News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What headers actually fit a 69 charger with a 440?

Started by professor-patrick, January 24, 2006, 01:04:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

professor-patrick

Has anyone found a really good set of headers that fit and don't hit anything when the engine torques over?  If so, what brand? 
Dr. Patrick Hagerman
Lead Designer - Scotlea Hot Rods
www.scotlea.com

Jon Smith

professor-patrick

I've heard that, but I've also heard of problems with them.  Anyone else support TTI?
Dr. Patrick Hagerman
Lead Designer - Scotlea Hot Rods
www.scotlea.com

skip68

I've heard that the stock 440HP are good and don't have the issues that come with headers,like over heating the starter and leaks. I'm going with stock because my mechanic said I wouldn't notice the power difference and it wouldn't be worth it.  But that's just my opinion and I know you are not looking for opinions just info. But that is some info you may not have so I thought I'd shoot out my 2cents :Twocents: :shruggy: Good luck,    Brother Skip out......................................
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Jon Smith

Schumacher do some that are supposed to fit easily as well, but I have no experience of them

MOPARHOUND!

Doug Thorleys have a decent reputation.

My TTI's fit great, no problem, but were $750.00.

A guy that works at Summits comments on Doug Thorley, compared to other brands, real life experiences:

http://www.moparts.com/Tech/Archive/bb/60.html

General thread on Moparts:

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=QuestionAnswer&Number=2329697&Searchpage=1&Main=2326258&Words=%26quot%3Bdoug+thorley%26quot%3B&topic=&Search=true#Post2329697

1971 Charger R/T, 440 H.P., Auto, A/C Daily Driven (till gas went nuts).  NOW IN CARS FOR SALE SECTION: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48709.0.html
1969 Charger 318/Auto (latest addtion): http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31948.0.html
*Speed costs money son, how fast do you want to go, and for how long?"
*"Build the biggest engine you can afford the first time."
*"We normally wouldn't use a 383 for this build, parts and labor for a 440 cost the same."

69chargeryeehaa

i got a 69 440 charger, running headmann hedders no issues with clearance, does'nt hit when the motor tourques, a bit tight in some spots, but it's managable. :icon_smile_big:

Runner

Quote from: skip68 on January 24, 2006, 02:15:56 PM
I'm going with stock because my mechanic said I wouldn't notice the power difference and it wouldn't be worth it. 

"worth it " really depends on the person and what they are looking for, however your mechanic is wrong, you will notice the differance between manifolds and headers.   

i have headman and hookers on my low decks and both fit with no real issues to speak of. but they are low blocks so there is a differance.  good luck in whatever you buy!

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

deputycrawford

I did notice a difference when I put my headers on. They are Dynomax Ceramic Coated headers and fit fine. They look like they have enough room for a 440 and are only $260 or so. I like the performance and would buy another set.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

69fuchs

tti headers fit very well.  If you get a set, and they don't fit, it is a quality control issue with that set of headers.  I put a set on a 440 in a 68 charger, and they fit perfectly.  The price tag is the main drawback.  The quality control issues have been discussed on moparts, but I think (hope) that the problems are rare.

BigBlockSam

i've got hooker headers on my 68, they fit great  $175. summit cat.
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

myk

It's strange how some people have no issues at all, while others couldn't fit the headers on if the engine if it was in a cradle and not in a car...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Ghoste

Yep, I've used Hedman several times and never had any problems but I seem to be one of the very few who say that about them.

Rolling_Thunder

I have Hooker Super Comps on my 383 and they would actually fit better on a 440...     We have used TTIs and Hookers at the shop on 440 cars...    I have to say TTis are GREAT but i personally couldnt justify the extra $$$ when hookers fit ALMOST as well
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Runner

Quote from: myk on January 25, 2006, 05:20:31 AM
It's strange how some people have no issues at all, while others couldn't fit the headers on if the engine if it was in a cradle and not in a car...

you know, ive wondered about this myself. i think there are several factors involved.   i think some times people expect headers to be easier so when they do them they are in over there head. doing the starter, or plugs, or putting them in dont really bother me much.

honestly, we as mopar people are pretty lucky with header fitment, i worked on cars that were way harder to deal with the headers, like a 74 nova with a 454 and 2 " hookers with power steering.  the passenger side header isnt bad but the drivers side is a real pain!!.

ghoste, i agree, ive had no issuse with fitment of headman headers on my big blocks but sitting one next to a hooker and the quality differance is very noticable.   my headmans fit my e heads much better the the hookers do now. but for some reason i couldnt get this paticular set of headmans to seal up.  all the rest of mine are fine though   go figure...

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

Ghoste

Quality is a different issue when you get into flange thickness and so forth.  It's funny, I ran Hookers once many years ago and they were a fantastic header, but I couldn't justify the cost to use them more than that one time.  It seems today not much has changed except now it's TTI versus the rest (even Hooker).
I know what you mean about us having underhood room too.  I watch my Ford friends with their 428 Cobra Jets and just cringe.  Especially the couple of guys who have them in those little tiny Mustang go-karts.

BigBlockSam

i see the tti set ups and there out standing, look great , sound great. i just can't go for that much money. i believe you get what you pay for but i've had good luck with hooker comps. if you buy them from jet coat they have the ceramic coating and are only $340 delivered. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

rt green

use your head. if your engine torques over that far{that great 440 power!!!} put on a tourgue strap. then, you can run what ever you choose for headers.    bruce
third string oil changer

BigBlockSam