News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need help from guys who fishmouth tubes

Started by 253862656971, January 20, 2006, 03:07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ok this is a little off the wall.

A while back I saw on Hot Rod TV that Don Garlits had this little tool he was showcasing at one of the autoshows.  It was a round small piece that had needles and when pressed against tubes it would hold its shape.  You could then insert the tube you wanted to fishmouth in this tool, trace the outline and then take the tube to the grinder or mill or whatever and fishmouth the tube.  I'm in need of the name or place I can find this thing.  Thanks.
When I was just a very young lad I looked up and told my dad, a bareback rider's what I wanna be.  I want the whole world to know about me.  In the rodeo arena I'll make my stand.  I wanna be a rodeo man.  I'll come flyin' from the chute with my spurs up high, chaps and boots reachin' for the sky.  Spurin' wild with my head throwed back, you'll ask 'Who's that,' well that's Bareback Jack.  You'll ask 'Who's that,' well that's Bareback Jack.

Rick Keesler

I'm not familiar with the gadget Don Garlits was using, but you might try looking at your local welding supply store. It sounds like some type of "contour guage" for tubing.

When I used to cut/fit pipe for ammonia refrigeration, we did it the old fashioned way....with a wrap-a-round, soapstone, and a pipe fitter's blue book.

Dodge-Charger

QuoteWhen I used to cut/fit pipe for ammonia refrigeration, we did it the old fashioned way....with a wrap-a-round, soapstone, and a pipe fitter's blue book.

Still the best way.

Ok I'll look in the parts store.

The problem with using the paper cutout is that most of the tubes are at funny angles with 2,3, and sometimes 4 tubes all coming together at the same point.  These fishmouths also change from year to year.  I don't think we've made a frame yet that was the same as any of the ones before it. (testing and improving the design)
When I was just a very young lad I looked up and told my dad, a bareback rider's what I wanna be.  I want the whole world to know about me.  In the rodeo arena I'll make my stand.  I wanna be a rodeo man.  I'll come flyin' from the chute with my spurs up high, chaps and boots reachin' for the sky.  Spurin' wild with my head throwed back, you'll ask 'Who's that,' well that's Bareback Jack.  You'll ask 'Who's that,' well that's Bareback Jack.

I thought I'd do a follow up on what I found.  This took me over 15 hours to find and it was by accident.  Hopefully I'll save someone the trouble.

http://www.vansantent.com/pipemaster.htm

MyMopar

Well that is pretty neat.  I've been looking for a reasonable priced tubing bender and the MOdel 3 says it is affordable, but at $295 and then the dies and stand, the price soars over $600.  I guess some tools are just not meant for me  :'(