News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

K member skid plate

Started by lilwendal, January 24, 2006, 10:13:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lilwendal

I think I have a problem.  Ever since the big auction I sit up at night and think about a hemi in my charger. It looks like the only way I'm going to get any sleep is to break down and do it. Anyone have pictures and dimensions for the skid plate on the hemi K members?  68 and 69 charger.  I know there nothing complicated and easy to fabricate I just need the actual metal thickness, measurements, And weld points.  Thanks guys

69fuchs

I don't have the specs on the plate, but they are available for under 100 dollars.  Megaparts offers a very nice reproduction for early and late style.

www.megapartsusa.com  Jamie-608 452 2045

Troy

You can also buy just the plate from these guys:
http://www.widnerindustries.com/product.htm

Megaparts can convert your entire k-frame into a hemi one. I've been told that if you use the later oil pan there's no need for the skidplate except for looks. My advice is to try pricing all the other parts before you worry about the skid plate. :D

Hemigeno and 8WHEELER sent me these:

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

8WHEELER

The K-Frame in the middle picture above on the cart is my spare K-Frame. I have one just like it on my red 68.
It is not rounded like the original, but those are hard to find, and if you find one open the wallet big time.
You can run the Hemi pan and it will not hang down anymore than a stock 440 pan, they are just longer.

I only put that style Skid plate K-Frame because I was taking mine out, and got a deal on it
to show people at car shows what my friend was making at the time.

This is an original 70 K-Frame that is very similar, you can see its not as strong as an aftermarket
piece like mine, plus his oil pan has 4in drop welded into it.

And another shot of the after market K-Frame on my car now.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

hemigeno

Troy is right - if you run the '70-'71 style Hemi pan (the only style currently being reproduced), you do not necessarily need the skid plate except for looks.  The shot of my car shows how the skid plate is actually 1"+ lower than the oil pan, but that's because it's the repro pan.  I have not invested in a '66-'69 oil pan - last one I saw went for $1,200.  If it had the original/correct pan, the skid plate would definitely be needed.

Unless you're going to flip out over details, don't worry about the skid plate.  The same people that will know a Hemicar should have a skid plate will also know how to decode a VIN too.

:Twocents:

Troy

Quote from: 8WHEELER on January 25, 2006, 04:31:46 AM
The K-Frame in the middle picture above on the cart is my spare K-Frame.

Dan
Sorry! I forgot to change the name on the pic and I didn't see your email when I was looking for the pics. I updated my post... :D

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.