News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Are people just getting dumber or what?

Started by RECHRGD, January 02, 2012, 12:42:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RECHRGD

We've got our ten year old grandson visiting us for the holidays and we try to have age appropriate programs on the TV for him to watch.  So, we're watching the game show "Are you smarter than a 5th grader".  There's some guy on there that graduated UCLA with a 4.0 GPA.  He begins by picking a 1st grade measurement question and can't answer it.  It was; how many pounds are in a ton....  WTF!!!!  I do get stunned sometimes by the lack of basic knowledge exhibited by many of our younger folks, but geeeze, a college graduate can't answer a question like that!  I do remember trying to convince an ex-son-in-law once that, at 60 mph you were traveling at the rate of a mile per minute.  He never got it!!!!  Do the schools not teach basics anymore or is it just too easy to look things up on the internet, so why learn this stuff....
13.53 @ 105.32

Cooter

College grads with a 4.0 GPA just means they know how to take a test. It's the same 'ol thing my Grandpappy used to tell me. "Son, there's smarts, then there's common sense"...Most people think the smarter they are, the better/higher paying job they will get. This is true unfortunately, as EVERYBODY wants some pile of forms that says  your "Quaified" to do a job. When in fact, they can't do the simplest of tasks. The world is getting away from the DIYer. We are a society of over educated morons that can't touch our own asses with both hands.

This is part reason why I can't stand to see someone post on a forum that they "Can't do something"...NOBODY is so stupid that they can't do something, they just refuse to do so. Most give legitimate excuses like no time, as that higer paying job they got due to all those 4.0 GPA's they got keep them from being able. Then, there's the lazy ass, Instant gratification, people that just simply find doing the actual work on these cars is the sucky part and prefer to not to do any "Sucky" parts.

This is why I'm glad no matter what is thrown at me, I refuse to say "I can't do that", or "I'm not qualified" to do that. If it's built by man, I can work on it and most times repair it. The same cannot be said for the rest however as proof by you seeing it on National TV.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

skip68

:scratchchin:   how many pounds make a ton?   ???    Pounds of what? ???
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

The70RT

It seems like car guys and cooks are the only ones that can comprehend weights and measures. A buddy of mine stated you would be surprised at the people who work construction that don't comprehend as well. He told a couple guys to cut some re-bar into 3' lengths and they said they were running low and may have to weld some pieces together, he says do what you have to do. They took 6' pieces and added 3' to each one making them 3 yards long  ::)
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

mauve66

i just got back form home depot yesterday and i couldn't believe my ears

i buy a concrete stake with no tag on it, the kid, early twenties, starts looking through the computer to see what it is (after i told him), he keeps looking at the re-bar screen...........  finally i get him to change screens and he sees a pic of the stake, now there are 4 sizes, he looks at the stake and says "oh, you got the 2 ft one".  i politely tell him its the 18 inch one (on the screen right next to the 2 ft one) and he looks at me funny, walks around the register and holds it up against a ruler they have on the wall.  the only problem is this ruler is in tenths, 1.10 ft, 1.20 ft, 1.30 ft, 1.40 ft, 1.50 ft.........
he goes , "oh its not 2 ft, its 1 1/2 ft", at least he got that part right i guess, i say (still vaguely politely) "yes, its 18 inches", he walks 2 registers over to get a regular measuring tape and after measuring it AGAIN, he comes back and says...................  wait for it wait for it................ "you got the 18 inch one" :brickwall:

kinda like going to mcd's and ordering a half dozen mcnuggets and them telling you they only come in 6, 10, ......................... :brickwall: :brickwall:
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

mauve66

Quote from: The70RT on January 02, 2012, 05:51:44 PM
It seems like car guys and cooks are the only ones that can comprehend weights and measures. A buddy of mine stated you would be surprised at the people who work construction that don't comprehend as well. He told a couple guys to cut some re-bar into 3' lengths and they said they were running low and may have to weld some pieces together, he says do what you have to do. They took 6' pieces and added 3' to each one making them 3 yards long  ::)

damn canadians.................. :2thumbs:
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

bull

Some of the questions on that show fall under the "learn it and forget it" category but yes, I too have been sadly amazed at the very basic questions many adults can't answer on that show. The other day I was watching a youtube video where a guy was on the street with a mic asking people if they knew who Adolf Hitler was and there was an alarming number of them who had no clue. Now that to me is a lot more frightening than how many pounds in a ton, which itself is scary enough.

A383Wing

I watched that show when it was on.....there were a lot of questions I could not answer....

Bryan (not smarter than a 5th grader)  :brickwall:

Tilar

2000 lbs make a ton, and here are a few things that people really need to remember:

A degree on a protractor or a thermometer is a useful thing. A degree on a fool is just an indicator of money and education wasted.

Colleges are in the business of selling degrees. They have no interest in how the degree is used, only in selling more degrees. Never automatically grant any man or woman superiority because that person has a degree. It ain't safe!
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

TruckDriver

Quote from: skip68 on January 02, 2012, 05:44:04 PM

Doesn't matter if it feathers or if it's lead. A ton is a ton. Just the volume is different.

I suck at math, and I knew that, lol.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Fred

I think it's how many pounds of crap in a ton!  :slap: :D

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

A383Wing

is that something like "10lbs of crap in a 5lb bag?"

Bryan

Vainglory, Esq.

Quote from: A383Wing on January 02, 2012, 07:27:09 PM

Bryan

Hey!  No politics on this board!

nh_mopar_fan

Think about it this way.

If the average person is an idiot then there a lot of people even dumber.

bull

Think about how much is done for people these days; how much self-reliance has gone out the window even in the past 20 years or so. How many people could remember the phone numbers of even five of their friends and family members? It's all stored on your phone now. Why remember that there are 2,000 lbs. in a ton when Google can tell you in 10 seconds? Why learn how to pump the brake pedal on icy roads or parallel park when the car does it for you? Why get a job when the government pays your bills with other people's money?

Fred

Quote from: A383Wing on January 02, 2012, 07:27:09 PM

Bryan

Yes but if you wait till it dries, you can fit 20lbs in a 5lb bag!!  :D

Fred

Quote from: nh_mopar_fan on January 02, 2012, 09:26:45 PM
Think about it this way.

If the average person is an idiot then there a lot of people even dumber.

The good thing is................it doesn't hurt to be an idiot. If it did, most of us would be screaming out in pain day and night!!

nvrbdn

people are programed that way today. my granddaughter is 11 years old. had homework with fractions. i said "devin dont you know how to find comon denominator on a fraction by now?" she said "we did that last year grandpa, now we use calculators in school so we dont do it no more so i forgot how."
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

RallyeMike

QuoteThink about how much is done for people these days; how much self-reliance has gone out the window even in the past 20 years or so. How many people could remember the phone numbers of even five of their friends and family members? It's all stored on your phone now. Why remember that there are 2,000 lbs. in a ton when Google can tell you in 10 seconds? Why learn how to pump the brake pedal on icy roads or parallel park when the car does it for you? Why get a job when the government pays your bills with other people's money?

....my butchery and cotton weaving skills have sure gotten weak from lack of use.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Kern Dog

I agree with BULL here. Technology has made people faster but certainly NOT smarter. The analytical part of our brains that are responsible for problem solving isnt being used like before. The reason that we were taught mathematics is to develop our 'problem solving" abilities. Use it or lose it.

69CoronetRT

Quote from: RECHRGD on January 02, 2012, 12:42:27 PM
There's some guy on there that graduated UCLA with a 4.0 GPA.  He begins by picking a 1st grade measurement question and can't answer it. 

maybe he was waiting for clarification on the question.

Short ton? Long ton? Metric ton?

There is more than one answer as there is more than one definition of a 'ton'.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

69CoronetRT

Quote from: 69CoronetRT on January 03, 2012, 01:35:50 AM
There's some guy on there that graduated UCLA with a 4.0 GPA.  He begins by picking a 1st grade measurement question and can't answer it. 

There is more than one answer as there is more than one definition of a 'ton'. Maybe he wasn't the dumb one.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

Fred

Quote from: RallyeMike on January 02, 2012, 11:31:26 PM
....my butchery and cotton weaving skills have sure gotten weak from lack of use. 

:smilielol: :smilielol:

bull

Quote from: RallyeMike on January 02, 2012, 11:31:26 PM
QuoteThink about how much is done for people these days; how much self-reliance has gone out the window even in the past 20 years or so. How many people could remember the phone numbers of even five of their friends and family members? It's all stored on your phone now. Why remember that there are 2,000 lbs. in a ton when Google can tell you in 10 seconds? Why learn how to pump the brake pedal on icy roads or parallel park when the car does it for you? Why get a job when the government pays your bills with other people's money?

That's not my point but it does make me wonder how many idiots these days don't know where meat and cotton come from. Throughout history there have been people who specialize in many jobs such as school teachers, carpenters, doctors, etc. I'm not talking about career skills, I'm talking about basic knowledge and how it relates to daily tasks. How to drive a car, how to add numbers together, how to read a book...

TheGhost

The movie idiocracy is going to come true...
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

Tilar

Quote from: 69CoronetRT on January 03, 2012, 01:35:50 AM
There's some guy on there that graduated UCLA with a 4.0 GPA.  He begins by picking a 1st grade measurement question and can't answer it.  

There is more than one answer as there is more than one definition of a 'ton'.

I don't think they even teach it in school anymore.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

1969chargerrtse

This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: TruckDriver on January 02, 2012, 06:54:47 PM

Doesn't matter if it feathers or if it's lead. A ton is a ton. Just the volume is different.

Yeah but what would the ton weigh on the moon?
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

BigBlackDodge

It amazes me how many kids these days can't tell you the time if they have to look at a face type clock :rotz:

BBD

Old Moparz

My wife told me a funny story from a previous job she had at a printing company back in the late 80's. She came home from work one day & said that she is definitely underpaid. There was a guy who ran one of the magazines that her company printed, who's office was in the same building. He had been out in the hall watering plants & came inside their office bitching about how all the water was pouring out the bottoms of the flower pots & that someone needed to call the maintenance staff so they could do something about it. This guy was making over $100,000 a year at the time, & had gone to some expensive college that he loved to mention in conversation whenever he could. When my wife asked why he was watering the plants, he replied that he never sees anyone else take care of them & didn't want them to die. My wife told him nobody waters them because they're fake.

:smilielol:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Ghoste

Look how many on here think texting is acceptable for all forms written communication.  Grammar, capital letters, punctuation, sentence structure and all of it are being purposely abandoned.  If you think adults now have trouble being smarter than a fifth grader, what makes us think the next generation will be any better?

bobs66440

Half of the problem is they try to cram so much useless information into the student's heads that there's no room left for common sense. My 12 year old is studying the Pythagorean theorem in math class now. Really? Why does a 12 year old need to know this? Does ANYONE need to know this??  :brickwall:

They should spend more time and effort teaching useful things like how to budget money, understanding credit, loan & insurance small print, getting and keeping a job, social skills, etc.

Old Moparz

Kids also need to be taught to know something about nutrition basics, or maybe even learn what certain foods are. Here's another story that would be funny if it didn't actually happen. My wife overheard a high school student on line in the cafeteria ask what something was while pointing to cauliflower. Another student answered & said he didn't know & thought it was albino broccoli.  ::)

Bob                

RECHRGD

And to think that we are about at the top of the heap worldwide in spending on education, and this is what we get.... ::) ::)
13.53 @ 105.32

bobs66440

Quote from: RECHRGD on January 03, 2012, 11:04:08 AM
And to think that we are about at the top of the heap worldwide in spending on education, and this is what we get.... ::) ::)
Yep, the trend of "pay more, get less" in New York continues with no end in sight... :rotz:

bobs66440

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on January 03, 2012, 06:15:53 AM
Quote from: TruckDriver on January 02, 2012, 06:54:47 PM

Yeah but what would the ton weigh on the moon?
About 333 lbs.  :yesnod:

Steve P.

Jesus Christ SKIPPY,,,,,, you just made me blow coffee all over my keys and screen!!!!

:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Steve P.

I have turned Leno off when he does his JAY WALKING bit due to the incredible morons that this country has produced. If ever anyone thought we DIDN'T NEED to rethink what we are teaching our kids today, I want to add them to the list of MORONS that Leno interviews.  :brickwall:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

TheGhost

Quote from: Old Moparz on January 03, 2012, 10:19:53 AM
Kids also need to be taught to know something about nutrition basics, or maybe even learn what certain foods are. Here's another story that would be funny if it didn't actually happen. My wife overheard a high school student on line in the cafeteria ask what something was while pointing to cauliflower. Another student answered & said he didn't know & thought it was albino broccoli.  ::)

If people want to forget that cauliflower is a food, let them.  Worst thing I've ever eaten.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

elacruze

Quote from: bobs66440 on January 03, 2012, 09:52:16 AM
Half of the problem is they try to cram so much useless information into the student's heads that there's no room left for common sense. My 12 year old is studying the Pythagorean theorem in math class now. Really? Why does a 12 year old need to know this? Does ANYONE need to know this??  :brickwall:

They should spend more time and effort teaching useful things like how to budget money, understanding credit, loan & insurance small print, getting and keeping a job, social skills, etc.

The Pythagorean theorem will save his life when he's out sailing the oceans and his electronic navigation systems go out. Or when he wants a raise at the truss manufacturing plant. Just a thought.

Budgeting, credit, insurance; those are all things you should be teaching him at home. School is for education you *can't get* at home.

:Twocents:
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Fred

Quote from: Steve P. on January 03, 2012, 11:57:58 AM
I have turned Leno off when he does his JAY WALKING bit due to the incredible morons that this country has produced. If ever anyone thought we DIDN'T NEED to rethink what we are teaching our kids today, I want to add them to the list of MORONS that Leno interviews.  :brickwall:

Oh my God! I've watched that over here too and can't believe that these morons would actually want to show the world just how stupid they are. AND WORST OF ALL..........THEY SEEM PROUD OF THE FACT!!  At first I thought this can't be for real but sadly it is. And when, as an American you don't even know where Mexico is or that it is actually a Country and not an American state ...........well then, that's just plain sad. I'd hide my head in shame!
And yes, these morons are everywhere around the world. There's plenty of them here in Australia too.  Boohoo!!

Steve P.

I think I saw the same show. The question was to name 2 countries that border the USA... 5 or more people could NOT answer that.... One of them was from TEXAS and another ARIZONA. How badly I wanted to reach out and slap the taste out of their mouths!!!!! A few years back Leno was at a school in California. He showed a picture of Arnold Schwarzenegger. One guy guessed about 4 or 5 times before he came up with (THE TERMINATOR) .. Leno says: Do you know what his job is today? Answer: I don't know,,, does he work for you?? Leno asks: Who is the Governor of California? Answer: That guy that use to (BLLEEEEEP) Cher.... Leno says: Who is the GOVERN-A-TER? (in Arnolds tongue). Answer: the guy-that-ate-Cher...

I believe there should be people stopping other people in shopping malls and sports arenas and such, that much like Leno, stop and ask people simple questions that (by their age) should know the answers to. If they answer more than 2 questions wrong, BANG.... Throw him on the wagon... 
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Fred

Yes, and when you (the general public/morons I mean) select your President (or Governor) for no other reason than you liked him in the movies, well...........there's nothing more to be said except...........blow that wagon up!!

Ghoste

There is a Canadian comedian named Rick Mercer that did an entire special like that called "Talking To Americans".  He basically travelled the US talking to the average citizen.

miller

Quote from: elacruze on January 03, 2012, 05:32:40 PM

The Pythagorean theorem will save his life when he's out sailing the oceans and his electronic navigation systems go out. Or when he wants a raise at the truss manufacturing plant. Just a thought.

Budgeting, credit, insurance; those are all things you should be teaching him at home. School is for education you *can't get* at home.

I agree,

Pythagorean theorem is a very important little tool, i used it just yesterday to figure out the dimensions of a sectional for my new apartment.

But i think this interesting is, while we all agree that tons to pounds should be known... but how far should common knowledge go? Celsius to Kelvin? Celsius to Fahrenheit? Inches to centimeters? Vector analysis? Bernoulli's equation? At what point is it okay for the general public to say... I don't know?

2005 Harley Davidson 1200 Sportster Custom - Maggie
2012 370Z NISMO - Courtney
1979 Corvette L-82 - Lilly
1969 Dodge Charger R/T Clone - Vanessa

Steve P.

My additional .02 is that I want to know how some of these idiots find their way home?? Is the learning curve so bent that we are pushing out complete idiots in this country??

In boot camp a guy was tossed out because he couldn't spell INDIANA correctly. Guess what state he was from..... I mean, like, I could understand it if LIKE, auh, like he was from a tough place like auh, OHIO or sompin!!  :shruggy:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Fred

I think the world is reverting back to the planet of the apes!!!  :nana:

RallyeMike

I believe the answer is no. There is about the same percentage of dumb people in the world.

My point in the crack comment that "my butchery and cotton weaving skills suck" was meant to imply that as society progresses, technology advances, and world knowledge base continue to increase, ......... thinking patterns and skills in the new generation change and adapt. Old timers think kids are dumb because they don't have a basis in the old skills, young folks think old timers are feeble because they can't operate a remote control or turn on their computer or text 100 words per minute.

If you think people are getting dumber, think back to what your grandparents thought of your actions as a young adult. Yep..... conclusion: If you think people are getting dumber, you are probably just getting old.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Old Moparz

Quote from: RallyeMike on January 04, 2012, 12:23:49 AM
I believe the answer is no. There is about the same percentage of dumb people in the world.

My point in the crack comment that "my butchery and cotton weaving skills suck" was meant to imply that as society progresses, technology advances, and world knowledge base continue to increase, ......... thinking patterns and skills in the new generation change and adapt. Old timers think kids are dumb because they don't have a basis in the old skills, young folks think old timers are feeble because they can't operate a remote control or turn on their computer or text 100 words per minute.

If you think people are getting dumber, think back to what your grandparents thought of your actions as a young adult. Yep..... conclusion: If you think people are getting dumber, you are probably just getting old.

What you said may very well be true, but dumb is still dumb no matter what age or whichever skill you've mastered for the modern technology of your generation. It could be sending Morse Code on a telegraph, or a text message on a Droidian Ipod tablet.  :lol:

This is one dumb bimbo who can probably out text anyone over 50.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WALIARHHLII
               Bob                

RallyeMike

Hot-ness offsets dumbness. I think she's brilliants.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1973 Charger "T/A"

Fred

Well that explains it....................there's no way you can find a country on a map if you haven't got one!! :D :D :nana:

Everybody's Xmas present for next year..................an Atlas!!
I bet you won't find that on anybody's wishlist!!

Old Moparz

Quote from: RallyeMike on January 04, 2012, 12:57:53 AM

Well, she's cute but I'd get a poster with her photo. I'd have choked her to death years ago if I had to listen to her for more than 2 minutes with my morning coffee.   :lol:
               Bob                

Fred

Quote from: Old Moparz on January 04, 2012, 01:10:07 AM
Quote from: RallyeMike on January 04, 2012, 12:57:53 AM

Well, she's cute but I'd get a poster with her photo. I'd have choked her to death years ago if I had to listen to her for more than 2 minutes with my morning coffee.   :lol:

That's how I feel about Arnie Schwarzenegger................in my oppinion he's the male equivalent of the blonde bimbo! (when he opens his mouth)

Steve P.

That's about a minute of my life that was completely wasted... And Uuum, like South Amricasia and umm maps and like, umm, I'm outee!!!
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

bull

Quote from: Ghoste on January 03, 2012, 09:45:14 AM
Look how many on here think texting is acceptable for all forms written communication.  Grammar, capital letters, punctuation, sentence structure and all of it are being purposely abandoned.  If you think adults now have trouble being smarter than a fifth grader, what makes us think the next generation will be any better?

The idea of texting is pretty retarded anyway when you realize you can accomplish three times the communication in 1/3 the time with a simple phone call. Like Jay Leno said, as inefficient as it is you'd think text messaging was invented before the telephone.

bull

Quote from: Old Moparz on January 04, 2012, 12:41:22 AM

During a recent password audit, it was found that a blonde was using the following password:

MickeyMinniePlutoHueyLouieDewe­yDonaldGoofy

When asked why her password was so long she said, "Because the policy states that it had to include at least 8 characters."

Old Moparz

Quote from: bull on January 04, 2012, 04:28:53 AM

During a recent password audit, it was found that a blonde was using the following password:

When asked why her password was so long she said, "Because the policy states that it had to include at least 8 characters."

:lol:  Good one.

Quote from: bull on January 04, 2012, 04:09:20 AM
Quote from: Ghoste on January 03, 2012, 09:45:14 AM

The idea of texting is pretty retarded anyway when you realize you can accomplish three times the communication in 1/3 the time with a simple phone call. Like Jay Leno said, as inefficient as it is you'd think text messaging was invented before the telephone.

As far as texting goes, it has it's place as a useful means to communicate. My wife was a teacher's aid in an autistic classroom, so there was no way she could take calls or make them during the day. If I had to get in touch with her, or her with me, like when one of us wouldn't be able to pick up our daughter, it was the only way we could without being disruptive.

It's also great for when you're taking a dump & need to reach someone & not let them hear the embarrassing sounds going on in the background.  :2thumbs:
               Bob                

skip68

:smilielol:   
Not me.  That's when I make my calls.    :icon_smile_big:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

bill440rt

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bull

Quote from: Old Moparz on January 04, 2012, 09:22:05 AM

As far as texting goes, it has it's place as a useful means to communicate. My wife was a teacher's aid in an autistic classroom, so there was no way she could take calls or make them during the day. If I had to get in touch with her, or her with me, like when one of us wouldn't be able to pick up our daughter, it was the only way we could without being disruptive.

It's also great for when you're taking a dump & need to reach someone & not let them hear the embarrassing sounds going on in the background.  :2thumbs:

Sure, there are times when texting makes lots of sense. When things need to be quiet, when you're sending simple messages like an addresses or a time to meet, etc. All things in moderation, right? But when you see some people texting 18 hours a day it's probably safe to assume much of it is a waste of time.

Fred

:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:
You know what they say.....................You can't educate an idiot!!

A383Wing

bobs66440

Quote from: miller on January 03, 2012, 11:15:54 PM
Quote from: elacruze on January 03, 2012, 05:32:40 PM

I agree,

Pythagorean theorem is a very important little tool, i used it just yesterday to figure out the dimensions of a sectional for my new apartment.

Ok, I get that it's not completely useless, but for the average person it serves little purpose. And for the average 12-13 year old it is information that will not be retained long enough for them to use it in adult life. If he ends up being a construction engineer, architect or surveyor he will hopefully be taught this in college when it is relevant. My point is that they don't spend enough time teaching the basics that are the foundation for all the advanced lessons. There's many kids this age that still can't multiply or divide, and because of the "no child left behind" policy they just get pushed through the system. For these kids and their parents, the more advanced lessons are nothing more than a source of extreme frustration and stress. They teach it for the sole purpose of testing and evaluation for the school system for funding. They are not interested if they retain it after the testing or not. They spend maybe a maximum on 2-3 days on each lesson. How can they possibly be expected to permanently retain the lesson when they are speed-teaching? If they want to teach it in high school, that's fine. It makes more sense to do it then when there is a chance to be able to use it. There's not too many 12 year old construction engineers or ocean explorers.

I agree that budgeting, credit, insurance should be taught at home and I do. But based on how many millions of people go into hopeless debt and ones that don't understand what insurance coverage they have because the policy can only be understood by a lawyer, it wouldn't hurt to reinforce the lessons that are usually learned only after the damage is done. And this is information that can be used by everyone.

I always used a tape measure to see if my furniture will fit. You mean I've been screwing it up all this time??  :lol:  :shruggy:  :icon_smile_wink:

learical1

The pasword was: MickeyMinniePlutoHueyLouieDewe­yDonaldGoofySacramento

Because the policy states that it had to include at least 8 characters and a capital.

Fixed  :yesnod:
Bruce

RECHRGD

[/quote]Ok, I get that it's not completely useless, but for the average person it serves little purpose. And for the average 12-13 year old it is information that will not be retained long enough for them to use it in adult life. If he ends up being a construction engineer, architect or surveyor he will hopefully be taught this in college when it is relevant. My point is that they don't spend enough time teaching the basics that are the foundation for all the advanced lessons. There's many kids this age that still can't multiply or divide, and because of the "no child left behind" policy they just get pushed through the system. For these kids and their parents, the more advanced lessons are nothing more than a source of extreme frustration and stress. They teach it for the sole purpose of testing and evaluation for the school system for funding. They are not interested if they retain it after the testing or not. They spend maybe a maximum on 2-3 days on each lesson. How can they possibly be expected to permanently retain the lesson when they are speed-teaching? If they want to teach it in high school, that's fine. It makes more sense to do it then when there is a chance to be able to use it. There's not too many 12 year old construction engineers or ocean explorers.

I agree that budgeting, credit, insurance should be taught at home and I do. But based on how many millions of people go into hopeless debt and ones that don't understand what insurance coverage they have because the policy can only be understood by a lawyer, it wouldn't hurt to reinforce the lessons that are usually learned only after the damage is done. And this is information that can be used by everyone.

I always used a tape measure to see if my furniture will fit. You mean I've been screwing it up all this time??  :lol:  :shruggy:  :icon_smile_wink:
[/quote]

Well stated and spot on!!!
13.53 @ 105.32

mauve66

hey, my wife's job is giving out OUR money, i wonder if she quits would they stop giving it out??
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment