News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Aligment camber issue. Update

Started by 1969chargerrtse, March 25, 2012, 06:59:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

no318

The disc brakes are different from 68-69 vs. 70.  68-9 were 4 piston calipers and had different pads.  70 and up had the more common style (like the a body swap). I don't know about whether the spindles are different or not. 

I agree that the lower bushings worn can amplify/cause the problem you have.  Some shops use the offset uppers as a problem solver, but, I'd be suspicous of the lowers.  They ususally aren't the first thing someone changes.  They are not near as easy as the uppers to get to and can't really be seen once installed anyway.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: no318 on March 31, 2012, 04:29:15 PM
The disc brakes are different from 68-69 vs. 70.  68-9 were 4 piston calipers and had different pads.  70 and up had the more common style (like the a body swap). I don't know about whether the spindles are different or not. 

I agree that the lower bushings worn can amplify/cause the problem you have.  Some shops use the offset uppers as a problem solver, but, I'd be suspicous of the lowers.  They ususally aren't the first thing someone changes.  They are not near as easy as the uppers to get to and can't really be seen once installed anyway.
It's the spindles I'm wondering about.  I have the 70 single piston caliper so I want to see what 69 and 70 spindles looks like.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

charger Downunder

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on March 31, 2012, 07:19:45 AM
I'm pretty sure I have incorrect spindles.  Here's a picture of mine, and I think of a 69 or 70.  They are not even close.   Mine goes straight up where as the other has a wave. Anyone have any 69/70 spindle shots for me to compare?  I can almost see how mine would lean the tire outward at top.
Or any 70 spindles for sale?  :icon_smile_big:

Is it possible you have the spindles mounted on the wrong side my 70 has the brake calipers on the front in your pics i cant see them at all looks like they are rear mounted or may bee 69 are different. ?
[/quote]

1969chargerrtse

Yes they are in the rear. Wow 70 had them in the front?  Its the way the car came when I got it 6 years ago.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

383_68charger

I just got done installing spindles off a 84 diplomat on to my 68 charger.I had to put the calipers on the back because on the front the caliper will hit the spot where the sway bar mounts to the lower control arm.I didn't have the sway bar on but I could clearly tell if it was on the caliper would hit the link too and not just touch it a little

1969chargerrtse

I just took a look in my service book and in 69 the Calipers are in the rear. 

b5blue

In 70 the swaybar mounts were moved inwards and the swabar mounting and shape were changed.  :2thumbs:

383_68charger

I should be good with my calipers facing back then?68 charger

383_68charger

These are spindles off a diplomat.

gtx6970

1969 - 4 piston bendix disc brakes on B-bodies were rear mounted

1970 - single  piston Kelsey Hays calipers were front mounted.

Chryco Psycho

the caliper position doesn't matter as long as it clears the sway bar etc while turning & as long as it doesn't pinch or stretch the hose while turning

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: gtx6970 on April 01, 2012, 10:51:10 AM
1969 - 4 piston bendix disc brakes on B-bodies were rear mounted

1970 - single  piston Kelsey Hays calipers were front mounted.

Wow. I have a single mounted rear caliper.  Sure wish someone could tell me what I have?

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 383_68charger on April 01, 2012, 10:20:33 AM
Kinda looks like mine. Gotta funny feeling mine are similar?
I'm pretty sure that this car had original disk and they were removed. Then a style like the Diplomate was added years later. I think this car was raced and parts taken off of it from what I've been seeing since I owned it. The brake lines on the frame etc look old and original for front disk.

1969chargerrtse

Grabbed these two pictures today.  Top picture is a drum 68 and the lower picture a drum 69.  They both have the curvy spindles.  Gotta find a 70 next to see if it looks like mine.

1969chargerrtse

No positive camber issue with your car?

HPP

I'm pretty sure I have incorrect spindles.  Here's a picture of mine, and I think of a 69 or 70.  They are not even close.   Mine goes straight up where as the other has a wave. Anyone have any 69/70 spindle shots for me to compare?  I can almost see how mine would lean the tire outward at top.

While they appear different, they both have spindle axis inclination, SAI, built in to them. The curves and shape of the spindle are not a direct impact on this. IIR, I believe the 68-76 era spindles are 5 to 5.5 SAI. The later Diplomat, or FJM bodied spindles, I think have a 6-7 degree SAI, plus a taller height.

You might need to brush off the parts and search around for and write down the particular casting number on each part to definitively say what they are. I still don't think spindles are your issue.

383_68charger

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on April 02, 2012, 06:59:28 AM
No positive camber issue with your car?
I can't really say for sure if I do or not.I just got them on the car and just eyed it up,It looks good right now but I'll know for sure once I get it on the line up machine and start playing with the caster and camber.I should know in a few weeks I hope.I want to get brakes on it before I drive it up on the ramp.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: HPP on April 02, 2012, 10:29:51 AM

While they appear different, they both have spindle axis inclination, SAI, built in to them. The curves and shape of the spindle are not a direct impact on this. IIR, I believe the 68-76 era spindles are 5 to 5.5 SAI. The later Diplomat, or FJM bodied spindles, I think have a 6-7 degree SAI, plus a taller height.

You might need to brush off the parts and search around for and write down the particular casting number on each part to definitively say what they are. I still don't think spindles are your issue.
Interesting. Man you know your stuff. I guess I'll man up and make an appointment.

HPP

Thanks, just trying to help out. It is always a tough thing to do this type of analysis over the internet, but with the casting numbers I'm sure some of us here can figure out what exactly you have on there.

gtx6970

1969 B-body bendix disc brake spindle and caliper assy

gtx6970

1969 B-body DRUM brake spindles

1969chargerrtse

Interesting. Drum have that curvy spindle and disk does not. Now if we could get a 70 disk brake spindle we'll have all 2nd gen types. Thanks very much!

Tom Q

I have read the posts, looked at the pics
Pay attention here-it is not the spindles
Hello is there any one paying attention??
Stop over analyzing and speculating

If you want some help please read and respond to the following:
The "ride height" appears to be set to high
Post a pic from the side
How much distance between the lca bumper and the frame rail??
Post a pic

How tall are those tires? They look really tall, too tall.
How tall are they? Measure the rolling circumference and do the math

I think the car is too high in the T bar adjustment.

I don't understand why stock ride height is so important, rather the car should be set to where the tire is centered in the wheel well. [Martin book on handling] BTW too many charger people put tires that wayyyy to big for the car.  26-27 inch tall tire that's it!  Bigger is not always better.

One more suggestion-do not ever put the jack under the center of the k frame and pick up the car-I don't care what others will say. "I have been doing this for years etc etc"  That's just some more bad [yes it's free] advice from the internet.

Remember I have not a clue with these chargers...just kidding

1969chargerrtse

The ride height is obviously way to low. The tire is up in the fender. The tires are standard 15" size nothing large in height. And it appears the spindles are not correct 69 spindles so that's why I'm asking about spindle changes and the effect they could have?
Why not pick up from the center of the K frame?
Love your picture. Cool shot.

b5blue

Unless you unload the T Bars quite a bit you over torque the LCA bushings and start tearing the lower bushings rubber as the LCA twists down. (The bushings don't rotate, they flex up and down.)