News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Reproduction Battery, Early or Late?

Started by johnnyseville, November 01, 2012, 08:24:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnyseville

Shopping for a repro, but they have 2 types, early and late production, the script on the battery seems to be different.  Were all the Daytonas classified as early production or late, or will I have to research to find out?
too many to list!

hemigeno

I think they use the "late" '69 battery script.  Most people simply notice if it's a red cap Mopar battery.

:Twocents:

pettybird

and either style lasts 3.2 minutes before failing completely.

69_500

62 Max

You're both wrong,have had only two in my bird since July 1992.First one lasted 8yrs,second still there.Both were from the original New Castle Battery Co in Erie.Pa that sold out.

Montreal Wing Car

Some of the new repros are basically Optima-type gel batteries, perfect for our type of use, inside an old-style casing. Been using one for 1-1/2 year, after the old acid one almost exploded in my face, and it starts great, keeps it's charge for weeks even with a modern radio that has a constant drain. The caps are just dummies, and the casing is the same as the other repros.
Keep that in mind when shopping for one!

Ben

WINGIN IT

Quote from: Montreal Wing Car on November 02, 2012, 12:00:18 PM
Some of the new repros are basically Optima-type gel batteries, perfect for our type of use, inside an old-style casing. Been using one for 1-1/2 year, after the old acid one almost exploded in my face, and it starts great, keeps it's charge for weeks even with a modern radio that has a constant drain. The caps are just dummies, and the casing is the same as the other repros.

Ben

Good point. I think the newer gel ones are much more stable and should last longer.

Bill, are the ones you have the original type?   

My yellow cap one on my T/A didn't last long at all. Basically the case split at the  bottom  :icon_smile_angry:

Charger-Bodie

A good trickle charger is key. Ive have also had multiple examples of these that have lasted 6-9 years. Its like anything.... Its all in how you maintain things.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

62 Max

Quote from: WINGIN IT on November 02, 2012, 01:11:27 PM
Quote from: Montreal Wing Car on November 02, 2012, 12:00:18 PM

Ben

Good point. I think the newer gel ones are much more stable and should last longer.

Bill, are the ones you have the original type?   

My yellow cap one on my T/A didn't last long at all. Basically the case split at the  bottom  :icon_smile_angry:

The first one was a regular that had to be filled,the current is sealed..For what it's worth,never had a battery tender on either one, through the winter months usually started them at least monthly unless I forgot,never had a problem.The current sealed one is almost 11yrs old,you can let it set for months and doesn't lose it's charge.