News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Which is better for body work?

Started by SmashingPunkFan, January 21, 2012, 11:01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmashingPunkFan

I'm almost 99% positive that the frame is straight, but there is always surprises. I have no idea what I could do to fix that if thats the case   :shruggy:

Definately think I'm getting a hobart when I can, and just gonna weld that tear up.

Thank you guys so much for the help!
Tonight I'm Burning Star IV.
Projects:
1970 Dodge Charger SE (Main Project)
1973 Dodge Charger 400 cid. (Work in progress)
1988 Mustang 2.3 liter 4 cyl.

Looking for Seat tracks for bucket seats.

Dino

Quote from: SmashingPunkFan on January 28, 2012, 09:32:34 AM
I'm almost 99% positive that the frame is straight, but there is always surprises. I have no idea what I could do to fix that if thats the case   :shruggy:

Definately think I'm getting a hobart when I can, and just gonna weld that tear up.

If the frame is bent then we'll walk you through how to fix it, don't worry.
Remove as much as you can, clean everything up so all damage is very easy to see, take pics and post them.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

furyrestored

i have a lincoln that i bought at lowes for around 400 bucks 8 years ago it runs on 110 and can use gas or flux cored but i would recomend using gas as it welds much better than the popping of flux cored wire,i also purchased a lotus welder that tigs and plasma cuts along with 200 amp stick welder for 700 bucks and i am amazed at how this machine works,my brother in law has been welding professionally for 40 years and i had him come and tig weld on it to show me how and he said it welds as nice as any machine he has used i love the plasma cutter and i dont know how i made it all these years without it it is a 50 amp adjustable plasma i have only stickwelded with it a few times but it works awsome,i think that eastwood buys there pieces from the same company and puts there name on them and jacks the price up

SmashingPunkFan

Quote from: Dino on January 28, 2012, 11:52:03 AM
Quote from: SmashingPunkFan on January 28, 2012, 09:32:34 AM

If the frame is bent then we'll walk you through how to fix it, don't worry.
Remove as much as you can, clean everything up so all damage is very easy to see, take pics and post them.

thanks guys, I will. I always come back to this forum first.
Projects:

flyboyedwards

I have a Miller Syncrowave 180, it is a tig and a stick welder. The Tig takes more time, as you have to "feed" the wire yourself. It works VERY well on thin materials, and is stable at 5 amps. I have welded thin aluminum for fuel cells, boats, aircraft fuel tanks, Chrome moly tubing,ect....
I haven't however used it on my 69 yet.
Just my  :Twocents:

SmashingPunkFan

Do they still make Marquette? just curious, I have one that needs a part or two, and I may be able to make some cash off it.
Projects:

AirborneSilva

I have a Hobart 125 Handler w/gas kit, it has done a great job for me so far  :2thumbs:

Listen do Dino about the frame, he'll get you straight (pun intended  :yesnod:)

SmashingPunkFan

Quote from: AirborneSilva on March 01, 2012, 03:58:58 PM
I have a Hobart 125 Handler w/gas kit, it has done a great job for me so far  :2thumbs:

Listen do Dino about the frame, he'll get you straight (pun intended  :yesnod:)

Any pictures you might be able to share? :cheers: Im also just curious how pretty of a weld can it leave
Projects:

AirborneSilva

SmashingPunkFan

I got a hobart 140. Now I need a shielding gas cylinder, and somewhere good to fill it at. then the practice shall begin :D

Im super excited about starting my project, and doing my own body work!
Projects:

Cooter

FWIW, that's the best little welder I ever used. Especially when you have it bottle fed. You will love it.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Charger_Dart

Quote from: Cooter on April 20, 2012, 11:39:08 AM
FWIW, that's the best little welder I ever used. Especially when you have it bottle fed. You will love it.

Agree, thats what I have. Good little unit.
68 Charger R/T & 68 Dart GT Convertible

SmashingPunkFan

Quote from: Charger_Dart on April 20, 2012, 11:46:14 AM
Quote from: Cooter on April 20, 2012, 11:39:08 AM

Agree, thats what I have. Good little unit.

Awesome. I heard lots of good things about hobart, and did not want to mess with ANYTHING harbor freight. I hope, very strong words here, HOPE to have my car driving before the end of this year. (fingers crossed) :)
Projects:

SmashingPunkFan

I will be starting my own body work thread when I start. Pictures, feedback, opinions all welcomed. Because I would love to have feedback on what Im doing, before I do it  :2thumbs:
Projects: