News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rare blue and white interior Superbird

Started by rob-dirt, February 11, 2014, 12:03:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rob-dirt

Saw This For Sale On Moparts  interesting  :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:

1970 Plymouth Superbird for sale. This car is a 1 of 1 and has been certified by Galen Govier. It is a 440, four barrel, automatic with console shift, B5 blue exterior. What makes this car so rare is that it has a blue and white interior. There is a build sheet, fender tag is a new one made by Galen according to the build sheet info. This is a project car that is currently on a rotisserie. Some parts are new or have been restored. I will try to give a good overview of where the project is at.

Engine: Not the original one to the car but has the correct date code (7/69). Looks stock appearing from the outside but has been stroked to 496 cubic inches and dynoed at 497hp and 600 lb ft torque. All dyno sheets and paper work of build are with the engine. Exhaust manifolds have been ceramic coated, Edelbrock carb, mopar performance electronic ignition and new distributor, air cleaner has been restored.

Transmission: Original to car and numbers matching. Has been rebuilt and has new converter, speedo cable, trans mount.

Front Suspension/spindles/brakes have all been rebuilt/refurished.

Rear end: Original 8 ¾, 3.55 gears. Has been sandblasted/epoxy primed but not tore down and rebuilt.

Body: The body has been sandblasted/epoxy primed. The doors and deck lid have been stripped/epoxy primed inside and out. Rear window plug has been removed, sandblasted and epoxy primed as well. The roof and outsides of the 1/4s have not been stripped yet. There is some rust issues in the lower 1/4s that would need to be addressed. There is some new AMD sheet metal: trunk floor, lh floor pan and rear deck filler (Dutchman) panel. The original Superbird front end parts were swapped out for regular Roadrunner parts when the car was wrecked in the early seventies. The upper core support was changed at that time so the VIN is not there. The original trunk lip VIN is still there. There is a hood and fenders from a 70 Coronet. They would need the appropriate modifications to be correct for the Superbird. The lower fender extensions are there. Missing the nosecone and the majority of the associated pieces. There is a new chin spoiler and new front turn signal lenses with NOS housings.

Interior: This car has white seats, white door panels, blue dash frame, dash pad, steering column, seat belts and B7 blue upper door frames. The seat belts have been restored by Snake Oyl. I believe there are new seat covers from Legendary Auto Interiors. There is a new black carpet kit which is incorrect, would need to be replaced with the correct blue carpet. Original style blue steering wheel is gone. There is used console that needs to be restored. Has original Rallye gauges showing around 43,000 miles.

Miscellaneous: New Glen Ray 26" Radiator. Wiper motor has been restored. Would need 14" rallye wheels, trim rings and tires to be correct (had aftermarket aluminum wheels). Both correct jacks, scissor and bumper, are present.

I am listing this for a friend and do not have any pics. You can email him for pics and call for more info if you are interested. His name is John. Phone number is 607-382-8964. Email address is Johnhkrause@yahoo.com. $80,000 firm. Car is located in Western NY.

rainbow4jd

His friend must not be too bright if he's unable to list something himself.   I bet he'll take $40,000 in monopoly money and a My Little Pony play set.

Aero426

This is the car about 1975.   It is a real Superbird.    It was found by the current owner about 2002 wearing the same paint.

Aero426

Current owner (John Krause) with the car in 2002.

FJ5WING

Doug, Do you know if the Blue interior is factory?
wingless now, but still around.

Redbird

Doug,

How many of the real oddball Superbirds are accounted for? Are there 3 Root Beer exterior cars, including one with a hemi? What about non-black/white interiors? Anything else real oddball?

Aero426

Quote from: FJ5WING on February 11, 2014, 12:11:40 PM
Doug, Do you know if the Blue interior is factory?

No, today is the first I have heard of that.   

Aero426

Quote from: Redbird on February 11, 2014, 12:28:56 PM
Doug,

How many of the real oddball Superbirds are accounted for? Are there 3 Root Beer exterior cars, including one with a hemi? What about non-black/white interiors? Anything else real oddball?

Just two root beer cars in the database.    Like I said, today is the first time I am hearing of a non-standard interior color.   

Alaskan_TA

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Redbird on February 11, 2014, 12:28:56 PM
Doug,

There's a b5/b5 bucket seat Superbird that's been documented, it's on the Winged warriors  site (NBBOA)

birdman1970

May not the sharpest tool in the shed but things change. If I don't sell it I will restore it as time allows. $80K is firm not 40, SORRY!  Galen said of its color combo is a rarity. Less than 1% chance of another with the same UDF and white bucket and door panels.
I have spoke to Harry who has the blue on blue car and the only difference on our broadcast sheets are his blue seat covers and door panels where mine are white. He may also have 15" tires and mine are 14".
  Great club forum here. Keep up the good communications everyone!!!!!

Ghoste

A unique car for sure, I wonder if there are only the two of them?

Redbird

Barry, the only interiors that were supposed to be available were black or white bench or buckets.

On that note I think the car being discussed is neat.  I also know there is a  difference between rare, desirable, and valuable. My take in this is that I'd see a 20% or so bump in price beyond a white interior car. For me I'd much rather have a white interior car with a woodgrain steering wheel, than a partial blue interior blue steering wheel. White interior, woodgrain steering wheel car, I love.  And I'd much rather have any 6 bbl car over a partial blue interior car, even a yellow exterior car.

I see where the 2 (as per Doug) or 3 (as per David Patik) Rootbeer  exterior cars get a lot of bump. But a partial Blue interior car, not so much. And missing the original cone and Z braces- big and I mean big deduction. Non matching # dynoed engine about $10 over a stock engine.  :Twocents:\\

Cool car, hope it gets restored.

rainbow4jd

For me this is "interesting" - but not desirable.

Once you get past the basics of engine, tranny, paint, then interior is the next factor and with interior really only white, and white buckets, are of any significance.

The blue/white combination MAY put it in the vicinity of white buckets, but given a choice - I'd take the white buckets.

NOW, maybe if it was a blue/white interior on a yellow car or something really, really odd.