News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ethanol carburetor

Started by Highbanked Hauler, April 09, 2012, 12:44:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highbanked Hauler

Is it much of a job to set up a carburetor  to run on ethanol ??
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Budnicks

I would suggest you contact Quickfuels Technology or Promax Carburetors, they have a very good description & cure for the problems associated with them... or even Holley.... Ethanol requires larger passages, better flowing Metering Blocks &/or Plates, different air bleeds, larger jets, no rubber &/or non-anodized aluminum in the system, larger accel. pumps, cams & discharge nozzles amongst other improvements... for every % of Ethanol or any alcohol product, you will need 170% more volume of fuel flow & delivery...
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

mhinders

Martin
Dodge Charger 1967, 512 cui, E85, MegaSquirt MS3X sequential ignition and injection

Highbanked Hauler

Thanks, that is good information as I am ignorant  about alcohol fuel performance.. A few years ago son and I took the Challenger for  a rocket ride out to the west coast and we got a couple of tanks of E85 in the mid west and maybe it was my imagination but the car seemed to run "smoother".
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Budnicks

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on April 10, 2012, 02:35:01 PM
Thanks, that is good information as I am ignorant  about alcohol fuel performance.. A few years ago son and I took the Challenger for  a rocket ride out to the west coast and we got a couple of tanks of E85 in the mid west and maybe it was my imagination but the car seemed to run "smoother".
It probably leaned it out some {I always remember the saying "lean is mean", until she blows} & it has a higher octane count too, but it also has corrosive properties also, you will need to add a top cylinder lubricant, like Lucas fuel treatment or Stabil &/or some type of water separator/rust prohibitive additive, because of condensation from the alcohol content...

mhinders

There is a lot of myths circulating regarding E85 in older engines and fuel systems...most of it seems to be just that...myths.

http://www.raceone85.com/
Martin
Dodge Charger 1967, 512 cui, E85, MegaSquirt MS3X sequential ignition and injection

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: mhinders on April 11, 2012, 03:32:57 AM
There is a lot of myths circulating regarding E85 in older engines and fuel systems...most of it seems to be just that...myths.

http://www.raceone85.com/

So according to the question and answer you don't have to replace "rubber" hoses. Would that be the same for the fuel pump also ?
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Budnicks

The stuff I mentioned isn't a myth when you get hoses rotting from the inside out, rubber o-rings rotting away & get white crystal forming on aluminum.... I'm just saying, believe what ever you want... Allot of the new rubber products aren't really pure rubber any longer either... Happy Moparing

Highbanked Hauler

Point taken, when I get into something I am not familiar with I first ask and then use caution.  From one of those links I did learn there is quite a difference between  Ethanol and  Methanol which is really rude corrosion wise.  I am a long ways off of driving this thing anyway. This 440 is supposed to have 12-1 compression which I question as I have the timing 12 advanced and when I floor it there is no pinging or hammering from it with 92 in it. :shruggy:
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Budnicks

Yes Methanol is far more corrosive, but all alcohols are to some degree & Methanol {wood grain alcohol/racing fuels} is a different subject all together, it has some serious power benefits also, when tuned & maintained properly...