News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What was your finest wingcar moment?

Started by Ghoste, January 01, 2012, 02:35:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

I ask because as a longtime wingcar fan but never an owner, mine finest moment changed in 2011.  One year ago it would have been the first time I laid eyes on a real Daytona.  That was a white one and it was the first Mopar Nationals when it was the Chrysler Car Club Conference in 1980 or whenever it was.  It was in Chelsea and when I pulled into the lot at the host motel to register with my club (an E-body group) there it was in all of it's racy glory!
But this year, my boss lent me a 69 Daytona to take home for the weekend and I think from here the only thing that is going to top the thrill of driving one around or looking out in my driveway and seeing it sitting there or picking my kids up at school with it, would be ownership.

nascarxx29

Growing up my next door neighbor had a orange superbird
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Ghoste

But you've owned one.  Wouldn't you call that finer than your neighbors?

nascarxx29

r4daytona

I used to walk ome from elementary school past Delaware Motors in Buffalo.  There was a white superbird in the showroom, love at frist sight. lol  I still remember it havng a scratch on the passengers headlight door.  The only thing that made it better was that my 1st grade friends dad owned the ice cream truck.  Walking home with ice cream and seeing that bird everday .... at 7 years old it was heaven!  Found out a few years ago that the car was a hemi car.

69_500

Once I finally get a wing car of my own I will let you know what the finest moment is. Until then it would be one of the hundreds of memories I have of riding in them with my Dad.

nvrbdn

my finest wingcar moment was at monster mopar in st. louis when my friends father in law had his motorhome there and we were havin lunch. he asks me to see my video camera. i hand it to him and he throws me and my friend the keys to the super bird and says he will film us while we take it in the parade laps. that was awesome. always wanted to run the track and finally got to. plus the video to remember the moment. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

rustafarian

May of 1970,  I'm on my bike at the corner of North Ave. & 76th Court in Elmwood Park,  IL right down the block from Johnnies Beef.  Up to the light pulls a green SuperBird,  I'd never seen or imagined such a thing. I just started hollering my brains out.  He pulled by and gave me a thumbs up.  Been hooked on cars since right then and right there.  SUre would like to thank that guy.
Beyond the Palace hemi-powered drones scream down the boulevard

nascarxx29

Quote from: r4daytona on January 01, 2012, 07:13:00 PM
I used to walk ome from elementary school past Delaware Motors in Buffalo.  There was a white superbird in the showroom, love at frist sight. lol  I still remember it havng a scratch on the passengers headlight door.  The only thing that made it better was that my 1st grade friends dad owned the ice cream truck.  Walking home with ice cream and seeing that bird everday .... at 7 years old it was heaven!  Found out a few years ago that the car was a hemi car.

I have Steve Battalgia #s he was from that area and owned 5-7 superbirds

440mop

Becoming a wingcar owner was pretty special; but participating in the '09 reunion is the highlight, meeting up with a fantastic bunch of guys and driving across the 'States in my own car was something very special, and then to do the parade lap! Unforgettable !!!
John
440 4spd Daytona - Sold
Auckland New Zealand

pettybird

You can call my mother and verify this as true. 

We were on our way to the WW meet in Indiana on the turnpike.  It was around midnight and I was hustling along in the B5 car.  We were tired and wanted to get across the state to be at Nichol's Garage the next morning.  I'm in the left lane, about to pass a truck, and I glance in the rear view mirror.  It's a big Ford, and I don't know if it's a cop or not...I decided to pass the semi (was doing 75+, now doing 85+ to get around the truck.)  I get into the right lane and sure enough it's a state trooper.  I'm nervous as hell, and he's RIGHT off of my bumper JUST like when they're running plates.  What seems like an eternity later he pulls level with us and glares over.  He picks up his radio mike and says, "nice car."  With relief and a little bewilderment I beep and wave.  He keys the mike again and says, "you can run it if you want to."  I look over at mom and neither of us knows what to say.  I beep and wave again.  He picks up the mike, and louder, slower and more forcefully, says, "you..can..run..it..if..you..want..to."  I beep, drop into second (we're doing 50 and holding up traffic) and take off.  He gives chase, but a Crown Vic won't take a 'bird.  I shift into drive and keep going until mom starts hitting me as we're passing 120.  The cop finally catches back up, smiles like a madman, hits the lights and sirens and takes off. 

Having the cars for 35 years, and being around them my whole life, I have a lot of unreal memories.  A sampling:

-dad driving John Pointer and family at Chelsea on the five mile oval
-me driving the same oval in '96, listening to a sedated-calm Jerry Service recall meeting dad, scaring Kyle Peters until his knuckles were white, and maxing out the Petty car in the top lane
-driving to Talladega...thrice.
-driving on Darlington, Michigan, Indy and all of the other little tracks that we've been around
-Pulling down onto Bristol's infield, figuring that we wouldn't get yelled at (you can get away with murder in these cars)
-getting away with said murder several dozen more times
-fixing Jerry Narramore's tailpipe on Rt 66 with a hammer and my wallet
-hell..it was cool when I got dropped of at school in it!
-running the entire length of the Power Tour with zero issues
-being a hooligan at Martinsville
-letting other people drive--that's another thread altogether there.
-letting other people's kids sit in the car, beep the horn, or have their pictures taken on the wing
-hosting the 2011 national meet
-all of the meets mom and dad hosted
-getting the car signed by both Pettys

Most importantly, they did more for me than I could ever pay back.  They helped create continuity in our lives after my dad was fired in '81 and we had to move and change everything.  They're still helping us cope with the loss of my father.  The also introduced me to most of my friends as well as my best friend.  They allowed me to have the job I have now.  How many other inanimate objects can do that? 

nascarxx29

Best moment would be buying this 1st superbird in mid 70-s and driving it the 1500 miles from Houston to N.J.And the road trip home state by state following leads I got car like yours over at this guys place etc all the way home

Lighthorseman

Mine will be when I get my "Birdible" finished... :2thumbs:  :popcrn:

tan top

awesome storys / memorys    , thanks for sharing , :cheers: :cheers:
love reading this  kind of stuff  :yesnod: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Mr. 4-Speed

I went to the Talladega Winged Warriors meet 2 years ago, with my buddy Troy Hawkes ( Hemi68Charger ) and i was in the passengerseat when we drove on the Talladega-track.
He also let me drive the car in Houston ( with sweaty hands, because i didn't wanna plant his original sheetmetal nose in one of those japanese importcars )

FJ5WING

My "first" wing experience was taking my car out for a ride when I was looking to buy.....That drive had nearly no impact on me compared to driving the car home after buying it, It was my car now and it seemed like every single person I looked at was already looking at me and pointing or smiling and waving. I'll never forget how that felt.
wingless now, but still around.

69 DAYTONA

...taking my first ride in a  Daytona, I bought the low mile F6 4-spd car from the original owner on the spot

...driving around the Indy Speedway several different times

...driving the Daytona to the MOPAR Nats in Ohio

...driving it as daily transportation for several years and the looks/comments I got

...buying a low mile B5 Superbird from the original 93 year old owner

...driving the Bird to the MOPAR Nationals and taking my 10 year old son...I remember heading home that Sunday, fueling up and hitting the on-ramp to I-70 at speed and never missed a beat all the way back home

...buying the next low mile R4 Daytona with my Dad (now deceased) as a partner, he loved driving the Winged Wonder to the local restaurants on Sunday...someone would ALWAYS rush up on him to buy it

... my buddy (now deceased) driving it to the MOPAR Nats in the fog at 100mph

...buying another Superbird I chased for 20 years

...but the best is probably getting a chance to purchase the R4 Daytona back from the guy I sold it to, it will never leave the nest again...too many memories with that Daytona...it still has just 9400 miles

...and everytime I stop to look at the Daytona, sitting tall and proud in my garage, I just get flooded with memories of past times and adventures with the car

pix...my Dad driving the Daytona about 20 years ago at the local Chrysler Plant Open House...

nascarxx29

Though not the owner .Seeing a good friends wingcar build we worked on get magazine exposure
The FM3 superbird conv was the MCG car debuted in 94. We had it a Carlisle and the mopar nats.Started off as a original 70 FM3 factory color satelitte conv.And we stayed with its original color as we built the car.We had a real superbird parts car .That only lives now in a envelope we saved.We joked with people and said we cut the roof off a real superbird.But to make it a real as possible we used all original wing car parts down to the jacks.My friend Mike has other wingcars and always wanted a conv one.After sitting in storage a suspicious fire by vandals occured for what reason ??By a miracle the car came out in good shape after the garage and nos parts 1/4s etc etc were toast.The SPR BRD NJ plates were mine I had ordered them for a car I was bringing in from TX to NJ.And when that car was totalled I gave the plates and whatever wingcar parts I had on this build

6PakBee

My best time was driving my Superbird for the first time.  She isn't pretty but my names on the title!

nascarxx29

Another would be driving to NY to Steve Juliano I sold some nos parts and see the supercharger upclose

PocketThunder

If owning a C500 counts, my finest moment was when i put a hillside hemi in it so i could drive it to Milwaukee for the Aero Car meet that summer and seeing everyone do a triple take as they walked by it and saw the leaning tower of power under the hood.
Paul

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

hemi68charger

Quote from: nascarxx29 on January 01, 2012, 03:06:17 PM
Club page on Troy Aero car development
http://wwnboa.org/troyhawkes.htm

Cool... Thanks Dave... Didn't even know it was online. I remember the newsletter though.......  :)
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

tyly

My best moment is, when I saw for the first time live on the wing car, and it was mine.

I had already bought it via  internet, and I was in hotels lobby in Wisconsin, Stewens Point, that I would see my car, and I made ​​the long trip towards the Finland.

I heard a great voice, and I went out and I saw first time my car and the first time wing car also, there was a lot of people look at my car too.

Dealer, who find the car,  gave the keys to me and said, you drive, your car.
  I drove the car first time in America, very excited, yes.

The next day,I drove to  Shawano County, where is the Doc's Harley museum, and there was a blue superbird, Hemicuda and other interesting cars.

On the way I tried what it feels like to drive 145 miles / hour  :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

I never forget that feeling.
Plymouth Superbird 440 six-pack, 4-speed, 15000 miles
Dodge Charger -70 RT/SE Hemi
Dodge Challenger convertible -70 6.4 SRT HEMI

http://tyly.kuvat.fi/

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: PocketThunder on January 02, 2012, 11:30:09 AM
If owning a C500 counts, my finest moment was when i put a hillside hemi in it so i could drive it to Milwaukee for the Aero Car meet that summer and seeing everyone do a triple take as they walked by it and saw the leaning tower of power under the hood.
Paul

:icon_smile_approve:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

SBBob

Feel in love at the first up and close sighting.  On the showroom floor, but could not afford it, ended up with a 70 RR.  12 years latter I found my dream car and pinched myself to sleep for 3 straight nights.  The most fun was my trip to the reunion in 1999.  6 aero cars left Seattle and headed East.  It was a car show every time we stopped for gas.  Will always cherish that 2 week trip!!!!!!
Superbird Bob - 426 Hemi, 4 Speed, 3.54 Track Pack

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

XS29LA47V21

Quote from: pettybird on January 01, 2012, 10:37:37 PM
You can call my mother and verify this as true. 

We were on our way to the WW meet in Indiana on the turnpike.  It was around midnight and I was hustling along in the B5 car.  We were tired and wanted to get across the state to be at Nichol's Garage the next morning.  I'm in the left lane, about to pass a truck, and I glance in the rear view mirror.  It's a big Ford, and I don't know if it's a cop or not...I decided to pass the semi (was doing 75+, now doing 85+ to get around the truck.)  I get into the right lane and sure enough it's a state trooper.  I'm nervous as hell, and he's RIGHT off of my bumper JUST like when they're running plates.  What seems like an eternity later he pulls level with us and glares over.  He picks up his radio mike and says, "nice car."  With relief and a little bewilderment I beep and wave.  He keys the mike again and says, "you can run it if you want to."  I look over at mom and neither of us knows what to say.  I beep and wave again.  He picks up the mike, and louder, slower and more forcefully, says, "you..can..run..it..if..you..want..to."  I beep, drop into second (we're doing 50 and holding up traffic) and take off.  He gives chase, but a Crown Vic won't take a 'bird.  I shift into drive and keep going until mom starts hitting me as we're passing 120.  The cop finally catches back up, smiles like a madman, hits the lights and sirens and takes off. 

That is funny, I admire your willingness in the moment, cool story. :2thumbs:

NYCMille

I've actually got two...

Charger_Dart

I built up many great memories when I owned my Superbird, but probably the finest moment was years after my bird & I parted ways.

I was at the Mopar Nationals several years ago with my current Gold Charger and ran into a old friend there. He had his 426 Hemi Superbird at the show in the fun field. We were both about to leave the show when Lee turns around and asks if he could drive my Charger. He mentions he wanted to see what it was like to drive it. I think about it for a second and he tosses me the keys to his bird and says how about we switch cars back to the hotel? I have this real stupid look on my face in disbelief and he says  - It's Just A Car. The wife & I jump in the bird and had a blast driving it back to the hotel - Fastest trip we have ever made from the show to the hotel; ever!
Something I will never forget.

68 Charger R/T & 68 Dart GT Convertible

Aero426

Quote from: Charger_Dart on January 04, 2012, 03:25:16 PM
I built up many great memories when I owned my Superbird, but probably the finest moment was years after my bird & I parted ways.

I was at the Mopar Nationals several years ago with my current Gold Charger and ran into a old friend there. He had his 426 Hemi Superbird at the show in the fun field. We were both about to leave the show when Lee turns around and asks if he could drive my Charger. He mentions he wanted to see what it was like to drive it. I think about it for a second and he tosses me the keys to his bird and says how about we switch cars back to the hotel? I have this real stupid look on my face in disbelief and he says  - It's Just A Car. The wife & I jump in the bird and had a blast driving it back to the hotel - Fastest trip we have ever made from the show to the hotel; ever!

Must have been a green Bird.  :lol:

moparstuart

Quote from: Aero426 on January 04, 2012, 04:23:44 PM

Must have been a green Bird.  :lol:
:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Dave Kanofsky

Quote from: Aero426 on January 04, 2012, 04:23:44 PM
He had his 426 Hemi Superbird at the show in the fun field...Lee ... says ... It's Just A Car...  

Must have been a green Bird.  :lol:

Likely with the trunklid removed and people piled in going down Brice Rd...
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

Dave Kanofsky

Quote from: rustafarian on January 01, 2012, 08:46:39 PM
at the corner of North Ave. & 76th Court in Elmwood Park,  IL right down the block from Johnnies Beef. 

Best beef and sausage combo in the galaxy!  Be sure to get the large Italian ice (and request "no cap")!
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Dave Kanofsky

pettybird

Other people drive?  my favorite story there was my friend Gilles from Quebec.  We were at the 'nats on Bryce and he was with a friend.  Mom offered him the chance to drive the car, with me riding in the back/  We left her to spectate and he went up and down Bryce, and then turned off the street at the gas stations at the end of the "hot" section.  I was in the back seat as the two up front were silent and enjoying the cruise.  About 10 minutes later I suggested we go back...Gilles woke from his trance, apologized and we went back to my bemused mother.  She wasn't worried...she still chuckles about it.

The other good story was when we went back to Martinsville IN to reunite the B5 car with its previous owner, Danny.  He hadn't seen it since 1975, and of course we offered to let him take it out.  Mom stayed behind with my nephew and Danny's son.  I figured we'd blast up and down the road, beep the horn a few times...but no.  He more or less took me hostage.  I met his best friend, stopped by the police station, stopped by the sheriff's station (he's a volunteer,) saw a few more people--we were gone WELL over an hour.  He bought us a tank of gas for the trouble, and I know he really appreciated it.  Again, there was mom left to wonder where her car went.  Me?  My whereabouts were not so important  :lol:

pettybird

Quote from: XS29LA47V21 on January 03, 2012, 05:41:33 PM

That is funny, I admire your willingness in the moment, cool story. :2thumbs:

Wing car rule #1:  You can get away with just about anything.
Wing car rule #2:  You can get away with just about anything.  

No other rules need apply.   Also, I'm a product of my father, and as such also believe in asking for forgiveness over permission.  Another disciple of that philosophy is Mike Svec.  We go on tours with the meets under the motto of "if they didn't want you in there, they wouldn't have bothered installing a door."

marty42

It may have been when I first saw a winged car.  My husband came home from work and told me he had found the car of his dreams.  (I was amazed since he loved his 72 Roadrunner B5 with a black roof)  He said it was a roadrunner just like he already had but was two years older.  He had put a second mortgage on the house and we were to pick it up on Friday.  We bought it from a collector of vintage fire engines so tucked between the gold script, chrome and red was a huge blue wing.  I nearly dropped my infant son!  It was so ________ ( I came from a conservative Chevy family).  But Rick was so excited I could only be gracious and admire his find - a petty blue 440 4sp.  The next day I put cotton balls in baby Doug's ears and went drag racing with him.  Rick was thrilled.  (Three months later he went to a sheriff's auction in Indianapolis to see who was going to buy a B5 automatic.  He came home and announced that Household Finance would be over at 8 am to assess the furniture so he could pay for the car.  That was scary!)
     We were stopped several times so police could 'look under the hood', and in Michigan Rick got a ticket for drag racing on city streets.  But those were his stories.  When he died, I kept the cars.  He loved them so much I couldn't part with them and they weren't worth very much.  They certainly would not have paid his medical bills. 
     On a trip to a National meet in Tennessee, I was headed down a mountain of straight road with just a few truckers in the B5.  The road was so straight and clear - well, I just opened it up.  It flew!  It felt wonderful!  Then we heard on the CB truckers calling a smokey for a flying blue car. I luckily found an interchange and pulled into a McDonald's, hiding the car behind a billboard.  The kids had happy meals while the police drove up and down looking for me.  Those truckers!
     Other great moments were with the wonderful people I have met and all the places those cars have taken me.  I drove Doug to preschool and kindergarten in that  B5.  We camped and went off-road,through streams and over hills to primitive campgrounds because the car had such a huge trunk.  (Once we were near a tornado and had to tie the tent to the wing to keep it from blowing away.  In the morning I used the wing and tent poles to hang laundry to dry out our clothes.  The car was draped with sleeping bags.  Wish I could find the pictures.  We had lines of winged cars at the Ann Arbor meets, causing cars on the opposite side of the interstate to pull off to take pictures.  Even coming home from Indianapolis this summer, cars and trucks drove on the rumble strips trying to photograph us with their cell phones.  I have great friends and toured unusual businesses through the club meets.  (The pickle factory?  Steel Mill?  Wow!)  I consider myself part of an immense family related to each other by automobiles.  Sometimes in my life they have been better than my family.  How about the early meets when a trunk of beer and a few owners guarded our cars through the night at the motels.  (Well, that's what they said they were doing out there all night.)  I still talk to Terri Anderson who sold her car years ago.  And Joyce and others who still have theirs.  A lesson I learned from a few fellow owners who, the minute after selling their wing, wanted nothing in the world but that wing back.  I guess that is why I still have mine. 
    I met Mike Ross of B E & A at a convenience store.  He was in the parking lot and, after assuring him that I was the car's owner, told me to follow him to his house because my dash pad was cracked and he would give me a better one.  I was uncertain.  But he assured me his intentions were to only give me a dash pad, so I followed him home.  Guys, those pick-up lines don't work with everyone.  The sad fact is that Doug did not put the pad on the dash for years, and Mike yelled at him every time he saw us.  What a guy!  It's on there now!  Thanks.
     My first Daytona was a rusty one from Quebec (see Canadian carsinbarns pages 25 and 79 - no wing, nose, ...)  When I took it to a Dodge dealership to have the title verified, a former salesman happened to be there.  He was ill and 'rheumy'.  He took one look at the car and began crying.  As tears flowed he told me the dealership had once had an orange Daytona.  I hugged him.
   I guess another funny story was when I bought Mike Svec's Marty Robbins clone (to complete the Daytona).  As I drove it home on the interstate, a handsome man rolled down his window and asked if it was my car.  When I said it was, he told me he would marry me for it.  I knew I would drive the car as Marty for a while.  And I am glad I did.  Doug put a  5.7 hemi in it and it just roars!
     I have a great many memories and these are just a few. 

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House