News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Clacking lifters

Started by Paul G, March 18, 2012, 10:07:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

404NOTFOUND

I generally agree but, a bigger tear down is not in the works right now. I can see and feel the cam and I think it's fine. I've been running 46 year old, stamped rockers and push rods on a high lift cam and more recently, stiffer valve springs at high rpms. Clearly, roller rockers and pushrods were my next move and if something else fails, I will still need those parts anyway. There has never been a any sign of trouble deeper in the engine. In this case, it's worth it for me to continue. I'm not dealing with a numbers matching engine or expensive hemi. Being a long time drag racer, I don't feel defeated when I blow major parts. I see it as an opportunity to learn more as I repair the problem. I should be up and running later today. I will post the results. Thanks.
My 1969 Charger. RIP......Rest in pieces.

firefighter3931

Quote from: 404NOTFOUND on March 31, 2012, 05:29:54 AM
I don't feel defeated when I blow major parts. I see it as an opportunity to learn more as I repair the problem. I should be up and running later today. I will post the results. Thanks.

Good luck. Lets hope yours doesn't end up like this one !  :o

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Challenger340

Good Luck with your repairs.....

No offense intended...
and,
Seeing as how nobody minds "blowing parts" ? or further damages incurred as a result of furthe teardown "not in the cards right now" ?

Can we have a "longevity" pool for those of us that have seen this a hundred times before, with the same result ?

I'm all in .....at within 20 miles before whatever Cam Lobe was running that Lifter begins "clacking" again
Only wimps wear Bowties !

404NOTFOUND

Quote from: Challenger340 on March 31, 2012, 12:03:40 PM

No offense intended...
and,
Seeing as how nobody minds "blowing parts" ? or further damages incurred as a result of furthe teardown "not in the cards right now" ?

Can we have a "longevity" pool for those of us that have seen this a hundred times before, with the same result ?

I'm all in .....at within 20 miles before whatever Cam Lobe was running that Lifter begins "clacking" again

1970Moparmann

My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

404NOTFOUND

Quote from: 404NOTFOUND on March 31, 2012, 06:37:52 PM
Quote from: Challenger340 on March 31, 2012, 12:03:40 PM

No offense intended...
and,

Wow, that pic above is the worst destruction I've seen. I'm sure he had bigger problems than me though. Yes, that lifter could fail again but, it is a problem that is easily detected especially because the rest of the once noisy valvetrain should now be rather quiet. I just got back from Mancini Racing in Michigan with new Harland Sharps roller rockers and chrome moly push rods. No matter what happens, I'm gonna need em anyway. I will probably be testing tommorrow after the rain stops. Place your bets.

Paul G

I think my problem is solved. New lifters are in. Rocker adjuster bolts taken care of. Set preload to zero plus 3/4 turn more using the EO-IC method. Tried 1/2 turn the first time and they still ticked a bit. Drove around today and all is well. We will see if I still get a lot of "clacking" at cold start like before. So far no oil leaks either. 

On a side note, could the lifters be fished out of the engine through the head without pulling the intake? I noticed the holes in the heads looked almost big enough to get a lifter through. Curiously, I put a magnet on a lifter and it came up out of the bore, then I decided to stop before I make more work for myself like having to pull the intake off again to get a lifter back in the bore.

Thanks guys!
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

471_Magnum

Quote from: Paul G on March 31, 2012, 07:06:43 PMOn a side note, could the lifters be fished out of the engine through the head without pulling the intake? I noticed the holes in the heads looked almost big enough to get a lifter through.

There is a tool out there for doing this. I've got one. Never tried it on a Mopar though, so I'm not sure if the lifter will fit through the head.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

heal0048

Quote from: 404NOTFOUND on March 20, 2012, 08:11:01 PM
One of my lifters just went. The lifter was worn concave and had a hole in it. Has anyone ever seen this before?

I would definitely check the lifter bore for damage and make sure the new lifter rotates.  You should not put break-in lube on the sides of lifters... only the bottom.  I would also prime the oiling system while checking the flow to that lifter.  Good luck!

1BAD68

Quote from: Paul G on March 31, 2012, 07:06:43 PM
On a side note, could the lifters be fished out of the engine through the head without pulling the intake?

Technically yes, I have the tool and swapped lifter's in a Dodge van with a 318 years ago. It was a pain but can be done.

Chryco Psycho

Quote from: Paul G on March 31, 2012, 07:06:43 PM

On a side note, could the lifters be fished out of the engine through the head without pulling the intake? I noticed the holes in the heads looked almost big enough to get a lifter through. Curiously, I put a magnet on a lifter and it came up out of the bore, then I decided to stop before I make more work for myself like having to pull the intake off again to get a lifter back in the bore.

Thanks guys!
Absolutley , I have often done this , a good strong magnet & a long screwdriver & you can pull all the lifters & replace them through the head .

Budnicks

Quote from: firefighter3931 on March 31, 2012, 10:37:03 AM
Quote from: 404NOTFOUND on March 31, 2012, 05:29:54 AM
I don't feel defeated when I blow major parts. I see it as an opportunity to learn more as I repair the problem. I should be up and running later today. I will post the results. Thanks.

Good luck. Lets hope yours doesn't end up like this one !  :o

Ron
DAMN Now that's is some carnage
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

404NOTFOUND

Problem solved!!! The car is running perfectly. Just like Paul G., I did a half turn on the adjustment and still had a bit of noise. I went home and whipped of the valve covers right away and did a quarter turn more. The engine is perfectly quiet now and runs great. The rockers are 1.6 ratio meaning I now have .543 lift and 292 duration. It seems to be making more power now but, the roads were only 80% dry so I couldn't test it for the full effect. The problem was a severely beaten rocker arm. I never thought the stock rockers were much good but now, I realize what supreme junk they are. They may be good enough to send a New Yorker or motorhome down the road but have no place in a performance engine.

Paul G

Well the ticking was still there with 3/4 turn preload. Called Topline yesterday and talked to a guy name Dave. Dave said to readjust them back to 1/4 turn. He asked what cam and springs I was using. I don't know. He said that if I have a high lift cam and stiff springs, that could be causing the ticking. He suggested I try 1/4 turn and see what happens. So readjusted them to 1/4 turn. I took the car out to cruise night last night and it seems like the ticking is mostly gone. Still hard to tell, header ting is hard to differentiate from lifter tick.  :eek2:

I will say though with the new lifters the engine idles smoother and feels better when cruising. Although it runs better with a fresh shine too.  ;)
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

firefighter3931

Quote from: Paul G on April 07, 2012, 09:19:36 AM

I will say though with the new lifters the engine idles smoother and feels better when cruising.

Mission accomplished...nice work !  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs