News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

stiffer back suspension/shocks on a 69 charger... ?

Started by 69BlackBeast, December 19, 2011, 02:46:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69BlackBeast

hi there.
i've imported this 69 charger from california to spain, and i'm no mechanic, and a 69 charger is rare over here, so the local mechanics do not always know what to say...

my problem is that the back fenders are shredding the tires every time I hit a bump. now there are standard blades suspensions + shocks that can be lifted with air pressure from a valve back in the boot. but it is not sufficient. can I remove the blades all together and put in some stiffer racing shocks ? what shocks should I request (brand and specs please)...

see the car attached.

thansk for any advice on this please

petter,
barcelona, spain.

FLG

Air shocks will ruin your shock crossmember over time. The shock xmembr was not designed to support the car. Either get stiffer springs or get rims with the correct backspace to mve the tire closer to the inside or. Assuming your rim backspace is good get a tire that is a little less wide.

What's the current tire and rim specs?

Ps welcome to the forum

69BlackBeast

some more pics here

ChargerST

Get different rims with a different backspace - there is enough room to move the tire inward (about an inch would be fine). The rims that are on the car are cheap - replacement wheels should be easy to come by. Stiffer springs/shocks wouldn't help much because the tire is almost scratching on the fender when standing - even very stiff shocks would have enough travel to allow tire/fender contact.

Try the German Moparshop (moparshop.de -> Onlineshop -> Wheels&tires -> Diverse Wheels -> Aero Steele Race Wheels) for wheels - they should be able to ship to Spain.

69BlackBeast

thanks for the advice.
will check it out.

I deliberately went for the "cheap" rims to get that "no flashy" look...

btw,
the car was used in a video that completely ate up the tires: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMUf2qmSzvE

69BlackBeast

Troy

What size are the tires? You want a wheel with more offset than what you have (you have plenty of room to move toward the spring). On an 8" wide wheel you want 4.5" of backspacing to center the wheel in the wheelwell.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

69BlackBeast

see pics of front and back tires.
front tires say 26x10 and back tires 26x12

ChargerST

Check http://www.aeroracewheels.com/ for all available wheels. Unfortunately your link just goes to the main page of the online shop - don't know how to link a page from the shop.

You could write them an e-mail or call them - they speak English.

kokxville

1969 Charger R/T 4 speed A33 Track Pack.
1967 Dodge a108 360 Magnum. Daily driver
1969 Dodge Charger"the car you can take your kids in to school on a friday,go shopping on a saturday,dragrace on a sunday and go to work on monday"

rt green

third string oil changer

bull

Quote from: rt green on January 08, 2012, 01:28:53 PM
was that an old race track?

The first post on the youtube link says something about it being an old abandoned F1 track.

flyboyedwards

Very cool video!! What an awesome way to show a Charger "stretching its legs"!!! Cool song too!
You may want to look at the Wheel post that is in this forum, there is a LOT of good info there!