News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How many miles to the gallon?

Started by paul1966, January 23, 2006, 10:04:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

myk

Quote from: ChargerRob on January 23, 2006, 11:12:59 AM
I'm averaging 10 mpg with a 440, 4bbl and Auto.  :-\

Me too...Ah hell, it's cheaper than having kids...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

HDCharger

I agree, somethings wrong.  Even a big motorhome with a 440 gets 6-8mpg.
MSG, US Army, Retired
1973 Charger SE
1976 Stepside Powerwagon
2007 Ram 1500 Laramie
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
1967 Dodge Truck

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Ghoste

69_500

Is the real question how many miles to th gallon or how many gallons to the mile he is burning? Sounds to me like he is spending about $1.55 per mile in that car not including any other maintenace he will have along the way.

paul1966

Thanks for the replys.  Dang, I must have somthing really wrong.  If there is a gas leak will it be really noticeable?  Because I have never noticed any gas leaking from inder the car.  I was talking to abuddy of mine, and he asked me about the choke being stuck....I will check.  If it is not a leak, or the choke....is there anything else I should be looking for??

Thanks again
Paul

Steve P.

Your entire fuel system should be checked. Last time I saw this was a bad fuel pump. At idle it was fine. Above idle it would bleed and squirt right out of the pump onto the ground. The owner never saw it because he would idle in and out of his driveway and here in hot Florida the gas would evaporate quick and leave no trace when leaving his house. I just noticed how clean his pump was and how dirty everything else was....
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

MOPARHOUND!

71 Charger R/T, 496 stroker, A/C, P/S, Auto, 3.55 gears, with Large Comp 305H Cam, factory heads and factory HP exhaust manifolds, Holley carb/intake........

7mpg city,  10mpg highway

Switched to Eddy Heads, and TTI headers.........

6 mpg city,  11 mpg highway

Switched to next size smaller Comp 292H cam......

9 mpg city, moderate driving, haven't taken road trip yet to see what highway mileage will be.  Changing the cam has cut down on my gas station stops..............LOL.  Will have paid for itself shortly just in gas savings.
1971 Charger R/T, 440 H.P., Auto, A/C Daily Driven (till gas went nuts).  NOW IN CARS FOR SALE SECTION: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48709.0.html
1969 Charger 318/Auto (latest addtion): http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31948.0.html
*Speed costs money son, how fast do you want to go, and for how long?"
*"Build the biggest engine you can afford the first time."
*"We normally wouldn't use a 383 for this build, parts and labor for a 440 cost the same."

paul1966

Whew!  OK Guys my calculations were off.  I am getting 10 miles to the gallon.  Checked for leaks...and there were none. Anything I can do to get better than this?  Thanks again for all the replies.

Paul

Jon Smith

Paul G

Quote from: paul1966 on January 25, 2006, 03:12:41 PM
Whew!  OK Guys my calculations were off.  I am getting 10 miles to the gallon.  Checked for leaks...and there were none. Anything I can do to get better than this?  Thanks again for all the replies.

Paul

About the only thing I can think of is always drive downhill.  ;D Seriously though 10 MPG is why they don't make them like that anymore.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

Ghoste

Yep, you're right about where you should be.  It's time to quit thinking about miles per gallon and focus on fun per dollar now.

BBMoparFreak

HemiMk

check your fuel line to your fuel pump because one day i was getting terrible gas mileage and relized the clamp was loose and that the fuel was just shooting out the hose and evaporating away....good luck

HemiMk

Chryco Psycho

Tuning , try more timing with a shorter advance curve , get the carb tuned perfectly