dash, although who are we kidding – this thing won't see rain.  Mike P is a genius.  If anyone would like more info on these trade secrets just let me know, open patent.  Cheers.

WHITE AND RED 69

Looks great! I'm running the same hinges (Polished ones) and have been very happy with them.

Love the trunk panels!  :drool5:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

keepat

Your hinges are awesome! And the hidden wiper motor looks cool, please post a video of the wipers running!
Thank you!
Pat

RamZCharger

Thanks!  The panels are a builder original, and an I told you so from him.  Even with my reluctance he has managed to include some tasteful accents, and personality - but don't tell him that.  We have some more upgrades coming too . . .

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on May 09, 2016, 02:31:08 PM
Looks great! I'm running the same hinges (Polished ones) and have been very happy with them.

Love the trunk panels!  :drool5:

RamZCharger

Wheels and tires, everyone's dilemma – there is a good thread on the forum with this same title.  I like the old school look even with all the modern accoutrements I have incorporated that poke you in the eye.  There is something about big chunky tires that fit our cars perfectly in my humble opinion.  Magnums, vectors, torque thrusts, steelies, dog dishes, poverty caps, all have a place.  And here is mine in all her 15"s of glory sporting 255 fronts and 275 backs.  Classic.

For those looking closely that's a Hellcat hiding behind my Charger.

RamZCharger

Looks good right . . .  but not quite right for my build, right?  Grip is poor as you would expect but fun.  Aggressive throttle sends the wheels in a spin even when unintended.  I needed something that would instill a bit more confidence, and I wanted a tailored look more than off the rack.  Bling without the bling and performance to sure up the footing.

So here we go, 17" in front and 18" in the back.  245s and 295s!  Billet, shiny(er), Hugo Boss, and (hopefully) sans eye poke.  Quality all around without forgetting your roots.  It is quite amazing the subtle transformation from classic to modern classic.  Road manners are markedly improved, and paired with some other adjustments that I'll get to later overall driving enjoyment is also better.  The back needs to be raised about an inch, and I'll get to that, and bigger wheels mean bigger brakes, and I'll get to that . . .

Dino

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

keepat

I like the new wheels! Very cool!
Not in that picture but it's funny how the new Challenger makes the charger look small!
Pat

RamZCharger

Quote from: keepat on August 15, 2016, 10:44:11 AM
I like the new wheels! Very cool!
Not in that picture but it's funny how the new Challenger makes the charger look small!
Pat

Thanks, and thanks for your help in figuring out wheel size and offsets.

Agree on the Challey, what really struck me is how tall it is compared to the 68.  And how even though the Charger is longer, the wheelbase between the two is about the same.

WHITE AND RED 69

Looks great!!!  :drool5:  Nice choice with the rims.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

RamZCharger

Keisler is a 4-letter word.

I have been battling transmission and drive line issues since day 1.  Recently I replaced the junk shifter with an American Power Train White Lightning shifter based on several recommendations.  It's great.  The shift ball is dead still compared to the prominent vibrations that would give you tennis elbow.

But, the transmission became noisy – especially when not under load.  Instead of trying to treat symptoms we pulled the tranny and sent it to RPM Transmissions out of Indiana.  The good news is it isn't broken.  However, all those upgrades I ordered and paid for didn't make it into my Tremec.  No carbon fiber synchronizer blocking ring.  And my supposed pro touring stage 3 clutch kit is garbage.  My builders and the guys at RPM suspect a lot of my issues stem from the weak clutch.  Pedal feel was awful, but we installed a clutch stop just before engagement to take the guessing out of it.  Works really well, but again we are addressing symptoms . . .  So looks like a new clutch is in order.

I'm finally going to get those transmission upgrades too.  And a bit more – a micro polish that Tremec's seem to like.  Better than new is the choice phrase I'm hearing, in my situation this is a low hurdle.

In keeping score, a different shifter, a different clutch, a driveshaft because the commitment for one was not honored, new synchros, seals, gaskets, hydraulic reservoirs and new lines, and new mounting hardware because the supplied kit was junk.  Replacing anything to do with the aforementioned bankrupt 4-letter word company, priceless  :2thumbs:.

1970Moparmann

My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

RamZCharger

Below are some pictures of my clutch, with about 1,500 miles of use.  The clutch pads are coming apart on the flexplate side and they do not apply the full pad on either side.  Not a good piece of kit out of the box.  Going to have to resurface the flywheel.  Any recommendations for a clutch from you driveline experts?

Also, not impressed with my motor mounts.  I have the TTI biscuit style mounts and insulators.  The motor is sitting crooked and you can move it around.  My builders have had trouble with these mounts on a different car, the isolators compressed so much on a 'Cuda that they set the motor down on the steering cross bar, and fell apart when removed.  Looking for recommendations here too.  Cheers.

garner7555

Firefighter did this sticky thread on motor mounts.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,13216.0.html

You just use the factory style and modify with bolts.  I just did it on my car last winter but haven't tested it yet.     :2thumbs:

Edit:  Sorry, I wasn't thinking that you are running the 6.4.    :slap:   Nevermind. 
69 Charger 440 resto-mod