News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1968 Steering column - any exploded diagrams out there ? (*photos taken*)

Started by sportony, April 04, 2012, 09:55:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sportony

Replacing steering column on my charger. (automatic slap stick, power steering car).  I have researched this in the archives, so know this question has been asked in the past, but as far as I can gather, not with much success.  Just looking to see if any one out there has an exploded diagram of a 68 or 69 steering column from a service manual ??  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

moparfan53

I don't have a service manual but here is the parts book view. Maybe it will help.

sportony

sportony

Not sure if I have this right.  Have the inner column and steering shaft out. Want to reinstall the steering shaft into the inner column, then inner column into outer column. Running into some difficulty and any help from the experts would be greatly appreciated, to see if I got this set up correctly.

1)   Not sure how the ring / washer that goes around the inner column fits securely within the outer column.  This is towards the stearing wheel end of the shaft.  I see some notches (3) along the inside of the outer shaft, towards the front part of the opening.  Does the ring / wahser setup somehow lock into this ? 

2)  Not sure if I have the set up correctly at the end of the shaft as it hooks up to the steering coupler. Its gotta be one of the two below. 
      a.  retainer ring, spring, nylon bushing, coupler seal ?
      b.   spring (without ring), nylon bushing, coupler seal ?

sportony

More pics

gtx6970

I have to think about this for a bit,, memory isn't what it used to be and doing multiple projects / cars at once has it's down sides

but I don't remember a coil type spring in either the 69 columns I have done there is one in a 67 column though

the wave washer goes on top of the round clip you have, and the round clip sits down against the tabs in the column jacket

sportony

Bill - thanks for your input

The washer and round clip - how exactly does it sit in the column jacket against the tabs ?  Any pics or drawings ?  Does it just "rest" against the tabs ?

gtx6970

sportony