News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 Charger (2nd gen) trunk lid seems bent

Started by MoPar_440, January 15, 2012, 10:16:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoPar_440

Hi all, put a new trunk seal on my 68 charger the other day, trunk was already sitting a little higher on one side (passenger), then after new seal was installed, it sits an inch higher than that again!!!! :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:
I have tried the lid on without the hinges and its the same, so i dont think its the hinges that are bent  :shruggy:
How can i fix this problem?? do i try bend the lid with a timber under one side?
I will be taking it to a restoration place if i cannot fix it myself!!
1968 Dodge Charger, all numbers matching 383 BB, factory air, 727, PP1 red, Black vinyl roof, black interior, Magnum 500 wheels..yes i have Dodge fever.... There's only one cure...CHARGER!!!!

Mopar....No replacement for displacement!!!

bill440rt

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

MoPar_440

Tried to upload pics but they too big to fit, file exceeds the usual limit  :flame:
Maybe i can email them to you???
1968 Dodge Charger, all numbers matching 383 BB, factory air, 727, PP1 red, Black vinyl roof, black interior, Magnum 500 wheels..yes i have Dodge fever.... There's only one cure...CHARGER!!!!

bobs66440

You can upload the photos to an image hosting site like Photobucket, copy the [img] link and paste it into the box where you type your reply here. Downsize the pics to about 900x675 max. It's the easiest way.

Dino

Although not impossible, it would be strange to have a bent trunk lid without seeing the evidence in the condition of the metal skin.

Remove the lock, the new seal and the hinges and lay the trunk lid in place, if it's still off then something is out of whack alright!  If your hinges don't touch the trunk lid when the bolts are out then you can leave them in place.

Once you determine which part is off you can start the repair, right now I can think of a few things that are off.

Do not use the rest of the car as leverage because the trunk lid is stronger than the quarter panels, the wrong part may flex.

Lastly you shold be able to get the trunk lid pretty straight with even gaps all around, but don't expect it to be as tight as a new Benz.  It may be, but they usually had a few flaws in the fitting department.

If you have a straight edge or a long level you can flip the trunk lid upside down and see how it looks corner to corner.  do the same with the trunk opening on the car.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

bill440rt

I believe Microsoft has a free download of some simple photo resizing software. You basically just have to right-click over the photo, scroll down & choose Resize. It will save it as a copy. You can then post it. Very easy.

Are you sure you have the weatherstripping installed in the right spot on the gutter? Also, is it facing the right way?? My hunch it's the weatherstripping more so than the deck lid.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

MoPar_440

MoPar_440

I think i got it!! Thanks to bill440rt and bobs66440!! :icon_smile_big:

MoPar_440

The drivers side has always sat well

MoPar_440

Over the last two days, the rubber has "settled" a little!! I am absolutely positive i have the weatherstrip on the correct way!! there is only one way it can go, plus i checked out the original rubber before i took it off  :D :icon_smile_big:

MoPar_440

I have tried the trunk on without the hinges, same thing, tried it before i put the new weatherstrip, same thing, only now it sits higher of course bcoz of the new rubber  :brickwall: :brickwall:
The trunk lid has to be kinked, twisted??? :scratchchin: :shruggy:

Patronus

Try raising the opposite corner (drivers side at dutchmen) It may come out a little higher there, but a little will go a long way on the opposing corner.  :Twocents:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

1970Moparmann

Quote from: Patronus on January 16, 2012, 09:09:15 PM
Try raising the opposite corner (drivers side at dutchmen) It may come out a little higher there, but a little will go a long way on the opposing corner.  :Twocents:

Agree! :2thumbs:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

MoPar_440

Ok... i tried adjusting the lid on the drivers side and got it looking spot on!  :icon_smile_big:
Still the trunk is sitting high on the passenger side grrrrr  :brickwall: :brickwall: :RantExplode: :flame:
I have a guy coming to check this problem out during the week, he says without looking at it, it sounds as though the latch for locking the trunk seems out of whack??? :shruggy:
I just dont see how this could be as its an alignment issue  :scratchchin:

Hemidog

Adjusting the deck lid is a pain in the ass  :Twocents:

Dino

The latch may be (part of) the problem.  Just remove it.  If the trunk lid is still crooked then you know it's not the latch.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

bill440rt

You got the picture thing sorted out, great!  :2thumbs:

There are 2 bolts on each hinge holding the deck lid on. Try this. With the deck lid open, loosen the top bolt on the passenger side. Just slightly crack the bottom bolt, don't go too loose, keep it very snug. Pull the deck lid at the top then allowing it to "pivot" on the bottom tight bolt. This will put the loose top bolt at the bottom of the adjustment hole, which should bring that back corner down a bit. From there, you may have to tweak the lid a bit to fine tune it.

Domino

Just fixed this identical issue a few weeks ago on mine.  No matter what I did, only 3 corners out of 4 would align...
To fix, I bent the entire decklid across the diagonal, it was so simple to do and fit so nice after, I can't believe how much time I had wasted trying to align it before.

Remove decklid, lay it (ALWAYS top up) across a padded sawhorse.  In your case from back left corner to front right corner.  
Restrain front left corner on the top (I used a 2 post lift arm raised up and wrapped with padding.)
Push down with your palms on the right rear corner like a spring board.

You'll want to do it little by little, fitting to the car and back to the springboard until it lays in nicely with all 4 corners even.
Remove hinge springs, latches, weatherstripping (maybe keep in your case), etc use cardboard shims/tape to pad it up for alignment check.

flyboyedwards

My trunk lid seems bent too. Can someone tell us if a long level should sit flush across the rear upper edge or bottom rear edge? Thanks!

MoPar_440

I tried the lid with the latch taken off, same thing.... lid needs tweaking, just hope i dont crack the paint!!!