News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Brake lens

Started by Dino, January 06, 2012, 06:30:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

I was cleaning up the cluster today and noticed that the red brake lens was part shiny, part dull and the black lettering was starting to fade.  Since there's a decal for this I thought I'd clean it up and polish it.  A few minutes later I had a very nice shiny red lens and then I started to wonder if it's supposed to be flat like the other lenses.....

Can anyone shed some light on this?  Do I need to scuff it and take the shiine back off or is the clear decal with lettering dull so it doesn't matter?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Dino

Anyone?  Pretty please?

Just 6T9 CHGR

Should be flat/matte finish as far as I know... :Twocents:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

bill440rt

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on January 09, 2012, 09:16:36 PM
Should be flat/matte finish as far as I know... :Twocents:

I concur.
You could hit it with some satin clear. Stay away from lacquers or "hot" paints as they may eat the plastic. I believe Performance Car Graphics sells the BRAKE SYSTEM dry transfer decal.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bakerhillpins

I bet you would get a better matte finish by wet sanding with 600 grit or even using a #3 (coarse) polishing compound to dull it out rather than using a clear paint coating.  :Twocents:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Dino

Dang I did all that polishing for nothing.   :icon_smile_big:

I knew something was off when I could see the inside of the cluster housing through the lens really well.

Yeah I'll hit it with some sandpaper, I have a small kit ranging from 1000 to 12000 which is perfect for something like this.

Thanks guys.