News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How did your mopar stand up against other muscle cars?

Started by MoparMotel, February 18, 2012, 03:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoparMotel

Something I was curios about, for the people that have done some racing against other muscle cars which ones gave you a good run for your money? I thought it would be cool to share some stories of which cars other than our mopars were fast.

My dad had a car that was very quick- 1968 Corvette 427 4 speed with 4.11 gears. Very quick but topped out at about 115 because of the tall gearing.

Another car that was very quick was a  '70 Chevelle SS 454 LS6 4 speed that was owned by a friend of a friend.

Which car gave your 383/440/hemi a good run?
1968 Dodge Charger

TheGhost

Had a 65 Buick with a (I think) 255 engine give my 273 powered 67 barracuda a good run...
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

Slowpoke

Back in 81 and 82 when i had a built 413 in my 68 R/T the only cars i lost to in my area was a 68 Camero with a 427 and a 4 speed,
( I knew I would lose to him but put up the 50 bucks just to see how fast he was). The other car was a 1978 Trans Am that i let a buddy borrow my car to race. The
T/A was stock, how he lost the race I couldn't understand until I got in the Charger to leave and it barely ran, he had fouled the plugs somehow.
That's my losing race stories, but if you ask me now I never raced on the street.  :eyes:
68 R/T LL1
under restoration for the last 25 years

MoparMotel

A buddy of mine has a '69 Chevelle SS396 4 speed... We've always talked about running em but never have... Wonder how my 383 will do
1968 Dodge Charger

vancamp

back in high school the only thing that beat my 69 road runner in a street race ::) was a 66-7 ford fairlane black and very fast he passed me at 90 mph like i was dragging a boat anchor I backed out at 115, never got to find out what he had under the hood.

Chryco Psycho

well my 440 Duster was never challenged on the street , it simply out pulled anything , I was doing 60' in the 1.40s though & had traction bikes or cars , nothing out pulled it . On the track I lost , but we were running brakets so closet to the dial in was the game . won a lot lost a few even to slower cars .
I ran my 340 Cuda against a Judge ram air 3 & put a few truck lengths on it .
One night I ran a 69 stang 3 times , he had a worked 351 clevland , roller cammed etc , I had a smog $250 / 400 in a Dart with one cyl making 40 psi on a compression test , we were even LOL neither of us could pull away .
I had a 73 340 Chall for a while , I raced a built 71 stang , I had ladderbars & put a few car lenghts on him off the line , it took until 1/2 track for him to catch back up , I was heavier & way under powered but still showed him the taillights for a while !!
I also ran a 74 cuda with a built 360 against my bone stock 440 chall , I was able to pull away above 80 MPH