News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

daily driver

Started by 68chargerboy, January 21, 2006, 10:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68chargerboy

I'm so confused.  there are so many great mopars and so little money.  i was wondering i f i could have some suggestions and a cool daily driver form 1976 and earlier.  i also don't have alot of money to spend lol. one other thing is dont care about rust or dents from the outside.  please say what you think.  if by some chance you have something for sale e-mail me 68chargerboy@sbcglobal.net

greenpigs

Dart with a \6 and 4 doors are still CHEAP.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

rare69

my nephew just bought a 1970 duster with a six banger and a three speed manual in really nice shape for $1000.00 bucks just needs wheels and tires to be a great daily driver. and eventually the 340 and 4 speed, when money allows. there out there you just have to keep looking. good luck!

nh_mopar_fan

Johnny SixPack

D-Body, man, D-Body.

"72 Imperial Le Baron

$3800 got me original paint (still in great condition) and the original 440 is still in it. :yesnod:

It'll hold more strippers/beer/pizza/friends/chicks/strippers/camping equipment/beer than d@mn near anything on the road, and look d@mn good doing it. :2thumbs:

And here's the shocker, it gets as many looks/compliments as my Chargers.  ??? :icon_smile_big:
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

TheGhost

A bodies would be your best bet, so you can actually park it in the average sized space. :P  I drive my Barracuda daily, and it cost me 4k.  I'd look for a Dart, 72 and up are dirt cheap, with a 318 or a slant 6, and parts are plentiful.  Dusters also fit the bill.  If you are dead set on a B body, try to find a 73-74.  E bodies, forget about it, too expensive for what you are looking for.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

Silver R/T

you cant buy cheap nice looking mopar thats great daily driver.
i wouldnt trust old car to get me to and back from work
if it looks decent I woulndt drive it to work cautious of the damage it may get
i might drive Charger to work few times but its not gonna be daily driver, gas is too expensive
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Daytona R/T SE

Imperial !

greenpigs

Well guys I think tuna boats that get 9 mpg are not the best choice for someone when they are cash strapped.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Dodge-Charger

third gen Charger ! you can still find them at good prices if you look around.
If not go for a Sat, or RR. With the right motor you can get soem good MPG if you set the rear gears up.

The Ghoul

Quote from: Ghost on January 22, 2006, 12:02:42 AM
A bodies would be your best bet, so you can actually park it in the average sized space. :P  I'd look for a Dart, 72 and up are dirt cheap, with a 318 or a slant 6, and parts are plentiful. 
Id agree. The sland 6 is awsome for reliability, good running decent pep and a dime a dozen (relitivily speaking) and I have overheard at many car shows "whats a swinnger", "scamp, whats that? shure is a goofie name"
that would be sweet if you could find an A-body wagon!!
tho, it would be tempting to have a late model polara, wernt they D bodys back then?

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

dkn1997

a 30-40 year old daily driver?  you go that route and I can only gaurantee one thing:  you won't be driving it daily.  you will not have use of it on the days you are under it or it's in the shop. 

for daily driver, i am not too concerned with sticking with mopar or looking cool.  I used a 97 ford taurus for my last one.  power everything, never left me stranded until the day I plowed into someone and I waved bye bye as it went to the junkyard. 

There are so may 4/6 cylinder newer cars out there for dirt cheap that will have a/c for the summer, GOOD heat/defrost for the winter and EFI so they start all of the time.  I drove old crap daily in my 20's, and regret it.  I should have just got the loan and got something decent.  It would have cost me less in the long run.
RECHRGED

Old Moparz

Quote from: dkn1997 on January 22, 2006, 12:22:15 PM
   a 30-40 year old daily driver?  you go that route and I can only gaurantee one thing:  you won't be driving it daily.  you will not have use of it on the days you are under it or it's in the shop. 

for daily driver, i am not too concerned with sticking with mopar or looking cool.  I used a 97 ford taurus for my last one.  power everything, never left me stranded until the day I plowed into someone and I waved bye bye as it went to the junkyard. 

There are so may 4/6 cylinder newer cars out there for dirt cheap that will have a/c for the summer, GOOD heat/defrost for the winter and EFI so they start all of the time.  I drove old crap daily in my 20's, and regret it.  I should have just got the loan and got something decent.  It would have cost me less in the long run.

I could have sworn I just read what I would have typed.  ;D

The best move I ever made was to take the old iron off the road & buy a brand new, compact, 4 cylinder, Nissan truck to get to work in or fetch parts with. New tires, no miles, new brakes, A/C, heat, no rust & no headaches for the 155,000 miles I got out of it over 10 years. I paid $7900 in 1992, but monthly payments were $135 & cheaper than you think. When I was in my 20's I had more energy to spend the weekend fixing an old POS so I could get to work on Monday morning.

Rain or shine, summer or winter, the old cars break no matter how nice they look. No way in hell would I ever do that again. Also, as I look back, it ain't so cool fixing your car all weekend when your friends are heading to the shore in search of the opposite sex in their "newer & more reliable" cars. Most of them never got lucky or even a phone number, but they weren't covered in grease & dirt on Sunday night either. :lol:  (Except this one guy named Jim, but this is not the place to get into all that.)

I guess if you really had to have something old, like others have mentioned, a 4 door slant 6 will be okay. Just remember, if it's rotted on the outside, it'll be rotted on the inside, & not worth fixing since nobody will ever pay more than $500 for one.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

TK73

Quote from: Old Moparz on January 22, 2006, 02:53:28 PM
Quote from: dkn1997 on January 22, 2006, 12:22:15 PM

I could have sworn I just read what I would have typed.  ;D

The best move I ever made was to take the old iron off the road & buy a brand new, compact, 4 cylinder, Nissan truck to get to work in or fetch parts with. New tires, no miles, new brakes, A/C, heat, no rust & no headaches for the 155,000 miles I got out of it over 10 years. I paid $7900 in 1992, but monthly payments were $135 & cheaper than you think. When I was in my 20's I had more energy to spend the weekend fixing an old POS so I could get to work on Monday morning.

Rain or shine, summer or winter, the old cars break no matter how nice they look. No way in hell would I ever do that again. Also, as I look back, it ain't so cool fixing your car all weekend when your friends are heading to the shore in search of the opposite sex in their "newer & more reliable" cars. Most of them never got lucky or even a phone number, but they weren't covered in grease & dirt on Sunday night either. :lol:  (Except this one guy named Jim, but this is not the place to get into all that.)

I guess if you really had to have something old, like others have mentioned, a 4 door slant 6 will be okay. Just remember, if it's rotted on the outside, it'll be rotted on the inside, & not worth fixing since nobody will ever pay more than $500 for one.

I just spent 10 months driving my brothers '03 4x4 Toyota quad-cab leather, premium sound, power everything TRD.  He came back from Russia and I am back in my '73 Charger and '78 Suburban as daily drivers... they SUCK to drive daily; poor MPG, rattly, can't get the windows to unfog in the morning, taking wrenches to both about once per week, on-and-on-and-on... 

I'm now looking for something mid 90's to run the F'in wheels off while I drive the Charger on the weekends to enjoy.
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

GoodysGotaCUDA

I'm looking for something to replace my b'cuda as my daily driver. there is a local 1973 duster. slant six, 904, white interior, buckets, console w/floor shift. rust/dent free. I'm trying to get it for about $700. There are some deals to be had, and the slant will run forever  :icon_smile_cool:

TK73

Quote from: GoodysGotaCUDA on January 22, 2006, 03:36:49 PM
I'm looking for something to replace my b'cuda as my daily driver. there is a local 1973 duster. slant six, 904, white interior, buckets, console w/floor shift. rust/dent free. I'm trying to get it for about $700. There are some deals to be had, and the slant will run forever  :icon_smile_cool:

That is one of the BEST DAMN WEBSITES I have seen for a car.
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

GoodysGotaCUDA

Quote from: TK73 on January 22, 2006, 03:50:50 PM
Quote from: GoodysGotaCUDA on January 22, 2006, 03:36:49 PM

That is one of the BEST DAMN WEBSITES I have seen for a car.

Hey thanks! i really appriciate that. i've put some time in it, im still updating it  O0 :wave:

dkn1997

yeah, goodysgothisshittogether alright.  That is a very good sight.

goody, are you up and running again after your valves had a close encounter with your pistons?  how did you fix it
RECHRGED

GoodysGotaCUDA

Quote from: dkn1997 on January 22, 2006, 07:10:45 PM

goody, are you up and running again after your valves had a close encounter with your pistons?  how did you fix it

before, we never set the proper lifter preload. which we did this time, we also had to notch the valve relifs in the piston to the 2.02 valves (since the 318 pistons have reliefs for the stock 318 valves...) There is plenty of clearance now, and it wont be revvin up that high again...thats for damn sure.  :icon_smile_approve:

The Ghoul

Quote from: GoodysGotaCUDA on January 22, 2006, 08:35:17 PM

before, we never set the proper lifter preload. which we did this time, we also had to notch the valve relifs in the piston to the 2.02 valves (since the 318 pistons have reliefs for the stock 318 valves...) There is plenty of clearance now, and it wont be revvin up that high again...thats for damn sure.  :icon_smile_approve:
I hate you !!!
(dont worrie its just because im green with envy)
you are 18
have a barracuda to drive daily
and are going to pick up a dart to just tool around in.
I am 23
have been lusting after barracudas ever sence I was 5 and found one in a pack of micro-macheenes.
My charger is far from done
and I have to deal with this thing every day, the only redeaming factor of the subaru is awd in the winter and its a manual. other than that it wont get out of its own way!!

GoodysGotaCUDA

Quote from: cudaeh on January 22, 2006, 09:11:00 PM
Quote from: GoodysGotaCUDA on January 22, 2006, 08:35:17 PM

I hate you !!!
(dont worrie its just because im green with envy)
you are 18
have a barracuda to drive daily
and are going to pick up a dart to just tool around in.
I am 23
have been lusting after barracudas ever sence I was 5 and found one in a pack of micro-macheenes.
My charger is far from done
and I have to deal with this thing every day, the only redeaming factor of the subaru is awd in the winter and its a manual. other than that it wont get out of its own way!!
i work my ass off to pay for my 'Cuda. Im lookin to get a Duster, or theres a thin chance of another 'Cuda actually...we shall see. (see my thread reg. the cuda)  :icon_smile_big:

Johnny SixPack

Quote from: greenpigs on January 22, 2006, 12:34:41 AM
Well guys I think tuna boats that get 9 mpg are not the best choice for someone when they are cash strapped.

I get 12 mpg in my Imperial. :2thumbs:

Better than the 7 mpg I get out of my "70 Charger's 440.  :icon_smile_big:

Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

greenpigs

QuoteI get 12 mpg in my Imperial

On the highway?
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Bandit72

get a rampage..i don't know why, but i like those little trucks, especially with a standard....
later  :icon_smile_cool:
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....