News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Amazing this happened, my wife could of been killed.

Started by 1969chargerrtse, March 24, 2012, 06:31:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

We have a rental 2011 Nissan pathfinder.  My wife told me the car was vibrating on her way home from her job about 15 Min's away.  I took it for a ride and sure enough it was shaking.  I pulled over and checked the tires and lugs and couldn't find anything wrong.  I put it in gear and moved forward.  Bang clunk bang bang.  The drive shaft fell off!  :o  She has a 7 hour trip for a Cheerleading competiton soon and is going with 3 others.  I told her if that shaft dropped while she was flying down a highway it could grab a lip in the road and flip the car over or come right through the floor.  Someone forget to tighten the bolts or what?
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

b5blue

:o   U-Joint looks new? Had it been replaced? Thank the Lord!

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: b5blue on March 24, 2012, 06:48:19 PM
They look new because it's a new car.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Fred

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Rolling_Thunder

1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Fred

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on March 24, 2012, 07:11:52 PM
That's a bad day for sure

No..............it was a good day.................no one was hurt.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

b5blue

So much for Japan's infallible Q.C. process! Very Lucky!  :2thumbs:

1969chargerrtse

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: b5blue on March 24, 2012, 07:29:28 PM
So much for Japan's infallible Q.C. process! Very Lucky!  :2thumbs:
Gotta tell ya.  Not inpressed with the car/truck.  Loud and engine noise compared to our Honda Pilot.

Bobs69

Yeah yeah the car that's too bad....... You said something about a cheerleader contest!? 

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Bobs69 on March 24, 2012, 11:02:40 PM
Yeah yeah the car that's too bad....... You said something about a cheerleader contest!?  
Ha,  that's funny.   :hah:  Yep, my daughter has a passion for it and I'm so proud of her.

resq302

Seeing that one bolt in there still, Im almost wondering if the threads where stripped.  Id definitely have it brought attention to Nissan or at least the rental car company as they gave you an unsafe vehicle.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

c00nhunterjoe

Out of curiousity, what cheerleading competition? My daughter is at one this weekend by myrtle beach.

rt green

looks like they forgot the locktight thats usally on those
third string oil changer

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on March 25, 2012, 08:08:00 AM
Out of curiousity, what cheerleading competition? My daughter is at one this weekend by myrtle beach.
I'll Pm.  They won 1st place last week.  Watch out.  :icon_smile_wink:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: resq302 on March 25, 2012, 08:04:18 AM
Seeing that one bolt in there still, Im almost wondering if the threads where stripped.  Id definitely have it brought attention to Nissan or at least the rental car company as they gave you an unsafe vehicle.
The rental place knows as they had someone flat bed it away, to a garage.  The garage guy couldn't believe it.  I emailed the National Highway Safety assy to put the info out there in case it's a common problem.

1970Moparmann

That's crazy.   You can look on Ralph Nadars website and see if this is a common issue. 
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Ghoste

I can't imagine a Ralph Nader site being too reliable.

1969chargerrtse

Every time I hear his name it reminds me of the restored 69 Corvair conv I was behind one day, and the plate said " NADER "

Bobs69

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on March 25, 2012, 08:37:34 AM
Quote from: resq302 on March 25, 2012, 08:04:18 AM
The rental place knows as they had someone flat bed it away, to a garage.  The garage guy couldn't believe it.  I emailed the National Highway Safety assy to put the info out there in case it's a common problem.

If anyone else rents that vehicle and has problems then their lawyers could possibly dig up that dirst and put the blame where it belongs.  Possibly?

resq302

You said the rental place knows.  Did this happen before?  Or was it that they know now because you told them about it.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

TUFCAT

I'd be so pissed! ...that rental company better be kissing you ass right about now! (and throwing some free coupons your way)!  :D

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: resq302 on March 25, 2012, 03:06:33 PM
You said the rental place knows.  Did this happen before?  Or was it that they know now because you told them about it.
They know now because I told them their car is stuck at............  They just called a garage and the garage is stunned also but fixing it.  Of course stupid questions are asked, like did you hit something?  Yeah 4 bolts fell off because even though there's no damage, we hit something.  ::)

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: TUFCAT on March 25, 2012, 03:08:46 PM
I'd be so pissed! ...that rental company better be kissing you ass right about now! (and throwing some free coupons your way)!  :D
The girl behind the desk has no clue, that's why I emailed NHTSA.  Of course I haven't heard from them, but I did the best I could.  Maybe I'll email Nissan?

Bobs69

Yeah email Nissan but do it by forwarding, and adding to the email you sent NHTSA, and why not send a copy to yourself and the rental place so everyone knows you are tracking it.

69rtse4spd

Glad no one was hurt, make sure the rental company does not try to blame you for a quality issue. I see another recall coming up.

1970Moparmann

Quote from: Ghoste on March 25, 2012, 10:42:33 AM

When I had a major issue with my Dodge Dakota, a lawyer advised to write up a report on Naders website, so I did.   I was floored on how many reports there was for the same thing.   People were getting killed by the airbag issue that Dodge wouldn't do crap about back in 2000.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on March 25, 2012, 09:09:04 PM
Quote from: Ghoste on March 25, 2012, 10:42:33 AM

When I had a major issue with my Dodge Dakota, a lawyer advised to write up a report on Naders website, so I did.   I was floored on how many reports there was for the same thing.   People were getting killed by the airbag issue that Dodge wouldn't do crap about back in 2000.

Hmmm.  Nader again, O.k maybe I'll go that route?  I did write Nissan also.

Cooter

Hate to say this, but how do you guys know this wasn't just at "Johnboy's and Billybob's" Garage for trans/rearend work and was left loose? You are assuming it's a Nissan quality control issue. You may never know what actually happened here. Looks to me like someone has been into that driveshaft. Good luck even attempting to find out who.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

bill440rt

Glad to see no one was seriously injured, Rob.

I agree, though. Check out that last remaining bolt in the pic you posted. Looks like there MAY have been an impact socket on it judging by the corners on the bolt.  :scope:
If there was ANY previous maintenance work on it, the rental company would have records of it.
Good luck to you.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

1970Moparmann

Quote from: bill440rt on March 26, 2012, 07:04:00 AM

If there was ANY previous maintenance work on it, the rental company would have records of it.
Good luck to you.

It should show up on a Car Fax report also.

Tilar

Quote from: Cooter on March 26, 2012, 06:43:30 AM
Hate to say this, but how do you guys know this wasn't just at "Johnboy's and Billybob's" Garage for trans/rearend work and was left loose? You are assuming it's a Nissan quality control issue.

You must have missed this one on the first page...

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on March 24, 2012, 06:49:00 PM
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

bill440rt

Quote from: Tilar on March 26, 2012, 07:20:50 AM
Quote from: Cooter on March 26, 2012, 06:43:30 AM
Hate to say this, but how do you guys know this wasn't just at "Johnboy's and Billybob's" Garage for trans/rearend work and was left loose? You are assuming it's a Nissan quality control issue.

You must have missed this one on the first page...

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on March 24, 2012, 06:49:00 PM

That may or may not matter.
I was at a GM dealer the other day. They had construction going on, and one of their cars sitting on the lot was damaged. Pretty badly I might add.
You guessed it, fixed & put back on the lot.  :rotz:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

resq302

Thinking about something I remembered that my drive shaft on my F150 is held in by the 12 point bolts, not the 6 point bolts shown in the pic.  I wonder if Nissan uses 6 points or 12 point bolts.  If so, thats a sure sign that someone had messed with it!
Brian

1969chargerrtse

I'd bet that nothing's been touched from being new. The bolt was slapped around that why it looks rounded or used with a gun.