News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New rear end

Started by 73ChargerSE, January 23, 2006, 07:30:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73ChargerSE

I bought an 8 3/4 rear at a junkyard for 100 bucks, Sure grip, 489.  I was planning on replacing my 8 1/4" in my Charger, but I measured the perches outside to outside and they are an inch short total on the 8 3/4".  I've already had it powder coated by my uncle, so is there a way other than relocating the spring perches to make it fit in my Charger?

74Charger

I don't believe there is any other way.  I myself am right in the middle of doing the same axle swap on my 74' Charger.  Did the removal this weekend with the friend in the pic.

I did not want to have to mess with the spring perches.  So I found a donor housing from a 72' Roadrunner with the same perch locations.  From what I understand though.  Its not a big deal to have the perches moved. Other than you would have to have it powder coated again.  By the way $100.00 for a complete rearend with a suregrip.  Is a good deal. :yesnod: I would find a way to make it work. Dont ask me what I am into mine. :o 
74' Charger
03' 2500 4x4 CTD

myk

That IS a good deal.  Is it in need of a rebuild? 
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

73ChargerSE

No, the rear end does not need a rebuild.  The thing is as tight as can be and the gears are VERY clean. There is a very very light coating of rust on the ring gear, but i'm sure that will come off after use.  The only thing is, that it is the cone type Sure-Grip.  I painted the 3rd member to what my auto teacher called "show quality".  My uncle did me a favor by painting it, so I hate to ask him to paint it again.

John_Kunkel

The '73 B body perches are  47.3" apart, the E and C body perches are 46" apart.

You might be able to find offset rear spring shackles that would bring the springs in to 46" or close to it.

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.